Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Lightmap troubles, and navmesh/bots questions
GreenEggs&Slam
post Jun 17 2017, 08:37 AM
Post #1

Private

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 9,122

Apart from render times being really slow, i'm having issues with the custom containers lightmaps they turn out completely black, well just the green ones atleast. because the red tunnels seem to be unscathed.

And in the circle is a red container that's had its lightmaps blacked out, is this apart of the checking for obsolete lightmaps stage? (which i clicked yes on)
Please note that this is only half lightmapped, one render was cancelled at about object 270/1272 (8 hours), and then resuming seemed to work until around object 560ish (last number i saw, rendered for 24 hoursish before crashing). and it is the final lightmaps too since medium settings look horrid

and regards to navmeshing, ive found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jQfxl3_1SU and it looks very handy, I might actually be able to handle everything mapside myself which helps alot, but i was wondering what I'd have to do afterwards if i want to edit a couple things? as you can see with his vehiclemesh there seemed to be a couple of roads that got missed out in the generation stages and that bugs me because it would be unused map space.

Also when placing down the waypoints, are they just pathways in which the bots will take when heading towards a flag? so if i have more, that means the bots will have more choice in what path they take to go to their desired flag?

Thankyou in advance smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
bobthedinosaur
post Jun 17 2017, 01:48 PM
Post #2

Dictator

Member No.: 7,896

so red works, and green doesn't? i swear i made those lightmap UV maps exactly the same

--------------------
Not doing modding right now, so please don't ask.

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Jun 18 2017, 11:09 AM
Post #3

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 48

Since this is directly mapping related moving to "Mapper's Delight." smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
clivewil
post Jun 19 2017, 01:31 AM
Post #4

meh.
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,545

QUOTE (GreenEggs&Slam @ Jun 17 2017, 10:37 PM) *
but i was wondering what I'd have to do afterwards if i want to edit a couple things?

the navmeshes are in .obj format which is a very common type, just make sure you keep the single-object and materials intact. also make sure rotation position and scale are correct

your very first editing operation will be to select the main 'island' element for each mesh, e.g. the largest chunk, and detach any other unconnected elements - after this you can study the detached elements and determine which are useless, and which are mistakes that should still be attached (e.g. sometimes the navgen will be too enthusiastic when cropping, or a slight mis-alignment with static's coll meshes can form a break in the mesh where there shouldn't be one) or which ones can be modified and re-connected (e.g. if you decide to add a static ramp etc. to make walkable a section that was previously not walkable)

--------------------

+Quote Post
GreenEggs&Slam
post Jun 24 2017, 07:50 AM
Post #5

Private

Member No.: 9,122

QUOTE (bobthedinosaur @ Jun 18 2017, 05:18 AM) *
so red works, and green doesn't? i swear i made those lightmap UV maps exactly the same

Only thing i could think of for a quick fix is duplicate the red containers via the shadderwrapper method, and retexturing the copied common texture it uses, will be a bit heavy on the filesize :/

QUOTE (clivewil @ Jun 19 2017, 05:01 PM) *
QUOTE (GreenEggs&Slam @ Jun 17 2017, 10:37 PM) *
but i was wondering what I'd have to do afterwards if i want to edit a couple things?

the navmeshes are in .obj format which is a very common type, just make sure you keep the single-object and materials intact. also make sure rotation position and scale are correct

your very first editing operation will be to select the main 'island' element for each mesh, e.g. the largest chunk, and detach any other unconnected elements - after this you can study the detached elements and determine which are useless, and which are mistakes that should still be attached (e.g. sometimes the navgen will be too enthusiastic when cropping, or a slight mis-alignment with static's coll meshes can form a break in the mesh where there shouldn't be one) or which ones can be modified and re-connected (e.g. if you decide to add a static ramp etc. to make walkable a section that was previously not walkable)

Thank you, I will have to see how this goes once I'm ready to navmesh my maps, otherwise I may have to call upon the community smile.gif

I still don't fully understand how waypoints work though, i would like bots to utilise as many pathways to each flag as possible, i've noticed with most maps (vanilla and custom) bots would choose the 2or3 best routes and not even attempt a wide flank

--------------------

+Quote Post
clivewil
post Jun 24 2017, 08:31 AM
Post #6

meh.
Group Icon

QUOTE (GreenEggs&Slam @ Jun 24 2017, 09:50 PM) *
I still don't fully understand how waypoints work though

waypoints will give bots a new destination to go to, but bear in mind that the bot will evaluate his plan upon reaching the waypoint - so if you're looking for a definite "go to waypoint X and then on to CP1" it often doesn't quite pan out that way - if upon reaching waypoint X the bot determines that CP2 is in fact a better idea than CP1, he will go to CP2 instead

also, regarding vehicles: when a vehicle hits a waypoint he will stop and evaluate, as described above. so if you're looking for smooth traffic flow, try not to put waypoints in the easily-congested areas

way back in the day, i experimented with water waypoints, i.e. a small poly in the middle of the sea that was set to the 'shallow water' material in the navmesh, and the waypoint was placed on that poly. because it was surrounded on all sides by water, only vehicles that could calculate the entire path would try using it, e.g. APCs and AIX's boats and ATVs

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fastj@ck
post Jun 24 2017, 01:01 PM
Post #7

Major

Member No.: 5,523

QUOTE (clivewil @ Jun 24 2017, 10:31 AM) *
way back in the day, i experimented with water waypoints, i.e. a small poly in the middle of the sea that was set to the 'shallow water' material in the navmesh, and the waypoint was placed on that poly. because it was surrounded on all sides by water, only vehicles that could calculate the entire path would try using it, e.g. APCs and AIX's boats and ATVs

And it worked?

+Quote Post
clivewil
post Jun 24 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #8

meh.
Group Icon

QUOTE (Fastj@ck @ Jun 25 2017, 03:01 AM) *
And it worked?

i think so, i'd have to find the maps i did it to and give them a play to confirm. but i vaguely recall seeing watercraft at those points on occasion

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 06:46 PM