Bf2 Mountains Infantry
cataly63
post Nov 7 2017, 01:23 AM
Post #1

Captain

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 12,093

hello guys,

some of you know my Mountains Dogfight map, described in the same thread; I had the idea of transforming it into a version for the infantry; of course, given the enormous size of the original map, I just filled out a first village for testing: and, I must say, the result is quite encouraging. All the interest of proceeding from a satellite photo is that the natural aspect of the landscapes is preserved; to respect the shadows, the houses are placed on the places corresponding to the real buildings, as well as certain trees:

let things be clear; it is only a test map to explore this possibility; I realized that very few people pushed far enough in this direction: and as I am curious ......

Photos and videos will follow.
wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
kano
post Nov 8 2017, 11:05 AM
Post #2

Major
Group Icon

Group: BFSP Team
Member No.: 1,704

QUOTE (cataly63 @ Nov 7 2017, 02:23 AM) *
hello guys,

some of you know my Mountains Dogfight map, described in the same thread; I had the idea of transforming it into a version for the infantry; of course, given the enormous size of the original map, I just filled out a first village for testing: and, I must say, the result is quite encouraging. All the interest of proceeding from a satellite photo is that the natural aspect of the landscapes is preserved; to respect the shadows, the houses are placed on the places corresponding to the real buildings, as well as certain trees:

let things be clear; it is only a test map to explore this possibility; I realized that very few people pushed far enough in this direction: and as I am curious ......

Photos and videos will follow.
wink.gif

looked good!

--------------------

+Quote Post
cataly63
post Nov 8 2017, 12:26 PM
Post #3

Captain

thank you Kano, happy.gif

tonight, a first video is available: and everything is said in the description!
If you like it, or if you do not like it, be nice and tell me: constructive advices are always welcome; clapclap.gif

https://youtu.be/OSwrbOQudeo

+Quote Post
choplifter82
post Nov 8 2017, 02:16 PM
Post #4

Enlisted

Member No.: 12,405

Hey - brilliant job! The video reminds me of COD -the landscape is breathtaking! I love it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Michael Z Freema...
post Nov 9 2017, 04:21 PM
Post #5

Previously Xenephone
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,215

Wow. What is this engine capable of ? I love the z axis stuff. Other maps flat in comparison. Looking forward to playing smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
cataly63
post Nov 10 2017, 12:53 PM
Post #6

Captain

thanks guys; wink.gif I would like to please you directly, but my problem is that the map is so big that it would take me months of work to fill it with objects; I had thought of various gamemodes, each being intended for a particular village: as well as a last taking over the entire surface: ideally for a mod, like PR! But if I authorize the use of airplanes and helicopters, with the thousands of trees contained in the map, you will need a high-performance PC; which will certainly limit the number of amateur. In such dimensions, everything is yet to be discovered, and I advance, step by step! So, to sum it up, I will probably make a first release soon: maybe via my Google Drive; I send you the link by email, if you wish ...

In the meantime, this....

https://youtu.be/QxktKF135Ak

+Quote Post
choplifter82
post Nov 11 2017, 07:18 AM
Post #7

Enlisted

Man, thatīs the most impressive map Iīve ever seen in BF2!!The video is awesome - must be lots of work to navmesh these villages.Perhaps you could spread some 3 villages far apart like out of visual range f.e. in different valleys? Rendering would be possible then without fps drop perhaps, I donīt know, just an idea smile.gif

+Quote Post
Michael Z Freema...
post Nov 11 2017, 01:35 PM
Post #8

Previously Xenephone
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,215

QUOTE (cataly63 @ Nov 10 2017, 06:53 PM) *
thanks guys; wink.gif I would like to please you directly, but my problem is that the map is so big that it would take me months of work to fill it with objects; I had thought of various gamemodes, each being intended for a particular village: as well as a last taking over the entire surface: ideally for a mod, like PR! But if I authorize the use of airplanes and helicopters, with the thousands of trees contained in the map, you will need a high-performance PC; which will certainly limit the number of amateur. In such dimensions, everything is yet to be discovered, and I advance, step by step! So, to sum it up, I will probably make a first release soon: maybe via my Google Drive; I send you the link by email, if you wish ...

No probs. Know how long it can take. A PR guy spent 4 years working on a single map ! Plus there's a limit to the number of game play objects. So just having a small map with the your mountains as background and maybe some of the player area would be amazing enough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cataly63
post Nov 12 2017, 02:02 AM
Post #9

Captain

QUOTE (choplifter82 @ Nov 11 2017, 02:18 PM) *
Man, thatīs the most impressive map Iīve ever seen in BF2!!The video is awesome - must be lots of work to navmesh these villages.Perhaps you could spread some 3 villages far apart like out of visual range f.e. in different valleys? Rendering would be possible then without fps drop perhaps, I donīt know, just an idea smile.gif

that might be a good idea, Chop: and, indeed, I have another village, very far from the one in the video, which is almost finished: but, I think about it, there will be the problem of the navmesh; I can not have two navmesh on the map; and navmesher the whole mountain is, already, a real chalenge: besides, as I wish to continue the placement of objects thereafter, modifying the terrain, the complete navmesh will not correspond any more .... sad.gif

QUOTE (Michael Z Freeman @ Nov 11 2017, 08:35 PM) *
QUOTE (cataly63 @ Nov 10 2017, 06:53 PM) *

No probs. Know how long it can take. A PR guy spent 4 years working on a single map ! Plus there's a limit to the number of game play objects. So just having a small map with the your mountains as background and maybe some of the player area would be amazing enough.

