IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Could need some help with cockpit texture edits, The cockpit of the UH-1Y Venom needs some edits
bluehawk112
post Oct 4 2017, 10:26 AM
Post #1

Dishonorable Discharge

Group: Guests
Member No.: 10,005

Hi guys,
I really could need some help again tongue.gif ,
this time I want to get very few (2) things changed in the cockpit of a Venom, who can help?

Basically, the picture tells it all what has to be be done: check attachment pic

- the weired stuff in the middle console has to be removed, instead the 2 little screens in the middle console can have the same colour like the big screens on the right (coloured in black)

- the screen contents of the left two big consoles have to be mirrored to the right two big consoles

Thatīs it! Who can help? (Unfortunately, Iīm having some trouble with the Gimp/dds plug-in, itīs 32 bit only and my os is 64bit...- and Iīm totally inexperienced with any kind of texture work anyways sleep.gif )

Hereīs the DL:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dc6ygx5esc4m8c9/Venom.zip

thanks mates

This post has been edited by bluehawk112: Oct 4 2017, 10:33 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  VenomCockpit.jpg ( 199.85K ) Number of downloads: 17

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
MasterChiefRulZ
post Oct 4 2017, 11:28 AM
Post #2

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 48

Iīm having some trouble with the Gimp/dds plug-in, itīs 32 bit only and my os is 64bit

Gimp comes in 32 AND 64 bit. doh.gif

There's absolutely no reason why you should be able to do this yourself. Just update your free software and check out a few tutorials. No real skill required, just time and patience. No real hurdles like huge financial cost via expensive software or something that requires extensive amount of knowledge to accomplish so you should just try it. I could understand a request if this required hard to acquire software like 3dsmax or something that requires alot of skill, but this is none of that.

Tell you what, start the process and post here and I'll walk you through it. It's super easy and people won't look at you like you're trying to bum off them. I'll get you started...

1) Update gimp

2) Open gimp

3) Open .dds file that contains cockpit

**Addition**

3b) right click main surface

3c) click on 'add layer mask'

3d) Transfer layers alpha channel

3e) Right click on grey/black alpha channel

3f) Delete layer mask

***end new addtions

4) Create new layer

5) create a selection box that fits over what you want to copy on the main layer

6) Hit 'copy'

7) Go to new layer you created

8) Hit 'paste'

9) Drag newly pasted item to where you want it to be

10) 'anchor' the pasted part

Post back what you've accomplished so far..

This post has been edited by MasterChiefRulZ: Oct 6 2017, 11:24 AM
Reason for edit: added additional steps

--------------------

+Quote Post
bluehawk112
post Oct 4 2017, 03:21 PM
Post #3

Dishonorable Discharge

Okay, I have to reinstall Gimp then, hopefully it doesnīt choose 64 bit automatically, I canīt remember if I was asked during install...
Thank you for your instruction, MCR, looks pretty decent to me - the way you described it, it should be easy to make it by my own laugh.gif
Just a question:
Can I also load 2 cockpit textures simultaneously and copy/pace stuff from one cockpit to another?I would like to copy the displays on this cockpit here:
http://www.moddb.com/members/demon-from-pr...venom3#imagebox
... and paste them over to the cockpit , the one which I showed in the attachment..

+Quote Post
bluehawk112
post Oct 5 2017, 07:36 AM
Post #4

Dishonorable Discharge

QUOTE (bluehawk112 @ Oct 4 2017, 11:21 PM) *
Okay, I have to reinstall Gimp then, hopefully it doesnīt choose 64 bit automatically, I canīt remember if I was asked during install...
Thank you for your instruction, MCR, looks pretty decent to me - the way you described it, it should be easy to make it by my own laugh.gif
Just a question:
Can I also load 2 cockpit textures simultaneously and copy/pace stuff from one cockpit to another?I would like to copy the displays on this cockpit here:
... and paste them over to the cockpit , the one which I showed in the attachment..

As I thought, Gimp automatically installed its 64bit version without asking. So I had to search for an elder version (32bit) and I installed version 2.6.12.
The add on seems to work but:
I really canīt find what I expected to see.
First of all, I searched for the texture set that I want to edit. I found the one here: see picture in attachment. There are clean displays without the weired stuff (smiley etc) that I wanted to remove. So I continued searching for the textures with the smiley etc., but I couldnīt find it.
Okay, now I took a look at the textures of the other Venom here which I wanted to use for producing a new overlay:
Gimp showed me only textures with grey colours, I couldnīt find any textures or any usable stuff at all.
I uploaded the textures of this Venom here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dtpiwb6lrje3...betterVenom.zip

Iīm stuck. Who can help?

