Bf2 Mountains DogFighting
cataly63
post Feb 13 2017, 09:32 AM
Post #1

Captain

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 12,093

Hello,

for my first post, I propose you a small flight by plane, in mountains: the heightmap was made thanks to a DEM of a valley in the north of italy, and textured with a set of orthophotos; Four kilometers per side, and so many artifacts, as you can imagine; And no surrounding terrain: in fact, it was only a test map to see if the presence of high mountains had an interest in air flight;

It seems that "yes"! biggrin.gif

See for yourself ......

Battlefield 2 Mountains DogFighting

This post has been edited by cataly63: Mar 9 2017, 12:47 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
kano
post Feb 13 2017, 02:09 PM
Post #2

Major
Group Icon

Group: BFSP Team
Member No.: 1,704

QUOTE (cataly63 @ Feb 13 2017, 10:32 AM) *
Hello,

for my first post, I propose you a small flight by plane, in mountains: the heightmap was made thanks to a DEM of a valley in the north of italy, and textured with a set of orthophotos; Four kilometers per side, and so many artifacts, as you can imagine; And no surrounding terrain: in fact, it was only a test map to see if the presence of high mountains had an interest in air flight;

It seems that "yes"! biggrin.gif

See for yourself ......

Battlefield 2 Mountains DogFighting

looks good! fix the surrounding terrain and share it cataly63

--------------------

+Quote Post
cataly63
post Feb 15 2017, 05:49 AM
Post #3

Captain

QUOTE (kano @ Feb 13 2017, 09:09 PM) *
looks good! fix the surrounding terrain and share it cataly63

Hello Kano,

I am, precisely, doing this...

and then, for a suitable map, with surrounding terrain, this monday, I had start all over again; Because adding the surrounding terrain to the existing map was impossible ; re-cut a new heightmap, 12 km by side, from the data found on a Geoportail site (saga), then download and assemble the whole of the 3750 satellite orthophotos (SAS) that will serve as texture: what I have done these last two days: tonight I will try adjust the two, one on the other, with Photoshop; Which is always very delicate, since this is what determines the realism of the final map, or not:

anyway,the map seem to be really, really huge and I hope it will not pose too much memory problem

Many unknowns are in front of me, now; but, I am motivated

stay tuned

Cat

+Quote Post
Anthony817
post Mar 1 2017, 05:52 PM
Post #4

Battlefield: Korea mod leader

Member No.: 11,469

WOW! This is so awesome! I wish we could have you on our Korean War mod. Making some Korean mountains or actual battlefield areas from historical battles would be so awesome for our historical realism mod.

I have never seen a more realistic map in game before, only some of the FH2 and PR maps come close.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bobthedinosaur
post Mar 4 2017, 12:31 PM
Post #5

Dictator

Member No.: 7,896

I did a couple of DEM + aerial photo maps but they never turned out great. I guess if you limit the gameplay to air only and take out the ground combat it is not so bad. I had some that were done up in Alaska mountains and it just never looked right when being in soldier or ground vehicle point of view. Also you can probably avoid excessive tree placement if you just do without the ground aspect and treat it more as a arcade flight sim. The frustrating part for me has always been the scale of bf2 maps. I guess if you turn the shadows off and use this technique with interesting terrain DEM's you will be able to make a decent air map.

Looks cool, but maybe add more jets for the AI too?

This post has been edited by bobthedinosaur: Mar 4 2017, 12:31 PM

--------------------
Not doing modding right now, so please don't ask.

+Quote Post
cataly63
post Mar 5 2017, 12:06 PM
Post #6

Captain

QUOTE (bobthedinosaur @ Mar 4 2017, 07:31 PM) *
I did a couple of DEM + aerial photo maps but they never turned out great. I guess if you limit the gameplay to air only and take out the ground combat it is not so bad. I had some that were done up in Alaska mountains and it just never looked right when being in soldier or ground vehicle point of view. Also you can probably avoid excessive tree placement if you just do without the ground aspect and treat it more as a arcade flight sim. The frustrating part for me has always been the scale of bf2 maps. I guess if you turn the shadows off and use this technique with interesting terrain DEM's you will be able to make a decent air map.

Looks cool, but maybe add more jets for the AI too?

Hi Bob,

yes the problem is not new;

There is clearly a limitation to making a map, both aerial and for infantry; For the one I work on, I just added some objects around the airports, a bit of undergrowth, and nothing like tree, on the rest of the map, to avoid weighing down the game: I recognize that fitting orthophotos On heightmap is not very simple, but once you get there, the result is stunningly realistic; As far as one can see from afar, as from an airplane, for example; Lol ! biggrin.gif

For the problem of distance, do you remember to have seen the peaks of distant mountains, disappear into nothingness; It is really awful; But with a fine management of the fog, you can get something acceptable: just forget the hope to see more than 3000 meters: impossible, anyway, I have not found how to do! In fact, it seems to me that this limit distance corresponds to the diagonal of the largest heightmap (scale 2) supported by the game: 2048 x 2048, so ..........2896 meters:

I now have an ortho texture of 1024 x4, with a set of 8 secondary fields, all in the same definition, that is to say 9 images in 4096 x 4096 pixels; Very very heavy, but what a beautiful landscape!