I did not know that there is a limit number of objects; thank you Michael, for this info bigthumb.gif ! Do you know that number? And, does it also apply to overgrowth objects?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another new video ; it is quite similar to the previous (descent of the mountain), but a little longer and in HD!
wait the first 20 seconds for rendering to become acceptable mad.gif

https://youtu.be/71ntVJXIDbQ

For now, I'm trying to improve the quality, but youtube is compressing heavily and the final rendering is not famous so here mpeg4 in 1080p60 and 50 Kbps, it's the best I can do:

and so, if you have some way to improve that ........ rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by cataly63: Nov 12 2017, 02:32 AM

+Quote Post
choplifter82
post Nov 12 2017, 06:52 AM
Post #10

Enlisted

QUOTE (cataly63 @ Nov 12 2017, 02:02 AM) *

that might be a good idea, Chop: and, indeed, I have another village, very far from the one in the video, which is almost finished: but, I think about it, there will be the problem of the navmesh; I can not have two navmesh on the map; and navmesher the whole mountain is, already, a real chalenge: besides, as I wish to continue the placement of objects thereafter, modifying the terrain, the complete navmesh will not correspond any more .... sad.gif

Hey, awesome new video! I really love that map! The mountainīs view is sooo impressive!! What a phantastic map!
Your problems with navmeshing remind me of post no.12 (ff) here:
http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...showtopic=19361
Iīm sure, Clivewil will help you if you specify your problems smile.gif . But yeah, placement of objects should be always first before navmeshing.
Since BF2 is only running on a single core, perhaps one shouldnīt place too many objects on that map anyways. PR has some wonderful looking maps but they are lagging like hell if you donīt have 4GB RAM + 4 GHz processor + 2GB RAM graphic card at a minimum.
I mean, for BF2 only one single core must take the whole load -thatīs always a big limiting factor. Reducing the visibility would be very sad on that map. But of course, itīs your choice laugh.gif . I just thought, Iīd give some things to consider..

This post has been edited by choplifter82: Nov 12 2017, 07:34 AM

+Quote Post
cataly63
post Nov 12 2017, 09:16 AM
Post #11

Captain

thanks for the link, mate wink.gif :

when said that mountains navmeshing is a real challenge, it is because I already tried, several months ago: the problems are known: http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...19279&st=30

but, from my point of vue, the principal is the slope; what is the level of slope that bots can cross, on foot or in a vehicle ?: I have never been able to measure it; in 2007 Korben dallas was already asking that question: from maps, he noted ;

dalian - aiPathfinding.map.maxSlope 37
daqing - aiPathfinding.map.maxSlope 37
dv - aiPathfinding.map.maxSlope 37
fushe - aiPathfinding.map.maxSlope 37
oman - aiPathfinding.map.maxSlope 40
cleansweep - aiPathfinding.map.maxSlope 36
sharqi - aiPathfinding.map.maxSlope 43
songhua - aiPathfinding.map.maxSlope 42

while the bf2 mod aiPathfinding give:

aiPathfinding.createMap Infantry
aiPathfinding.map.maxSlope 30
aiPathfinding.map.headClearance 1.9
aiPathfinding.map.radius 0.25
aiPathfinding.map.allowedHeightDiff 2.5

aiPathfinding.createMap Vehicle
aiPathfinding.map.maxSlope 20
aiPathfinding.map.headClearance 3.5
aiPathfinding.map.radius 3.5
aiPathfinding.map.allowedHeightDiff 5.0

if I use the default navmeshing values, I get dozens of islands, useless to join; 3dsmax is not used for much because joining these islands does not guarantee that the bots will be able to cross the zones of too big height difference: one obtains then sorts of bottlenecks where bots accumulate without being able to go further.

if i increase the values of maxSlope, ok, i can have a unique island, but i take the risk of exceeding the bots crossing ability and i return with the same problem: bots want to go there but are not able to:

And then, hoping that all the zones of the map are reachable, it is unthinkable; exactly like in real mountains. unsure.gif

however, if anyone knows the maximum usable values, I would be very grateful; Clive, Master, or Dnamro, ... maybe !?

Anyway, it's clear that a way to avoid the problem, without having to level the mountain, would be to create a navmesh limited to one area: and for each new area, a new map:

Regarding aviation, and to avoid sudden exits, outside the often too small combat area, I delete the one used for the navmesh, and I create a bigger one: the aerial bots are only submitted to the AerialHeighMap , which is very practical: that's how bots can fly on the dogfight map while there is no navmesh on the ground.

This post has been edited by cataly63: Nov 12 2017, 09:27 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th November 2017 - 05:40 AM