This post has been edited by bluehawk112: Oct 5 2017, 07:38 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Screens_clean.jpg ( 279.53K ) Number of downloads: 8

+Quote Post
bluehawk112
post Oct 5 2017, 08:23 AM
Post #5

Dishonorable Discharge

QUOTE (bluehawk112 @ Oct 5 2017, 03:36 PM) *
I really canīt find what I expected to see.
First of all, I searched for the texture set that I want to edit. There are clean displays without the weired stuff (smiley etc) that I wanted to remove. So I continued searching for the textures with the smiley etc., but I couldnīt find it.

Iīm stuck. Who can help?

I donīt want to make the whole story complicated.
I found some nice displays for the Venom.
I uploaded them here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4seaowenakjh...ew_Displays.zip
Furthermore, as described in post no.1, I uploaded the helicopter in which I would like to have these displays "installed".
DL:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dc6ygx5esc4m8c9/Venom.zip

The cockpit texture seems to be the "UH1Y_Copkit_c.dds" in the texture folder of the helicopter.
Perhaps I can overlay these new displays with some help on this "UH1Y_Copkit_c.dds", using GIMP.
But one problem still remains: Where is this damn smiley and this bag of pretzel sticks or whatever it is?(see attachment post no.1)

Any help?
thanks guys

This post has been edited by bluehawk112: Oct 5 2017, 08:25 AM

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Oct 5 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #6

You know the drill...
Group Icon

my os is 64bit.

Gimp automatically installed its 64bit version without asking

32bit or 64 bit shouldn't matter, both versions will work with .dds textures.

Googling "gimp .dds 64 bit" and in 5 minutes I had this... resources

Don't be afraid to research, take the bull by the horns and go after what you want.

In Post#4 you are looking at the "Alpha Channel" which serves as the 'specular map.' Once you have a backup copy of this texture put away elsewhere, click on that main layer and transfer the layer's alpha channel like I taught you before right here.

The DIFFERENCE is that HERE after we transfer the Alpha channel over, you're going to DELETE the Alpha channel. Don't worry about needing it or making mistakes because you already have a backup put away elsewhere, right? The DELETE option for the layer mask should be in the same section as "show layer mask."

Once the layer mask is removed, you can see the regular texture (also called 'diffuse') and begin copy/pasting away. smile.gif

Where is this smiley and this bag of pretzel sticks or whatever it is?(see attachment post no.1)

If it's not on the texture of the cockpit, then it's probably on an external source that you'll have to remove.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, take it one step at a time. Show me you can remove the Alpha channel and we'll go from there.

Think about it, once you get this down, you can have whatever cockpit design you want. My purpose is to empower you so you can take charge and build what you want. I'm teaching you to fish.. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bluehawk112
post Oct 5 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #7

Dishonorable Discharge

3) Open .dds file that contains cockpit

4) Create new layer

5) create a box that fits over what you want to copy on the main layer

6) Hit 'copy'

7) Go to new layer you created

8) Hit 'paste'

9) Drag newly pasted item to where you want it to be

10) 'anchor' the pasted part

Post back what you've accomplished so far..
[/quote]

Most probably something went wrong...
I donīt know what you meant with "Create new layer", I just opened the files with the displays (only) and copied/pasted the displays
into the cockpit. Then I tried to safe it, which didnīt work...(basically I did the same as I would have done with "paint" app..)
My Gimp version doesnīt have this extra layer tool box, it has just the main box and one extra tool box (2 boxes instead of three boxes that you showed in your instruction pics). In the end, I safed it as .xcf Gimp image on my desktop. Can I use this .xcf Gimp image somehow to create my desired dds file?

edit: I somehow managed to safe as dds file (played around with anchor layer and merge layer etc. stuff). Then I implemented it into the texture folder of the helicopter by replacing the old file. Result: nothing changed...Perhaps you should try first all your steps on your own with the textures that I uploaded here and check if your stuff is really working. I donīt think that your tutorial will lead to success because there seems to be something missing. I never could see the "old display contents" that were presented on the cockpit displays (including the smiley etc.). This seems to be the (unknown) layer which has to be edited. Editing the displays themselves doesnīt seem to work...

This post has been edited by bluehawk112: Oct 5 2017, 06:53 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  errorGimp2.png ( 669.99K ) Number of downloads: 5
Attached File  ErrorGimp1.jpg ( 324.94K ) Number of downloads: 6

+Quote Post
Death_EnForcer
post Oct 5 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #8

Dictator
Group Icon

Group: BFSP Team
Member No.: 294

QUOTE (MasterChiefRulZ @ Oct 5 2017, 10:08 AM) *
Think about it, once you get this down, you can have whatever cockpit design you want. My purpose is to empower you so you can take charge and build what you want. I'm teaching you to fish.. wink.gif

Nice tutorials MCR. I made it into PDF if anyone wants it. Link follows.
MCR-Gimp Tutorial PDF download

+Quote Post
bluehawk112
post Oct 6 2017, 03:17 AM
Post #9

Dishonorable Discharge

Okay now, since all the stuff didnīt work for me, is there any modeller who can help?
Please, donīt give any further advice how to make it unless you can show a screenshot of the final result, i.e. the cockpit of the UH-1Y that I uploaded with new displays ingame...
All relevant uploads are to be found in post no.5

thanks guys

This post has been edited by bluehawk112: Oct 6 2017, 03:21 AM

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Oct 6 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #10

You know the drill...
Group Icon

QUOTE (bluehawk)
Okay now, since all the stuff didnīt work for me, is there any modeller who can help?

