IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Battlefield 1943 mod looking for map makers to join our team!
Anthony817
post Sep 3 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #1

Battlefield: Korea mod leader

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 11,469

Hey guys, as many of you know by now the awesome Xbox Live Arcade/Playstation Network exclusive game Battlefield 1943 was unfortunately canceled for PC. Well, I have started a small mod team looking to 1.1 recreate that game in Battlefield 2 as best as humanly possible.

Official mod page: http://www.moddb.com/mods/battlefield-1943

Now here is where we need help. I am not a map creator, and I am looking for somebody to help us 1.1 recreate the ACTUAL BF1943 maps in BF2.

How would we achieve this? Well, I am glad you asked. It has recently come to pass that I have come into possession of the actual 1943 heightmaps for 3 of the maps. Those maps are Coral Sea, Guadal Canal, and Iwo Jima. Wake island will just have to be the original BF2 vanilla map.

You can download the heightmaps here: https://mega.nz/#!vZ8zTLgS!_Fl8rNgT...BV0Oxp4wzYei3a4

Now I want to call upon you, the many talented map makers of this great site here, to please come to our aid.

We don't currently have all of the 1943 statics, but what we DO have are ported BF1942 statics which you can get here from this thread. Dnamro is even going through and AI Meshing the buildings for us 1 by 1!

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...st&p=201648

If anybody here could help with anything and everything from porting the BF1943 weapons and vehicles to recreating the maps, please contact Anthony817 at moddb or on here.

http://www.moddb.com/members/anthony817

Thanks, and have a wonderful day!

EDIT: Crap, major typo in the title haha. Could any of you nice moderators please correct it for me? Thanks.

This post has been edited by Anthony817: Sep 3 2017, 02:52 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Dnamro
post Sep 3 2017, 05:59 PM
Post #2

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 46

title typo fixed biggrin.gif

I thought most of the BF42 Pacific maps were already ported to BF2. So it should be a matter of replacing the BF2 buildings with the BF42 ported versions?

I would really like to see a full blown BF42 port to BF2, with all the WWII weapons, uniforms and vehicles.

--------------------
No, my Avatar is not my dog.

+Quote Post
Anthony817
post Sep 3 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Dnamro @ Sep 3 2017, 06:59 PM) *
I would really like to see a full blown BF42 port to BF2, with all the WWII weapons, uniforms and vehicles.

Thanks!

SHHHH! I don't want you to give away my next project! XD

But yes, in the mod right now we are using all of Imtheheadhunters pacific maps, but having those original BF43 height maps can help out a lot too. We will use his maps if we are forced to, as we do now, but it would be nice to get it as close as physically possible to 1943. FH2 CMP Pacific minimod has also been nice enough to donate some stuff to us too.

My next plan was to, after this side project is done, and then I rebuild BFKorea from the ground up and make it stable was to make Battlefield 1944. That would be as close as I can make it to BF42 in the new engine. Might not use the same models and all from 42 as far as vehicles and weapons or player models go, but the stuff we have from BFKorea would help out a lot with it. Many of the 42 maps were already recreated in BF2 thankfully.

I was going to make this theoretical 1944 mod later though, under the BSS umbrella so we can use some of the nice stuff that was donated to us from the BGF and EOD mods, but it is going to be bigger in scope to this 1943 side project I am working on now.

It would also be arcade oriented as is this 1943 recreation unlike BFKorea, which is more realistic along the same lines as FH2.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mapbear
post Sep 5 2017, 10:57 AM
Post #4

