Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Objects Servers VS Objects Client
Ants
post Jul 28 2017, 03:30 PM
Post #1

Enlisted

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 10,412

Hey all. I was wondering, whats the difference of the two? I have been modding for few years, and I always have just made one folder for weapon and dropped it into Server's ZIP. Or is it better to put textures,sounds and model meshes into Client's ZIP? However they all have been working well. But everytime I see somesort of weapon pack composed by somebody. They tend to put textures and such in Clients ZIP and anims, tweaks and anymationsystems into Server's ZIP. Might seem like a dumb question for some of You, but hey, where else could You ask something like this than here.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
clivewil
post Jul 28 2017, 11:13 PM
Post #2

meh.
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 3,545

client stuff is large file-sized things that live on your own HDD (the client) such as main meshes, textures and sounds etc.

server stuff is the smaller file-sized stuff such as any scripts, collision meshes etc. - anything that could be modified to cheat in the game, and is small enough to be efficiently sent from the server before playing

e.g. if the online game server also contained sounds and textures etc. you'd be waiting an hour every time for them to download, and a hacked sound or texture isn't going to gain a player any advantage. a hacked collision mesh or tweak though is another matter entirely, so these small files are sent out before play to make sure everyone's using exactly the same legit files. because they are small they are downloaded very quickly

if you only ever play by yourself - never LAN, never online - you can just chuck all your added/modified stuff into server and not bother about splitting it into client/server because everything is local on your own pc anyway.

ultimately you'd have a separate mini-mod archive for this purpose, so you wouldn't need to mess with the original archives (it's easier to search through, much quicker to zip/unzip, no risk of damage to the original zips)

---> also, if you're running purely offline and don't mind chewing up some HDD space, your maps can be completely unzipped and their client/server stuff merged together - e.g. all of the Overgrowth stuff from client and server zips just goes into a single folder called Overgrowth. - it's much nicer this way, if like many of us, you are constantly tweaking your maps. you can make edits directly without having to zip up the server.zip after each change.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ants
post Jul 29 2017, 04:50 AM
Post #3

Enlisted

Member No.: 10,412

Hey, thanks for clearing this up. This is my own personal mod which I play with bots, and Im constantly modding weapons/vehicles, therefore its in one zip, so I can access them any time. Also to load some stuff up into Client's ZIP, it takes longer in time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mschoeldgen
post Jul 30 2017, 08:02 AM
Post #4

Major

Member No.: 410

That really depends. Back then i modified some batch scripts from rexman, building server and client files from my folders automatically. Those batch Scripts require an unregistered WinRAR and can be found here:
http://www.schoeldgen.de/bf1942/BF2_pack_batches.zip

Readme included. Packs your files with a doubleclick.

--------------------
http://www.xww2.com Reviving the past on todays game engine

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 03:35 AM