Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AIX CTD
Battlefield SinglePlayer Forum > BF2/2142 Mod Development > AI-X Forum > AI-X Discussion
BrunoSardine
I used to play this all the time before BF3 came out, since then I've been playing BF3 but I decided I want to come back to AIX for a little bit.

I started up AIX and noticed that no music is playing anymore which I thought was strange. After selecting my profile or whatever, I click the singleplayer tab and then the game crashes to desktop with no error message.

I've done 2 complete re-installs of BF2, 3 complete re-installs of AIX and even tried downloading the 1.41 patch and also the AIX 1.5 fix. Nothing works.

BF2SPCC doesn't work, and all of this is starting to piss me off. Somehow not playing the game for a couple months automatically makes stuff not work?

Windows 7 32 bit. Steam version of BF2. Maybe somebody can help, I'm at the point where I don't even want to bother, too much trouble for something that should just work.
clivewil
go here and see if the mentioned python files sort out your troubles

btw, the reason it happens is normally due to an improper shutdown of BF2, either via a CTD or process-manager quit. when the stats system first starts up, it swaps out some python files and under normal circumstances would swap them back again when the game closes. with a bad shutdown, this step is missed resulting in a broken game. the python files in the link should restore everything that is missing
BrunoSardine
QUOTE (clivewil @ Dec 28 2011, 11:12 PM) *

Already tried, no success.
clivewil
window mode? any meaningful error message?
BrunoSardine
QUOTE (clivewil @ Dec 28 2011, 11:16 PM) *
window mode? any meaningful error message?

Nope, just crashes straight to desktop with no error message.
AmyJones
Just for shits and gigs mind you, since you run BF3 we won't need your system specs...does BF2 work standalone on single player?
BrunoSardine
QUOTE (AmyJones @ Dec 28 2011, 11:28 PM) *
Just for shits and gigs mind you, since you run BF3 we won't need your system specs...does BF2 work standalone on single player?

Yeah, BF2 standalone works fine, it's just AIX giving me the problem.
M.Combat
When a BF2 mod starts up without music it generally means the mod didn't launch correctly. Is it the vanilla movie that plays in the menu background or the AIX one? If its vanilla then your AIX shortcut is broken and you could try launching through the community tab.

If your lacking music yet the movie in the background is still the AIX one then I think maybe your install is being corrupted possibly due to firewall or anti virus.
AmyJones
Oh a major detail I overlooked is this. Have you ran AIX 2.0 with the steam version before? I know it's not easily compatible with FH2 mod.
BrunoSardine
QUOTE (AmyJones @ Dec 28 2011, 11:37 PM) *
Oh a major detail I overlooked is this. Have you ran AIX 2.0 with the steam version before? I know it's not easily compatible with FH2 mod.

Yeah, like I said, I played AIX 2.0 with the Steam version (only one I own) of BF2 for awhile. I only stopped because BF3 came out, and now it's not working.
AmyJones
I'm just trying to be help full, I'm sorry it's not working. Last question I have is does this crash if you choose to open AIX 2.0 on the original start up icon or BFSPCC ? I'm asking if it crashes on both.
BrunoSardine
QUOTE (AmyJones @ Dec 28 2011, 11:45 PM) *
I'm just trying to be help full, I'm sorry it's not working. Last question I have is does this crash if you choose to open AIX 2.0 on the original start up icon or BFSPCC ? I'm asking if it crashes on both.

It crashes on both instances, yeah
AmyJones

btw, the reason it happens is normally due to an improper shutdown of BF2, either via a CTD or process-manager quit. when the stats system first starts up, it swaps out some python files and under normal circumstances would swap them back again when the game closes. with a bad shutdown, this step is missed resulting in a broken game. the python files in the link should restore everything that is missing

Last option I have for you is this, did you apply this fix for 1.4 or 1.5?
BrunoSardine
QUOTE (AmyJones @ Dec 28 2011, 11:59 PM) *

Last option I have for you is this, did you apply this fix for 1.4 or 1.5?

1.5, I'm not entirely sure if I can even revert it back to 1.4 with the Steam version of BF2.
AmyJones
Well then we may have found your problem. AIX works best on 1.4, I would suggest getting a disc copy which will only run you $20 at any GameStop. There are 1.5 fixes but these are not made by the Modding community and may not work for steam version copies.
M.Combat
QUOTE (M.Combat @ Dec 29 2011, 12:35 PM) *
When a BF2 mod starts up without music it generally means the mod didn't launch correctly. Is it the vanilla movie that plays in the menu background or the AIX one? If its vanilla then your AIX shortcut is broken and you could try launching through the community tab.