You don't need a modeler. This is a texture issue.

YOU CAN do it, you just need to have the patience, determination, and will to see it through. These traits are not only necessary for modding, but for success in real life as well.

Keep your questions simple and precise, whatever you don't understand just post it.

I donīt know what you meant with "Create new layer"

This is good, I can work with this. Don't write long paragraphs running around in circles and saying "I give up, now somebody do it for me." You can do this, and you need to know how to do this, because this is already the second time you're needing it. Keep your questions small and simple.

I thought from my previous tutorial I gave you on your last texturing question you understood Alpha channels, I see now I was wrong.

I've updated my instructions in post #2 accordingly. Please try again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bluehawk112
post Oct 6 2017, 12:55 PM
Post #11

Dishonorable Discharge

QUOTE (MasterChiefRulZ @ Oct 6 2017, 07:29 PM) *
QUOTE (bluehawk)

You don't need a modeler. This is a texture issue.

YOU CAN do it, you just need to have the patience, determination, and will to see it through. These traits are not only necessary for modding, but for success in real life as well.

Keep your questions simple and precise, whatever you don't understand just post it.

I donīt know what you meant with "Create new layer"

This is good, I can work with this. Don't write long paragraphs running around in circles and saying "I give up, now somebody do it for me." You can do this, and you need to know how to do this, because this is already the second time you're needing it. Keep your questions small and simple.

I thought from my previous tutorial I gave you on your last texturing question you understood Alpha channels, I see now I was wrong.

I've updated my instructions in post #2 accordingly. Please try again.

Man, are you completely gone insane now? Didnīt I make myself clear enough? Whatīs so hard to understand, reading "donīt give any further advice how to make it unless you can show a screenshot of the final result, i.e. the cockpit of the UH-1Y that I uploaded with new displays ingame"?! Keep your pathetic advice for yourself! I donīt believe it - you wanna teach me some lessons for life, clown?
Who do you think youīre talking to?
I tell you what: Never talk to me like this again. I donīt give a damn about your hilarious and desperate tries to engross every conversation but you really start pis_..g me off with your helpless efforts to abuse your little advantage of meaningless knowledge to "teach other people lessons for life" !
By the way: this is my thread. You hijacked it. You decided to make it a platform for your personal bollocks. In my last post I definitely made it clear: I donīt want further advice unless you show me some screenshots of the final result. You didnīt show any screenshot - instead you started again with your unwanted advice.
Now, stop spamming this thread and donīt you ever try again to treat me like an idiot. I donīt want your help again, understood?

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Oct 6 2017, 01:28 PM
Post #12

You know the drill...
Group Icon

And so your real nature shows... I tried to help you, and you throw it in my face because I didn't just 'do the job for you.'

And I even said "please" huh.gif

Your constant barrage of excuses not to do it (poor excuses, I might add), but instead demand.. yes demand others do the work for you show a problem far deeper than I can reason with. uhm.gif You said Clive was doing too much and that 'others needed to help' so here I am, trying to help. Not the 'help' you were looking for though, was it?

I've overlooked your poor attitude, disrespect to others, and self-entitled demeanor for some time now. The above post is a clear violation of rules, so I'm going to have to do a ban on your posting ability. You've been warned multiple times about your behavior.

QUOTE (Forum Rules)
1- Flaming and general hostility in the forums will not be tolerated. You will be warned, and if warnings ignored you will be banned.

2- Watch your language. Restrict yourself to not using vulgarity in thread titles or excessive usages of vulgarity. ANY type of vulgar word directed to someone will be considered HOSTILITY and will earn you a warning or ban. Its a simple fact that using vulgarity in forums is commonly misinterpreted and leads to flame wars, lets try to avoid that.

3- Disrespectful bad attitudes toward Admin/Staff and or Forum rules will get you banned. The purpose of the Staff/Forum Rules is to keep a respectable/healthy/fun atmosphere for everyone at BFSP, troublemakers who stir up problems are not welcome here.

That's three strikes bluehawk... you're out.

Forum Rules

Thread closed due to the poster being beyond helping.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 05:10 PM