IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

How do I convert a vanilla map into Alpha Project?
Hjaldrgud
post Dec 4 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #1

Enlisted

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 12,044

Title kinda explains it all. I have absolutely fallen in love with Alpha Project. It fills out so much of the void left by vanilla BF2 while still not feeling as 'bloated' as AIX2.0.

There are some things I want back, for instance vanilla Mashtuur City. Since the kits and the vehicles are named the same, I just wanted to test if I could straight out copy the map into the AP folder. I could load the map without problems, but they soon came...

1. Problem: all the weapon (like all the weapons from all three armies) Icons were bunched together up in the special forces kit.

2. Problem: When suiciding, the game crashes because of Alpha Project's kit physics
CODE
D:\DiceCanada\BoosterPack2\Code\BF2\Physics\CollisionManager.cpp(599): Assert: Physics: (it != m_collisionMeshMap.end()) No collision mesh with name "p_weapondrop_m16a2"

Any ways to "Alpha Projectify" a map? Would removing gameplayobjects and creating that from scratch inside BF2 Map Editor with AP loaded do the trick, or am I missing something here?

EDIT: Stupid me did not find the tutorial on AP's ModDB site... http://www.moddb.com/mods/alpha-project2/t...sation-tutorial

Bonus questions:

3. The player hands on the driving wheels are using a control point. I have no idea why and I bet it is a genious workaround to make it work, however it totally slows the editor down to a crawl with the editor log constantly spamming "more than one controlpoint with controlpoint id 276", making it almost completely impossible to edit AP maps.

4. There are some navmesh that is bugging me, namely on Wake Island as the infantry bots like all too much to use the inner beach to move around rather than on top of the island where the roads go. I looked at the navmesh and found a lot of the navmesh is under the ground on top of the road. I also read somewhere that the navmesh kinda screws up when there is no objects around that it can snap unto so it takes the path of least resistance (or something like that, I sadly can't find the site I found it on) Is this true? Can I lay down some more palms to hinder the navmesh to disappear into the ground? If so, how do I delete the existing navmesh on the map and regenerate it?

I know that is A LOT of questions and it would take quite some time to answer. Perhaps I have overseen some tutorials somewhere, so it would be GREATLY appreciated if someone could point me in a direction to solve these problems. Thank you for your time.

This post has been edited by Hjaldrgud: Dec 5 2017, 09:52 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Death_EnForcer
post Dec 6 2017, 06:30 AM
Post #2

Dictator
Group Icon

Group: BFSP Team
Member No.: 294

Normally if you want to convert a vanilla map into another mod, you would replace the kits in the init.con from the vanilla map with the version from the new mod. It appears to me that AP2 has a different kit which you should use in the init.con of the server.zip.
example Dalian Plant vanilla
CODE
rem -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

gameLogic.setTeamName 1 "CH"
gameLogic.setTeamName 2 "US"

gameLogic.setTeamLanguage 1 "Chinese"
gameLogic.setTeamLanguage 2 "English"

gameLogic.setTeamFlag 0 "flag_neutral"
gameLogic.setTeamFlag 1 "flag_ch"
gameLogic.setTeamFlag 2 "flag_us"

gameLogic.setKit 1 0 "CH_Specops" "ch_light_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 2 0 "US_Specops" "us_light_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 1 "CH_Sniper" "ch_light_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 2 1 "US_Sniper" "us_light_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 2 "CH_Assault" "ch_heavy_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 2 2 "US_Assault" "us_heavy_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 3 "CH_Support" "ch_heavy_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 2 3 "US_Support" "us_heavy_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 4 "CH_Engineer" "ch_light_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 2 4 "US_Engineer" "us_light_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 5 "CH_Medic" "ch_light_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 2 5 "US_Medic" "us_light_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 6 "CH_AT" "ch_heavy_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 2 6 "US_AT" "us_heavy_soldier"

