Replies (1 - 14)
Death_EnForcer
post Oct 27 2017, 06:49 AM
Post #2

Dictator
Group Icon

Group: BFSP Team
Member No.: 294

Well, that's terrible news. I thought those games were abandonware. Looks like if they can't make a profit then no one else can get the games.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Michael Z Freema...
post Oct 27 2017, 07:46 AM
Post #3

Previously Xenephone
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,215

That's a very nice letter quoted on the page there. To me it reads (between the lines) ... "If you talk to us about removing all of our logo's and trademarks then we might consider allowing a limited use download of the game for retro gamers". So why are Revive signing off ? It looks like EA is trying to encourage them and is just worried about ... "Thing is, your websites may easily mislead visitors to believe that you are associated or affiliated with EA".

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Oct 27 2017, 08:40 AM
Post #4

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 46

Well,

That effectively kills BF2142! Without a master account server, BF2142 is dead. I just checked and the Revive launcher still works, but for how long? Probably only as long as the server lease is paid, which might be until the end of the month. This is exactly what I was afraid would happen - that EA would eventually get notice and stop it.

BF2, on the other hand, will continue to work in SP mode.

Edit - The reason that this means the end of the Revive team is because the team needs to be able to provide an easy to install download in order to keep a decent player base in order to get the donations needed to maintain the servers.

--------------------
No, my Avatar is not my dog.

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Oct 27 2017, 11:38 AM
Post #5

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

Oh well. I appreciate the Revive Team and what they did offering the old legacy BF titles in such a transparent and respectful way, which is probably why they received a tactful and polite C&D letter.

Hm. Hopefully GoG or someone out there will offer the old BF games for sale. This is important because lately Revive is was fast becoming the only place to get these old games.

If no one takes up the torch, the old BF games may die out entirely to newer players. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Death_EnForcer
post Oct 27 2017, 05:31 PM
Post #6

Dictator
Group Icon

QUOTE (Michael Z Freeman @ Oct 27 2017, 08:46 AM) *
That's a very nice letter quoted on the page there. To me it reads (between the lines) ... "If you talk to us about removing all of our logo's and trademarks then we might consider allowing a limited use download of the game for retro gamers". So why are Revive signing off ? It looks like EA is trying to encourage them and is just worried about ... "Thing is, your websites may easily mislead visitors to believe that you are associated or affiliated with EA".

EA Legal Quote
We need a favor though: we must ask that you stop throwing down Ammo Crates. In other, more legal-styled terms, please stop distributing copies of our game clients and using our trademarks, logos, and artwork on your sites. Thing is, your websites may easily mislead visitors to believe that you are associated or affiliated with EA and we’re the only ones that get to wear the Official EA dog tag. Since you’re Battlefield community members, we know that you are smart and helpful, and will respect that we must protect our intellectual property rights in the franchise.

It's pretty clear that they state
please stop distributing copies of our game clients
. But I think modding is ok. They just don't want the full game given away.

+Quote Post
Fastj@ck
post Oct 28 2017, 07:14 AM
Post #7

Major

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 5,523

Sofar i understand,. EA doesn't want more STANDALONE versions.

+Quote Post
M.Combat
post Oct 28 2017, 08:11 AM
Post #8

Mediocre animator and modder

Member No.: 2,251

As Dnamro mentioned, easy access to the client is the only thing that kept them afloat. I suspect the master server won't last much longer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Oct 28 2017, 09:02 AM
Post #9

You know the drill...
Group Icon

At this point it may strongly depend on how faithful those who already have the client keep coming back, and how they support Revive network from here on.

Nothing wrong with having a stats and server network as that wasn't the complaint from EA. It was using their logos, branding, and distributing the standalone game.

BF2Hub still exists.. so it's possible Revive could continue as a server solution.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Frosty98B
post Oct 28 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #10

Captain

Member No.: 10,231

I'd really like to see a word from the Revive team, explaining what their plan's going to be. mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Death_EnForcer
post Oct 28 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #11

Dictator
Group Icon

QUOTE (Frosty98B @ Oct 28 2017, 02:11 PM) *
I'd really like to see a word from the Revive team, explaining what their plan's going to be. mellow.gif

This is from their statement.
At this time, file downloads will be disabled.

This is probably the part where we have to say good bye. Before we leave the battlefield, we would like to thank all of the developers, artists, moderators, and last but not least every single player that helped make all of this a reality. Without you, it would not have become such a great time.

Signing off,

- The Revive Network Team

+Quote Post
Sgt_Prof
post Oct 28 2017, 03:31 PM
Post #12

CryEngine 3 environment designer, novel writer,dude who love art

Member No.: 8,214

Their servers are still operational. EA complained about giving away free games and according to situation there was clear request to shut down the servers. However even if revive would be stopped, someone else would still create another alternative like dethklok clan who has their own Master server.

--------------------
It's hard to beat a person who never gives up

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Oct 28 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #13

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

It is really about giving away their software, even though it is basically abandoned. Who knows, maybe there are in talks with another company that deals with old games? If Revive is offering it for free, then there is no incentive for another company to try to license it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Oct 28 2017, 11:11 PM
Post #14

You know the drill...
Group Icon

QUOTE (Prof)
according to situation there was clear request to shut down the servers.

Their Download servers, maybe. Don't see anywhere in the official statement to quit hosting played games anywhere.

I can't help but wonder how this might affect PR and FH2, since they went the same route with stand-alone clients offered.

/checks PR forums...

EDIT:

Correction. Removed false info.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Oct 29 2017, 06:36 AM
Post #15

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Revive's statement:

==========================

Hello everyone,

We will get right to the point: Electronic Arts Inc.' legal team has contacted us and nicely asked us to stop distributing and using their intellectual property. As diehard fans of the franchise, we will respect these stipulations.

Over the past 3 and a half years, Revive Network has filled a void in nearly 1 million players' hearts by bringing favorite titles back to life after online services were closed after the GameSpy shutdown. Only a few months ago, we took on the task of bringing multiplayer services online for a fan-favorite, Battlefield Heroes. The public reception for our efforts on this title were massive, and we never expected it to become as big as it was.

At this time, file downloads will be disabled.

This is probably the part where we have to say good bye. Before we leave the battlefield, we would like to thank all of the developers, artists, moderators, and last but not least every single player that helped make all of this a reality. Without you, it would not have become such a great time.

Signing off,
- The Revive Network Team

==========================

And the forums are down as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th November 2017 - 05:40 AM