I heard that there is a common problem with running mods on STEAM version of BF2
it is described here (they also proposed a FIX):http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-pr-bf2...vers-steam.html
I just realized I cannot run AIX2.0 anymore??? This is weird... It was working properly, and then... Similar story...
I run AIX2.0,
I get the movie, working O.K. with sound,
I login to my online account,
I get the menu screen coming after login,
I can access the following tabs: Options, Community, BFHQ,
After I click on: MP&COOP or Single Player - I get immediate CTD (crash to desktop)
- I have BF2 on STEAM (latest patch 1.5 is installed automatically),
- at this moment BF2 is working properly - no issues,
- few weeks ago AIX2.0 was working like a charm!,
- did not play AIX2.0 for a while (few weeks),
- I got BF3 from Santa,
- I installed newest 12.1 Catalyst,
- Since I am unfortunate HD4800 series owner I tested AIX2.0 & BF2 on Catalyst 12.1 and got flickering (problem described here: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...p;enterthread=y
), but AIX2.0 was working during that time,
- I installed BF3 and I did not start AIX2.0, nor BF2 since then, until today, when I realized AIX2.0 is not working (BF2 is working).
My repair attempts so far:
I tried PYTHON fix (thank you Clivewil!) - no help;
I created new online account - no help;
I uninstalled AIX2.0 & BF2, deleted game folder, deleted Battlefield2 folder from documents, then installed everything back - no help (BF2 is working, AIX2.0 CTD after clicking on MP&COOP or SINGLE PLAYER.
I am going to revert back to Catalyst 11.3 and uninstall BF3. I will post the results here, later. (Since I have a cold and cannot enjoy the party tonight...)
UPDATE - SOLUTION (updated on 3 January):
(Reverting to Catalyst 11.3 did not help. I did not uninstall BF3)
I checked for STEAM client updates (in STEAM menu);
it told me the the STEAM CLIENT SERVICE is not installed, and that it will install that;
so it did;
AIX2.0 is working like a charm
Happy New Year!!!update:
(after investigating same STEAM problem on my friend's PC):
entering AIX2.0 through BF2 (COMMUNITY tab) is also helpful !
apply fixes mentioned above in this thread, if it still fails, start BF2 from STEAM, go to COMMUNITY tab, and start AIX2.0 from custom games.
summarizing the troubleshooting steps with AIX2.0 on STEAM BF2 (which got broken recently we do not know why...):
1. checked for STEAM client updates (in STEAM menu); will tell you that the STEAM CLIENT SERVICE is not installed, and will install that;
2. check if the STEAM CLIENT SERVICE is actually running. It could be installed, but it may be switched to MANUAL, or DISABLED, etc. You may go here:
Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools (that is for Win 7, may be slightly different for other version of Win),
and run SERVICES shortcut;
SERVICES window will popup, please sort them by NAME and look for STEAM CLIENT SERVICE;
on the STATUS column you will see if it is actually running;
STARTUP TYPE will tell you, well you know what
anyway, if it is not running, you may double click on that service, (window will popup), and START it there (you may also change the startup type to automatic to avoid further problems).
System restart should not be necessary, but you may also give it a try.
Next step could be installig AIX_2.0_CORE_MOD.exe an top of everything you have now - could be some files got corrupted somehow?
3. if it still fails, start BF2 from STEAM, go to COMMUNITY tab, and start AIX2.0 from custom games.
4. replace PYTHON files according to CLIVEWIL here:
5. reinstall AIX_2.0_CORE_MOD.exe on top of everything you got now.