If your lacking music yet the movie in the background is still the AIX one then I think maybe your install is being corrupted possibly due to firewall or anti virus.

Did this get lost in the thread?

Also 1.5 works flawless with my AIX
BrunoSardine
QUOTE (M.Combat @ Dec 29 2011, 03:20 AM) *
QUOTE (M.Combat @ Dec 29 2011, 12:35 PM) *

Did this get lost in the thread?

Also 1.5 works flawless with my AIX

Just an update, now BF2 standalone is having issues. It's crashing when it's trying to load a map in singleplayer.

What in the Hell could be going wrong here?

Also, I see the point you're trying to make about it being the anti-virus, but I don't entirely know how I'm supposed to troubleshoot that. Re-install with my anti-virus turned off or something?
Juliusz
update 01.04.2012
I heard that there is a common problem with running mods on STEAM version of BF2
it is described here (they also proposed a FIX):

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-pr-bf2...vers-steam.html

Hi,
I just realized I cannot run AIX2.0 anymore??? This is weird... It was working properly, and then... Similar story...

Steps:
I run AIX2.0,
I get the movie, working O.K. with sound,
I login to my online account,
I get the menu screen coming after login,
I can access the following tabs: Options, Community, BFHQ,
After I click on: MP&COOP or Single Player - I get immediate CTD (crash to desktop)

More details:
- I have BF2 on STEAM (latest patch 1.5 is installed automatically),
- at this moment BF2 is working properly - no issues,
- few weeks ago AIX2.0 was working like a charm!,
- did not play AIX2.0 for a while (few weeks),
- I got BF3 from Santa,
- I installed newest 12.1 Catalyst,
- Since I am unfortunate HD4800 series owner I tested AIX2.0 & BF2 on Catalyst 12.1 and got flickering (problem described here: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...p;enterthread=y ), but AIX2.0 was working during that time,
- I installed BF3 and I did not start AIX2.0, nor BF2 since then, until today, when I realized AIX2.0 is not working (BF2 is working).

My repair attempts so far:
I tried PYTHON fix (thank you Clivewil!) - no help;
I created new online account - no help;
I uninstalled AIX2.0 & BF2, deleted game folder, deleted Battlefield2 folder from documents, then installed everything back - no help (BF2 is working, AIX2.0 CTD after clicking on MP&COOP or SINGLE PLAYER.

Next steps:
I am going to revert back to Catalyst 11.3 and uninstall BF3. I will post the results here, later. (Since I have a cold and cannot enjoy the party tonight...)

UPDATE - SOLUTION (updated on 3 January):
(Reverting to Catalyst 11.3 did not help. I did not uninstall BF3)
I checked for STEAM client updates (in STEAM menu);
it told me the the STEAM CLIENT SERVICE is not installed, and that it will install that;
so it did;
problem solved!
AIX2.0 is working like a charm smile.gif

Happy New Year!!!

update:
(after investigating same STEAM problem on my friend's PC):

entering AIX2.0 through BF2 (COMMUNITY tab) is also helpful !
apply fixes mentioned above in this thread, if it still fails, start BF2 from STEAM, go to COMMUNITY tab, and start AIX2.0 from custom games.

summarizing the troubleshooting steps with AIX2.0 on STEAM BF2 (which got broken recently we do not know why...):
1. checked for STEAM client updates (in STEAM menu); will tell you that the STEAM CLIENT SERVICE is not installed, and will install that;

2. check if the STEAM CLIENT SERVICE is actually running. It could be installed, but it may be switched to MANUAL, or DISABLED, etc. You may go here:
Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools (that is for Win 7, may be slightly different for other version of Win),
and run SERVICES shortcut;
SERVICES window will popup, please sort them by NAME and look for STEAM CLIENT SERVICE;
on the STATUS column you will see if it is actually running;
STARTUP TYPE will tell you, well you know what
anyway, if it is not running, you may double click on that service, (window will popup), and START it there (you may also change the startup type to automatic to avoid further problems).
System restart should not be necessary, but you may also give it a try.
Next step could be installig AIX_2.0_CORE_MOD.exe an top of everything you have now - could be some files got corrupted somehow?

3. if it still fails, start BF2 from STEAM, go to COMMUNITY tab, and start AIX2.0 from custom games.

