Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Failed to connect to LAN coop server
csk1997
post Jul 20 2017, 12:36 AM
Post #1

Enlisted

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 11,918

Two computer connected to the same router. Both using online account from the revive launcher. When one host a LAN server, the other one simply can't find the server on the list. Entering the ID always results in "You have failed to connect. Please check your network connection(s) and try again." no matter how many times I tried.
Tried with offline account. Still can't see the server. The "Connect to IP" button doesn't ever work.
Any solution for that?

This post has been edited by csk1997: Jul 20 2017, 12:36 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
M.Combat
post Jul 20 2017, 04:12 AM
Post #2

Mediocre animator and modder

Member No.: 2,251

Might be a dumb question, but when looking for the server under the multiplayer section, are you leaving it set to look for internet games, or have to been setting it to LAN?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Jul 20 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #3

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 48

There's also a in-depth discussion about this already over here...

Google is your friend

--------------------

+Quote Post
oldrick
post Sep 11 2017, 08:14 AM
Post #4

Captain

Member No.: 10,819

Sorry this is late. I haven't been keeping up with the site.

When you create a LAN game it won't be listed on the Battlelog.co server list. It's not an internet game.

Once the server is running use [Multiplayer] [Join Local]. The sever will be in that list.

BUT! (there's always but.) Both computers have to have their firewall settings adjusted for the ports required by Battlefield 2. For a better idea Google "BF2 firewall settings" or "BF2 port settings". The server will have to have more changes than the client(s).

I am using the old retail (CD box set) version of the game but I expect the "Revive" version to work the same. I discovered that for LAN games, the server program will often pick ports that are not part of the ones used for internet games. (This is great for running multiple server games on the same LAN, like at really big LAN parties, but it's PITA for anything else.) The list of ports given for BF2 gaming is only for internet games.

When this happens, trying to find the ports used by a LAN server in order to set the firewall are just too much trouble. For a LAN game I disconnect the router from the modem, so the computers are not connected to the internet. Then I turn off the firewalls, start BF2 on the computers, start a LAN game and play. After the gaming session is done, I turn the Firewalls Back ON, then confirm the firewalls are on. Only after I am sure the firewalls are working I plug the router back into the modem.
> If the modem is the router this is impossible. In a case like that I would buy a cheap 10/100 switch and a few network cables. To play a game, disconnect the computers from the router and connect to the switch. Only after the computers are not connected to the internet turn off the fire walls. Play the LAN game. When finished gaming turn on the firewalls. After the firewalls are working reconnect to the router.

EDIT
"the server program will often pick ports that are not part of the ones used for internet games" This could be wrong. However, with the free firewall I use I can't get a LAN game to go through the firewall. To get a LAN game running I have to turn the firewall off. And, I always disconnect from the "internet" before I turn the firewall off. And turn it back on before I reconnect to the internet.
(I got tired of going down to the Router to pull the cable to the modem. So, now, I have added a cheap switch between the computers running the LAN game and the Router. To disconnect the the internet I just pull out the cable running from the switch to the Router.)

This post has been edited by oldrick: Sep 17 2017, 08:37 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 03:35 AM