I only regret not having succeeded in transforming the secondary 8 bit heightmaps to 16 bit, which would have given a much better result: the game don't accept it:

as for the bots in jets, did yours crash also, incomprehensibly, on the sides of the mountains?

I can, indeed, put more, but the crashes will be multiplied, I think ...

Any idea ?

Here, a video, unfortunately rotten by youtube, from the latest improvements

https://youtu.be/U4jALhDUfpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4jALhDUfpk

This post has been edited by cataly63: Mar 9 2017, 12:39 PM

+Quote Post
cataly63
post Mar 5 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #7

Captain

QUOTE (Anthony817 @ Mar 2 2017, 12:52 AM) *
WOW! This is so awesome! I wish we could have you on our Korean War mod. Making some Korean mountains or actual battlefield areas from historical battles would be so awesome for our historical realism mod.

I have never seen a more realistic map in game before, only some of the FH2 and PR maps come close.

thank you, Anthony817, but, for the moment, i'm really very busy with my own map: Problems still to be resolved; may be later ?

+Quote Post
cataly63
post Mar 10 2017, 11:57 AM
Post #8

Captain

Well seated?
Fasten your seatbelts ! tongue.gif

https://youtu.be/bypt7Cc5hbo

This post has been edited by cataly63: Mar 10 2017, 12:04 PM

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Mar 11 2017, 08:16 AM
Post #9

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 48

Wow that looks really good.

Moving to mapper's delight due to mapping related nature of thread.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Mar 11 2017, 11:32 AM
Post #10

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Member No.: 46

You can use regular BF2 SPX mod. It is an AI improvement mod. It uses the same kits as in BF2, so it will work with any map designed for BF2:

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...showtopic=18177

I set up a an updated AIbehaviors.ai file if you want to test it out:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_o_kOaz7...X0tzSlZ0VHE2VTA

--------------------
No, my Avatar is not my dog.

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Mar 11 2017, 11:48 AM
Post #11

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Dnamro @ Mar 11 2017, 12:32 PM) *
You can use regular BF2 SPX mod. It is an AI improvement mod. It uses the same kits as in BF2, so it will work with any map designed for BF2:

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...showtopic=18177

I set up a an updated AIbehaviors.ai file if you want to test it out:

Recommending SPX? Have you fixed the shader issue? headscratch.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
cataly63
post Mar 11 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #12

Captain

Hi Dnamro, MasterChiefRulZ, this afternoon, I spent several hours to modify the AIbeaviour.ai and to test the results in game, following your recommendations; Indeed, it is clear that this affects the behavior of the jets: unfortunately, and despite systematic tests, it seems that there is not much to do to avoid the crash on the mountainous flanks: obviously it is Still another thing; maybe, it should be possible to force the time allocated to the bots by the system; but how ??

In the meantime, I will continue my tests with the aiBehaviour to be quite certain. Thanks for the file

Cat

Eventually, I could upload the map somewhere so you can test it ....

This post has been edited by cataly63: Mar 11 2017, 12:05 PM

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Mar 11 2017, 06:02 PM
Post #13

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Member No.: 46

that would be helpful to have a copy of the map. What about raising up the flags in the valley so that the bots don't have fly as far down into it to cap flags? If it's a dogfighting map, the flags could be in the air.

MCR, SPX will still work for his map to test the Aibehaviors. It's only certain maps from SF xpack that were having texture issues.

--------------------
No, my Avatar is not my dog.

+Quote Post
cataly63
post Mar 12 2017, 04:34 AM
Post #14

Captain

...I set up a an updated AIbehaviors.ai file if you want to test it out:

Obviously, your file is corrupt; I put it in the mod, but CTD immediately after loading: it weighs 50.5 kb while the original weighs 49.6 kb !?
Anyway, I tried with the same values but no improvement

.. What about raising up the flags in the valley so that the bots don't have fly as far down into it to cap flags? If it's a dogfighting map, the flags could be in the air.

The basic idea of the map gameplay is that only helicopters can capture the flags; The planes are there only to protect the helicopters: putting the flags, at high altitude, always seemed a little strange to me; It is a choice that I do not make; What advantage, then, of having a mountainous relief if the aircraft do not approach it ?

This post has been edited by cataly63: Mar 12 2017, 04:35 AM

+Quote Post
Michael Z Freema...
post Mar 13 2017, 05:19 PM
Post #15

Previously Xenephone
Group Icon

Group: BFSP Team
Member No.: 4,215

Whoa. This is so out there I wonder if you should just get it out there.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2017 - 08:24 PM