4. replace PYTHON files according to CLIVEWIL here:
http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...showtopic=16537

5. reinstall AIX_2.0_CORE_MOD.exe on top of everything you got now.

good luck!

Juliusz
AmyJones
It seems the newer versions of STEAM BF2 do not work well if at all with most mods at the present time. I have been told there's been problems with forgotten hope and project reality.

*I would suggest a Mod make a Sticky about this issue perhaps.
Juliusz
I reverted back to Catalyst 11.3 - still no help...
Seems I am left with uninstalling BF3, but it was several hours of downloading from Origin...
You suggest possible STEAM issue??? Hmmm... That would be weird...
What else did I change between the time AIX2.0 was working and now...
Any particular Windows 7 64bit update, perhaps?
Started AIX2.0 in windowed mode: no messages, windows simply disappears each time i click on MP&COOP or SINGLE PLAYER.
Hmmm, how can I get more troubleshooting help, any logs? where? how?
Juliusz
Well, I followed the STEAM suggestion despite my disbelief...
it told me the the STEAM CLIENT SERVICE is not installed, and that it will install that;
so it did;
problem solved!

Happy New Year!

P.S.
I will update my previous post to include this info - will be easier for others...
But, that was strange: BF2 was working - but AIX2.0 not. Only because of STEAM CLIENT SERVICE...
BrunoSardine
QUOTE (Juliusz @ Dec 31 2011, 02:31 PM) *
so it did;
problem solved!

Happy New Year!

P.S.
I will update my previous post to include this info - will be easier for others...
But, that was strange: BF2 was working - but AIX2.0 not. Only because of STEAM CLIENT SERVICE...

I'll have to give that a try. I'll update on my findings.

Update: It fixed BF2 standalone but not AIX.
Juliusz
QUOTE (BrunoSardine @ Jan 1 2012, 01:42 AM) *
so it did;
problem solved!

Happy New Year!

P.S.

Hmmm... Please check if the STEAM CLIENT SERVICE is actually running. It could be installed, but it may be switched to MANUAL, or DISABLED, etc. You may go here:
Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools (that is for Win 7, may be slightly different for other version of Win),
SERVICES window will popup, please sort them by NAME and look for STEAM CLIENT SERVICE;
STARTUP TYPE will tell you, well you know what smile.gif
anyway, if it is not running, you may double click on that service, (window will popup), and START it there (you may also change the startup type to automatic to avoid further problems).
Next step could be installig AIX_2.0_CORE_MOD.exe an top of everything you have now - could be some files got corrupted somehow?
Good luck!
BrunoSardine
QUOTE (Juliusz @ Jan 1 2012, 05:42 AM) *
QUOTE (BrunoSardine @ Jan 1 2012, 01:42 AM) *
so it did;
problem solved!

Happy New Year!

P.S.

Hmmm... Please check if the STEAM CLIENT SERVICE is actually running. It could be installed, but it may be switched to MANUAL, or DISABLED, etc. You may go here:
STARTUP TYPE will tell you, well you know what smile.gif
Good luck!

Okay, after doing the Steam Client Service fix, I can run AIX 2.0, but only if I launch it from the Community tab of BF2.

AIX 2.0 doesn't work with the BF2SPCC tool.
Juliusz
[/quote]

Okay, after doing the Steam Client Service fix, I can run AIX 2.0, but only if I launch it from the Community tab of BF2.

AIX 2.0 doesn't work with the BF2SPCC tool.

[/quote]

I do not use BF2SPCC so I cannot help you with this. But, concerning running AIX2.0 from the Community tab:
maybe your AIX2.0 shortcut got messed up somehow? You may try to create a new shortcut to BF2.exe (right click - send to desktop as shortcut), then you may edit your shortcut (right click - properties) and add: +modPath mods/aix2 to the TARGET, so the complete TARGET line would look like this:
"C:\......\Steam\steamapps\common\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +modPath mods/aix2
(\......\ is where your Steam folder is located)
Hope above helps. Good luck!
Juliusz
update:
(after investigating same STEAM problem on my friend's PC):

entering AIX2.0 through BF2 (COMMUNITY tab) is also helpful !
apply fixes mentioned above in this thread, if it still fails, start BF2 from STEAM, go to COMMUNITY tab, and start AIX2.0 from custom games.

summarizing the troubleshooting steps with AIX2.0 on STEAM BF2 (which got broken recently we do not know why...):
1. checked for STEAM client updates (in STEAM menu); will tell you that the STEAM CLIENT SERVICE is not installed, and will install that;

2. check if the STEAM CLIENT SERVICE is actually running. It could be installed, but it may be switched to MANUAL, or DISABLED, etc. You may go here:
STARTUP TYPE will tell you, well you know what

3. if it still fails, start BF2 from STEAM, go to COMMUNITY tab, and start AIX2.0 from custom games.

