Does anyone still use Maya 6?
Dnamro
post Nov 12 2016, 09:13 AM
Post #1

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 46

I was wondering if there is any point in trying to save the Maya 6 tutorials. Is anyone still using Maya 6? I could not get Maya 6 to install on any Windows system after XP. With XP now unsupported and, therefore, unsafe to use online, I don't think there is anyone still using Maya 6, which was the last version to have Battlefield plugin support. As far as I know there no Battlefield modders left that use Maya 6. The last tutorials for Maya 6 that I can find are at least 10 years old which were created by the old EA mod coordinator or by Kysterama.

Kysterama's navmesh tutorial for Maya is not really relevant now. Since navmeshes use the standard obj format, any of the newer versions of 3d modeling tools available would be much better. If anything, the Maya navmesh tutorial would need to be updated to a more current version of Maya.

As far as the other Maya 6 battlefield tutorials, I don't see that they would still be useful, other than maybe using the Maya 6 import and export settings?

--------------------
No, my Avatar is not my dog.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
MasterChiefRulZ
post Nov 12 2016, 11:29 AM
Post #2

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

Kysterama's navmesh tutorial for Maya is not really relevant now. Since navmeshes use the standard obj format, any of the newer versions of 3d modeling tools available would be much better. If anything, the Maya navmesh tutorial would need to be updated to a more current version of Maya.

I would archive something with that much information, and not delete it. Never know when an old method could be applied to solve a new problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Nov 14 2016, 12:26 PM
Post #3

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Member No.: 46

Incidentally, I started working on loading the Maya modding tutorials, by the EA Mod Coordinator, before I realized that they were the Maya versions and not the 3dsMax. Apparently, the mod coordinator used Maya primarily and did not specify in the tutorial titles for these that they were for Maya -- which is why I believe that he used Maya more than 3ds Max:

Building the Bunker:
http://classic-battlefield-modding.wikia.c..._Bunker_in_Maya

Building the Car:
http://classic-battlefield-modding.wikia.c...uilding_the_Car

Since, I already started, I will plan on finishing these, but I will make them last priority. They mostly need editing and to finish upload the pics. What I don't know is what is the last version that the import/export plugins worked? I assume that the plugins don't work on newer versions of Maya. With the issues in installing earlier versions of Maya on any windows system before Vista, there would be no way to use Maya to import and export using the Battlefield format, without using Windows XP. I am sure there are still some XP system users, either with older systems or dual boot setups. Even in that case, the would most likely already be experience modders that already have a copy of the tutorials.

I supposed, there could be a situation where someone is using a current version of Maya to do the modelling and then porting it over to Maya 6, 3ds Max 9 or Gmax to do the exporting, so the tutorials may still be useful to some.

I think it would be more likely for someone to use a more current version of Maya for navmeshing, since it would just use the standard obj format. Now Kysterama's singleplayer tutorial included navmeshing with Maya, and would probably still be useful with current Maya versions. I have already used and expanded the sections of Kysterama's tutorial that are not Maya specific and expanded them. I just have the section on Navmeshing with maya to upload.

--------------------
No, my Avatar is not my dog.

+Quote Post
oldrick
post Nov 14 2016, 06:56 PM
Post #4

Private

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 10,819

Reading through the MAYA folder that is installed with the BF2Editor it looks like the plugins contained in it are for MAYA 6.0.1 (6.01 ?). One of the documents implies that DICE started development with MAYA 4.5 but upgraded later to 6.0.1 and revised all of the scripts, plugins, and CGF shaders for MAYA 6. (With warnings about upgrading and syncing the software, Nvidia's cg shader, DICE's custom cg shader kit, the MAYA file importer for BF2Editor, and... a whole list of things to make sure it all worked properly.) Most of the tools seem to be based on .mel (MAYA Embedded Language) scripts. But, with all the customization that DICE did to get what they wanted out of MAYA 6 I doubt that any of it can be used with a later version of MAYA.

I suppose it's possible that someone with Rexman-level skills in MAYA could use this stuff as a starting point and write a new set of tools for the current version of MAYA. But, with the DICE custom utilities MayaParser.mll and MParser.exe needed to transfer MAYA files from MAYA to BF2Editor, I am not expecting anyone to succeed.

+Quote Post
mschoeldgen
post Dec 21 2016, 12:24 PM
Post #5

Major

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 410

Theres probably no point in investing more time into the Maya stuff (docs and/or tools) except that Lawrence Brown from DICE in the early days of BF2 used it to make the tutorials.

All other modellers and AI creators used 3DS Max with Rexmans tools and their spin-offs. Rexmans intermediate format to feed Sceneparse.exe with is documented in the scripts and therefore much easier to port (which was actually done with the PoE Tools and Max 9)

This post has been edited by mschoeldgen: Dec 21 2016, 12:25 PM

--------------------
http://www.xww2.com Reviving the past on todays game engine

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2017 - 03:03 PM