Example Dalian plant AP2
CODE
rem -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

gameLogic.setTeamName 1 "CH"
gameLogic.setTeamName 2 "US"

gameLogic.setTeamLanguage 1 "Chinese"
gameLogic.setTeamLanguage 2 "English"

gameLogic.setTeamFlag 0 "flag_neutral"
gameLogic.setTeamFlag 1 "flag_ch"
gameLogic.setTeamFlag 2 "flag_us"

gameLogic.setKit 1 0 "CH_Specops" "ch_specops_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 2 0 "US_Specops" "us_specops_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 1 "CH_Sniper" "ch_sniper_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 2 1 "US_Sniper" "us_sniper_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 2 "CH_Assault" "ch_assault_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 2 2 "US_Assault" "us_assault_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 3 "CH_Support" "ch_support_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 2 3 "US_Support" "us_support_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 4 "CH_Engineer" "ch_engineer_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 2 4 "US_Engineer" "us_engineer_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 5 "CH_Medic" "ch_medic_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 2 5 "US_Medic" "us_medic_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 1 6 "CH_AT" "ch_at_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 2 6 "US_AT" "us_at_soldier"

Looks different to me.

Question about Navmesh.
Adding statics to change the navmesh is advanced stuff and I didn't have too much luck with it. First learn to navmesh, which is not easy and then maybe you try adding statics.
Here's a topic with navmeshing and statics.
http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...mp;#entry201945

+Quote Post
Hjaldrgud
post Dec 7 2017, 08:36 PM
Post #3

Enlisted

Thank you. Yeah, I tried to block with rocks and shipwrecks, but it just clogged the bots together. I think I'll let it be until I will try to learn the navmesh stuff.

I have started porting over the Special Forces maps and vehicles to make them work in Alpha Project. Sadly, I have a problem with getting the AIL-raider to work properly. The game does not recognise that it has the texture that it needs in the correct place, so it CTD's during load:

It works fine in the debugger, although without the texture

What do I not understand here?

+Quote Post
Death_EnForcer
post Dec 8 2017, 06:16 AM
Post #4

Dictator
Group Icon

The following Topic might help you fix the texture problem.
http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...showtopic=13933

+Quote Post
clivewil
post Dec 8 2017, 07:26 AM
Post #5

meh.
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 3,545

QUOTE (Hjaldrgud @ Dec 5 2017, 09:55 AM) *
I also read somewhere that the navmesh kinda screws up when there is no objects around that it can snap unto so it takes the path of least resistance (or something like that, I sadly can't find the site I found it on) Is this true?

the issue you're thinking of is where the navmesh generator tries to optimise its output by simplifying the navmesh, and it makes small undulations in the ground into a flat area that can be represented by just a few polys

the problem begins when the undulations in the ground are in fact dunes about 20 ft high in a large desert, for example - in the big overall picture they get smoothed out as they are relatively insignificant in the vast wide desert, but in the game world itself we have the navmesh varying up to 20 ft above or below the soldiers/vehicles on the terrain, causing dead bots and zombies and random walkers and other insane a.i. goodies whenever they got too far from it

to avoid this, we used to put small statics like fenceposts or light poles regularly throughout the map wherever over-optimisation was likely to be a problem, (e.g. along the top and foot of a hill, along road verges, etc.) then gen the navmesh, and delete the extra statics afterwards. whatever holes the statics left, the bots would simply avoid (because as far as navigation goes, the bots see the navmesh, not the map)

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Dec 8 2017, 09:09 AM
Post #6

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Hjaldrgud @ Dec 7 2017, 09:36 PM) *
I have started porting over the Special Forces maps and vehicles to make them work in Alpha Project. Sadly, I have a problem with getting the AIL-raider to work properly. The game does not recognise that it has the texture that it needs in the correct place, so it CTD's during load:

It works fine in the debugger, although without the texture

What do I not understand here?

I had this same problem when converting some DCON vehicles over to AIX 2.0 in my personal mod..

The way I fixed it? I converted the offending textures from .TGA to .DDS

No idea why this bug happens. No idea why converting it to .dds fixed it. Just did. dunno.gif

This fix is listed in the List of Important Modding Threads under the "Hud/Camera" section.