4. replace PYTHON files according to CLIVEWIL here:
http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...showtopic=16537

5. reinstall AIX_2.0_CORE_MOD.exe on top of everything you got now.

good luck!
Bobrpggamer
Hey, I have been playing bf2 for years and love all the single player mods - especialy AIX 2.

Anyway I was having the same problem as everyone else and thought I was doomed to be AIXless. Then I read this post and followed the steam advice and intalled the client service (why this was not intalled already I don't know) and then went into AIX with the community tab and got in the game.

I guess I pretty much just registered on the forum to thank you!

I think this is a windows 7 issue, because I was playing AIX 2.0 with steam on XP a couple of monthes ago with no problems.

I don't want to Hijack this thread but I have just one question: Is BF3 similar to BF2 as far as single player or more like Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Thanks again.
clivewil
Is BF3 similar to BF2 as far as single player or more like Battlefield Bad Company 2

it is like BC2, not at all like BF2.

i bought BF3 just before christmas, and played through the SP campaign, not really enjoying it, until i got to the part with aircraft, where the 'control binding bug' pretty much stopped me in my tracks after a couple of hours' play. i haven't even checked back to see if any patches are out to fix it, my expectations are too low to bother.

BF3 is very very pretty but never gets loaded up. BF2 is nowhere near as pretty by comparison but i have already loaded it up today. and yesterday. day before too.
Colonel_Korg
Couple of things.. Some of my buddies in Night Watch Militia had this same issue with the Steam version of BF2/AIX. They decided to just get the BF2 disk from EA and totally scrubbed their systems of the Steam virus.. er.. ah software. Problem solved.

As for BF3, I agree with Clive, it looks great but the SP mode is stupid.

I played it for 10 minutes and put the disk back in the box. I don't like being lead around on a leash to play a bit part in a animated action comic book.

I just want to get in there and slug it out with some bots. I DON'T want to be told a story or be part of a story.

EA/DICE: YOU ARE NOT LISTENING TO YOUR FAN BASE! You screwed the pooch again! You didn't learn from BFBC2?

I will be playing BF2/AIX and MODDING it for a long time to come.

Korg sends
Bobrpggamer
This is probably the reason there was no demo to play.

I too hate being led around and told what to do. If I knew what BBC2 was about I wouldn't have bought it. Now I will not buy BF3. I love playing botmatches and for some reason thought that BBC2 had this.

Thanks for the Advice.
clivewil
in a strange ironic twist, i think that the only hope left for a true Battlefield game now lies with ArmA 3.

with open ended bot gameplay and modding support, BIS still include the things in ArmA that Dice figured we wouldn't notice were missing from BF.
Colonel_Korg
QUOTE (clivewil @ Jan 4 2012, 08:00 PM) *
in a strange ironic twist, i think that the only hope left for a true Battlefield game now lies with ArmA 3.

with open ended bot gameplay and modding support, BIS still include the things in ArmA that Dice figured we wouldn't notice were missing from BF.

Clive,

In your opinion, how difficult is Arma 3 to mod compared to BF2?
clivewil
ArmA3 isn't out yet afaik, but i'd expect it to be similar to ArmA2.

the code for A2 is very different from BF2, but having said that, i managed with no prior knowledge to add extra ammo to my heli, and to pepper spare helis across the map. also managed to add some extra enemies and make them follow whatever commands i'd set out for them. it took a couple of hours to nut it out, much the same timeframe as BF2 code would take for a first-timer

A2's main criticism is that it feels a bit clunky to operate during gameplay; their UI isn't the best (but someone may have modded a new UI system in my absence, i haven't been to their forum for a while) - i'd hope they streamline things better for A3
Colonel_Korg
Thanks Clive.

I will look into ArmA 2 and how it's modded.

Korg sends
Juliusz
Hi,
getting back to problems with MODs (including AIX2.0) CTD on STEAM versions of BF2:
I just found the following link (they also propose a FIX):

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-pr-bf2...vers-steam.html

Juliusz
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.