Captain

Member No.: 11,762

That sounds like a super project, but i do wonder why you would like to recreate the maps exactly.
The reason for this, is that several of the maps, are actually flawed in gameplay!
These flaws comes in two 'flavors'
1) human-player issues
2) Specific Bot-issues
(1) are predominately inclines. There are too many brilliant gameplay options lost, because of terrain mistakes.
For instance in 'Invasion of the phillipines' Most of the cliffs are sculptured a few % steeper than the maximum.
I consider this a flaw, because it limits the gameplay, and it is also an unrealistic limitation.
There ought to be paths into the cliffs, where it would be possible to make alternative routes to strategic positions. That would create a lot of new and significant better gameplay.
(2) One of the absolutely worst flaws are flag position-base. Almost every map has the flags on just a flagpole sticking out of the ground. Those are not recognized at all as obstacles by the bots. The result is that they drive just about everything into the flagpole, and are stuck there indefinitely.
For singleplayer maps, all flag positions must be on collections of big rocks or crates or other clearly defined obstacles, other wise the bots are stuck, and gameplay are ruined. This is one of the worst problems in maps in general!
But several others are present too:
Non-strategic fixed structures.
Again i will point at 'Invasion of the phillipines' The map has several bunkers that apparently has been added for visual reasons only. A few are even placed at cliffs too steep to negotiate. Fixed structures should be in a map for a reason!
They are very interesting in respect to gameplay, because they could be as important as flags, if they are placed correctly. Imo they are not, and they do not offer a 'reward'
Bunkers should ofcause have mounted some kind of fixed weapon, Empty bunkers are weird and imo a design mistake.
Bunkers could even have fixed supplies of ammo ao medicpacks. Iow Make a gameplay reason for the structure, and a gameplay reason for the players to fight for the structure!
Useless structures are simply ..useless
So theres my thoughts on the design flaws in several maps. I really think it would be a mistake to replicate them once more.
To summarize
Gameplay first, then Gameplay, and finally GAMEPLAY! smile.gif

--------------------
Best Regards!

+Quote Post
Anthony817
post Sep 5 2017, 05:06 PM
Post #5

Philippines map isn't even in Battlefield 1943...

The maps are Guadalcanal, Iwo-Jima, Wake Island with the Air Superiority map Coral Sea.

And the thing about the flags, they could be made with some concessions. I mean, it would be as close as possible without sacrificing good singleplayer gameplay.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mapbear
post Sep 6 2017, 11:50 AM
Post #6

Captain

Member No.: 11,762

QUOTE (Anthony817 @ Sep 5 2017, 06:06 PM) *
Philippines map isn't even in Battlefield 1943...

I only have bf2/p4f, and some maps, but its not really important.
'Wake Island' has similar issues. Several structures, that are not part of the Gameplay. They are not attractive targets, for anyone, so they are in fact beatification-elements, nothing directly wrong with that, except bunkers should be Gameplay-objects. Places to win a advantage.
Also the 'naked' flagpole issue exists in 'Wake' Very often tanks are being caught on those.
(The problem also exists in other amps, with other tiny obstacles. The object 'gate-pole' catches almost every vehicle in the map 'Tamba'. Someone with expert insight in the nav-mesh method, may be able to advice a different and better nav-mesh resolution, but that will indefinitely lead to bulkier maps, maybe even hampered action.
One more thing.
I believe the 'roads-objects' leads to much better bot driving. Eg, with an ordinary nav-mesh, the bots recalculate routes constantly. On roads-objects, it looks like bots uses the endpoints of each element, as a waypoint, and that leads to smoother driving, and much more humanized driving. For that reason the road-elements should be used on real roads, not just nav-meshes.
Can anyone cast more light into that?

Those are the reasons for giving the maps a brushover in respect to Gameplay.

--------------------
Best Regards!

+Quote Post
Fastj@ck
post Sep 21 2017, 02:08 PM
Post #7

Major

Member No.: 5,523

I believe the 'roads-objects' leads to much better bot driving. Eg, with an ordinary nav-mesh, the bots recalculate routes constantly. On roads-objects, it looks like bots uses the endpoints of each element, as a waypoint, and that leads to smoother driving, and much more humanized driving. For that reason the road-elements should be used on real roads, not just nav-meshes.
Can anyone cast more light into that?

I think so, when i understand the vehiclke Bahviour setup right from this forum.
Bots preferring the lowest materialcosts for movement. The -1 means never use it sofar i remember.

CODE
rem *** Car Behaviour setup ***

aiSettings.setVehicleMaterialCost     Car Ground 1
aiSettings.setVehicleMaterialCost     Car Road 0.5
aiSettings.setVehicleMaterialCost     Car Shallows 1.8
aiSettings.setVehicleMaterialCost     Car DeepWater -1

This post has been edited by Fastj@ck: Sep 21 2017, 02:10 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 02:20 PM