QUOTE (Listimportantblahblah)
I moved a weapon/vehicle from one mod to another, and the HUD files won't work?! - Answer, You need to save the HUD pics as .DDS files, the game will not read .tga files. Also, see below....

--------------------

+Quote Post
clivewil
post Dec 8 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #7

meh.
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,545

QUOTE (MasterChiefRulZ @ Dec 8 2017, 11:09 PM) *
No idea why converting it to .dds fixed it. Just did.

with the .tga extension, it would expect to find the texture in the atlas - which it would fail to do.

by making it a .dds, it will use that one without looking for an atlassed version of it

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hjaldrgud
post Dec 15 2017, 02:42 PM
Post #8

Enlisted

Thanks guys.

After enjoying days of figuring out mod problem after mod problem and fixing them I am again COMPLETELY stuck. This time it is only semi related. I have created custom videos for intro and menu movie. The problem is that I can't convert it to .bik with RAD Video Tools. The program stops working. Anyone who has had similiar problems? I suspect it may have to be something with the program not working properly in windows 10 and that XP is required. I'm using this thread because I did not want to start another for a relatively small problem

This post has been edited by Hjaldrgud: Dec 15 2017, 02:49 PM

+Quote Post
Death_EnForcer
post Dec 15 2017, 05:37 PM
Post #9

Dictator
Group Icon

QUOTE (Hjaldrgud @ Dec 15 2017, 03:42 PM) *
Thanks guys.

After enjoying days of figuring out mod problem after mod problem and fixing them I am again COMPLETELY stuck. This time it is only semi related. I have created custom videos for intro and menu movie. The problem is that I can't convert it to .bik with RAD Video Tools. The program stops working. Anyone who has had similiar problems? I suspect it may have to be something with the program not working properly in windows 10 and that XP is required. I'm using this thread because I did not want to start another for a relatively small problem

Usually if a program is not working correctly in Windows 10, then you go into the exe properties and set the compatibility to XP and run as administrator. Good luck.

+Quote Post
Hjaldrgud
post Dec 16 2017, 12:00 PM
Post #10

Enlisted

QUOTE (Death_EnForcer @ Dec 16 2017, 12:37 AM) *
Usually if a program is not working correctly in Windows 10, then you go into the exe properties and set the compatibility to XP and run as administrator. Good luck.

Yes, I've tried that without any luck, I'm gonna borrow a guys old PC that has XP and see if that works. Thanks anyway.

On a related note on how to convert a map, what files are needed to make a custom vehicle visible in the editor? I have created an objectspawnerdef and the gameplayobjects.con works all fine and dandy ingame with the vehicles and pickup kits spawning. I would however appreciate if I could see the spawned, textured vehicle/pickup kit in the editor so I could figure out how to position them easier. Here is the log when making the objectspawner

I use the SPX1.2 mod to modify maps to work with Alpha Project, thus working around the problem of the strange 1p vehicle hands that messes with the map editor (More explained in my opening post)

+Quote Post
Death_EnForcer
post Dec 16 2017, 09:22 PM
Post #11

Dictator
Group Icon

QUOTE (Hjaldrgud @ Dec 16 2017, 01:00 PM) *
On a related note on how to convert a map, what files are needed to make a custom vehicle visible in the editor? I have created an objectspawnerdef and the gameplayobjects.con works all fine and dandy ingame with the vehicles and pickup kits spawning. I would however appreciate if I could see the spawned, textured vehicle/pickup kit in the editor so I could figure out how to position them easier. Here is the log when making the objectspawner

I use the SPX1.2 mod to modify maps to work with Alpha Project, thus working around the problem of the strange 1p vehicle hands that messes with the map editor (More explained in my opening post)

To get the Editor to see the files. I extracted my objects files into the Object folder of the mod that I was working on. Then I went into the Editor and Clicked on Mod on the Menu bar. Then you click on Mod Manager, then click on Editor Content.
Then I think I click on Add in the Add Specific files to load. You find the folder you want to add and select it and make sure it's now in the Selection List and has the box colored green. Then click OK and that should be it. Hopefully someone else
can confirm that or explain better. Good luck.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 07:00 AM