Soldier Exports Working 100%
TheObscure
post Aug 24 2017, 12:50 PM
Post #1

Major

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 10,010

Hi guys,

As mentioned in the topic linked here ( Export Issue ), I encountered some problems with swapping the face models around between the soldier models, but luckily that is no longer a problem. I have successfully exported the soldiers and I am already busy doing a bunch of variations. I already have the SAS and SEAL faces on the US body. Then, as you guys saw on one of my older topics, I have some nice new 1p meshes set up. ( HD 1p meshes )

SAS Heavy head on US heavy body:

SEAL light soldier head on US light soldier body:

And then some more random screenshots of these ingame:

Now all of these really improves what I call, the "1p gameplay". This is something that is really lacking in this old game. So my mod's goal is first of all to improve this. I actually find it interesting that DICE messed up so bad with the soldier variations, since they already had a ton of variations set up during the game's development process. Look on the bottom images to see what I mean. I plan to have the rolled-up sleeve variations included in my mod, however I don't have the skill to do that. Can someone with modelling and UV mapping please help me with this? I can already export correctly now, and I already have the arm models taken from the now-dead game - BFP4F. I just need someone that can attach the 3p and 1p arms onto the geometries of the vanilla soldiers, and then let the awesomeness happen! Well, it will take some more doing than that, since there will be some UV mapping involved, along with some trail and error.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Anthony817
post Aug 24 2017, 05:41 PM
Post #2

Battlefield: Korea mod leader

Member No.: 11,469

WOW nice work man! I had asked Wei Wang to help me with some Chinese People's Volunteer Army characters, where he replaced the FH2 1P arms it had with the EOD 1p arms.

The reason for this was that the Chinese player models of ours came from the FH2 Community Map Pack which were originally the Japanese, and we were told we could use them for Chinese, but we had to replace the original FH2 arms with EOD, since we fully have permission to use anything we need from EOD mod.

Unfortunately he didn't finish the export for us, and the 1p arms looked great, but the 3p animations were all T pose. I don't quite know what the issue was with it, but I wish we could have it fixed as it would be great.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/by9ixvrk6qaxt4z/PVA.7z

You can take a look at it here, not sure if you might be able to learn something that might help you figure out how to give your own 1p arms to your soldiers? I guess it is worth looking at?

Here is actually a video tutorial where he showed me how he did it and he included the export scene as well. I am still not sure what I am looking at here, but the max files of the PVA above are included with this video. Perhaps this will help you out?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8te1ahp97f6lyyc/PVA.rar

--------------------

+Quote Post
clivewil
post Aug 25 2017, 12:22 AM
Post #3

meh.
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 3,545

this forum needs a 'Like' button.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Aug 25 2017, 07:50 AM
Post #4

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 48

QUOTE ( Anthony817 )
but the 3p animations were all T pose.

I had that happen to me once or twice, but it had nothing to do with exports or models. I had an error in my code for the animations. 3rd person player models will go in a "T" pose when there are no third person animations present (or there is a typo) in the weapon's TWEAK file.

@ Topic

The new faces look great! No more clone army for the USMC it would appear, at least not in TheObscure's mod. smile.gif As far as lack of using the variety seen in the alpha BF2 screenies, I seem to remember those shots are what Frank Delise and his team (Trauma studios/aka Desert Combat mod team) came up with for early versions of BF2, and DICE scrapped alot of that stuff for their own content. Probably something to do with copyright issues and licensing costs.

Who's Frank Delise?

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheObscure
post Aug 25 2017, 10:04 AM
Post #5

Major

@ Anthony817

Thanks man!

Interesting information that you mentioned. I will inspect them and see if I can get them running ingame. With my modelling skills, I might hit a wall pretty soon into it, but I will at least try. I will communicate further with you on Moddb.

@ clivewil

Kind words mate. It is always nice to hear good things from the community, and especially a veteran like yourself!

@ MasterChiefRulZ

Interesting, that would certainly explain what happened to the development cycle of this game. The game really changed a lot and they scrapped so many good things. I mean, those MEC insurgent-looking guys really look badass.

So my plan with these heads is simple. I will have 6 soldier variants set up for each faction. 3 Heavy soldiers and 3 light soldiers. You might ask me: "Why not 7 in total, as there are 7 classes?". Well, the sniper class' face is already hard to see, so I don't see the point that much. As for the others, it will be easy for the factions that have Caucasian people, as most factions consist of them. When it comes to the PLA and MEC I will have some difficulties, but I will make plans.

Lastly, sorry to repeat myself, but is there any interest out there to help me with making rolled-up sleeve variants for the soldiers? I lack the UV mapping and modelling expertise and I have no time to learn them, as I am already learning animating in the background and doing most of the mod's work. This will be a breeze for experienced modellers, and the amount of work is not that much as I already have the models that will be worked with. Please let me know. At the moment it is just me and Develop013 that are hard at work at this ambitious project that has been in development for years, and will take at least another year. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Anthony817
post Aug 25 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #6

@Obscure Awesome thanks!

I only hope that informative video will be of use for you, as I am not even at the skill level to attempt to do something as complex as character model rigging.

And thanks for the suggestion Chief, but it happened with all kits, and it worked fine with the unedited original character models. Also, it had a strange transparency type thing, like the models were being lighted from inside. Like the light wasn't looking correct. I have only seen this bug before on some other things.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheObscure
post Aug 26 2017, 02:48 PM
Post #7

Major

QUOTE (Anthony817 @ Aug 26 2017, 01:07 AM) *
@Obscure Awesome thanks!

I only hope that informative video will be of use for you, as I am not even at the skill level to attempt to do something as complex as character model rigging.

And thanks for the suggestion Chief, but it happened with all kits, and it worked fine with the unedited original character models. Also, it had a strange transparency type thing, like the models were being lighted from inside. Like the light wasn't looking correct. I have only seen this bug before on some other things.

Yes, well I am surprised myself that I could spend so much time on one skill. I was motivated, because what is the point in making an HD mod when the 1p meshes are so bad? I mean, you look at them every time you spawn and walk around. That accounts for 80% time of gameplay roughly speaking, that is if you aren't a vehicle camper, and to add on that, it fills the screen up. So no matter how HD the effects and HUD are, if this is bad, then everything becomes saturated.

I still have to start looking at the stuff you gave me. At the moment I am a bit too busy with real life. Will contact you when I have started.

+Quote Post
Anthony817
post Aug 26 2017, 03:07 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (TheObscure @ Aug 26 2017, 03:48 PM) *
Yes, well I am surprised myself that I could spend so much time on one skill. I was motivated, because what is the point in making an HD mod when the 1p meshes are so bad? I mean, you look at them every time you spawn and walk around. That accounts for 80% time of gameplay roughly speaking, that is if you aren't a vehicle camper, and to add on that, it fills the screen up. So no matter how HD the effects and HUD are, if this is bad, then everything becomes saturated.

I still have to start looking at the stuff you gave me. At the moment I am a bit too busy with real life. Will contact you when I have started.

No worries mate. That is a huge thing to do so I am really thankful you are going to try and help us out with that in addition to all the weapons you were having animated for us for BFK. Take your time with it.

And yeah, I think the things BF2 is lacking as far as the community goes, is custom player model exporters. Rigging bone animations are quite a lot of work. I think it might be more complicated than animating tank tracks, although I don't know myself, going on how difficult it seems. Most of the addons over at Moddb and Game Banana seem to be mostly new weapons, and vehicles or maps. So it is a skill not everybody has for sure.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 02:21 PM