Blender tools for battlefield 2?, as the main title said
Keeli
post Jun 8 2016, 04:48 AM
Post #1

Enlisted

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 11,239

Hi

just wanted to hear if there does exist a export/import for Blender for bf2, as i dont have 3ds max anymore due to my licens running out, and i cant really afford a new licens at this time.
I am not into ilegal versions so i prefer to skip them, i've been reading alot of places that there doesn't but i just wanted to hear for a extra time that maybe someone had made one.

best regards Keeli
and sorry if this has been posted many times by others :-)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
MasterChiefRulZ
post Jun 9 2016, 12:09 PM
Post #2

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 48

I did a quick google search of "Battlefield 2 blender" and came up with this...

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...php?t10411.html

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388-pr-bf...ls-blender.html

Google is a great search tool.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Jun 9 2016, 04:23 PM
Post #3

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Member No.: 46

Actually, there are no good options. The import/export tools for 3dsmax and Maya use compiled plugins, which are not compatible with Blender. Max 9 was the last version that had full plugin support for BF2. Someone was able to get the plugins to partially work for max 2010. The collision mesh importer from the guy that made BFMeshviewer works for all versions of 3dsmax but very useful by itself. The BFMeshviewer can import the BF2 models and export to obj file, but the results are not great. My understanding is that the UVmapping is lost, which is means you lose all the textures. I also heard that it results requires a lot of cleanup. Generally, its easier to start from scratch, than to try to rework a model converted like this. It also can't export back into BF2.

If you have a modern 64 bit system with windows 10, trying to use an unsupported version of 3dsmax you will run into the headache of graphic artifacts that will block the view requiring 3ds max to constantly have to be stopped and restarted when running the 32 bit version. The BF2 plug in tools only support the 32 bit versions of 3ds max. The 64 bit version of 3ds max 2010 did not have these issues. So a work around to work in windows 10 would be to do all the modeling work the 64bit version of max and then switch to the 32 bit to do the import/export actions. PITA! Alternatively, booting to XP or even windows 7 would be easier.

I could not get the latest version of Maya that had BF2 plugin support to even install in windows 7. So the only option for Maya is to boot to XP.

The only way to work safely in XP is with the internet turned off, since the OS is no longer secure. Of course, that is even if you can set up a dual boot on newer systems, since most modern systems don't have 32 or XP drivers. A good reason to not throw away that 10 year old Dell.

Now if you are navmeshing, then you are in luck. The navmesh is in obj format and Blender supports it.

So, the only way to import/export BF2 models is with older versions of max or Maya.

--------------------
No, my Avatar is not my dog.

+Quote Post
Fastj@ck
post Jun 9 2016, 04:54 PM
Post #4

Major

Member No.: 5,523

Is it possible to create a model in blender, save it in a format that 3ds supports and a proud owner of 3ds could convert this file to obj.???

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Jun 9 2016, 05:36 PM
Post #5

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

There are better formats than obj, but the concept might work. Just finding a good format that will still work with older versions of max and getting someone to port to BF2 might work. But then you are depending on someone else and the list of those still around are not easy to find. For one thing you have to make sure the hierarchy is set up right. The collision meshes need to be set appropriately. The model needs to be checked for LODs. Did the UVmap port over? There a lot of things that have to be set up right to get the model into BF2.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keeli
post Jun 10 2016, 02:19 AM
Post #6

Enlisted

thank you for all your replies, i will see if i am that lucky to use gmax after blender to see if it will work but who knows it could just be cool to port some of all the models i made so far :-/

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Jun 10 2016, 05:37 AM
Post #7

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

QUOTE (Keeli @ Jun 10 2016, 03:19 AM) *
thank you for all your replies, i will see if i am that lucky to use gmax after blender to see if it will work but who knows it could just be cool to port some of all the models i made so far :-/

Oh yeah. I forgot about GMAX. You should be able to use the BF2 GMAX tools to port to BF2. You just can't import BF2 models into GMAX. Also, GMAX has not LOD capability. Let me know if you run into any issues and I will update my modeling tool comparison for BF2:

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...showtopic=17749

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keeli
post Jun 10 2016, 12:32 PM
Post #8

Enlisted

QUOTE (Dnamro @ Jun 10 2016, 01:37 PM) *
QUOTE (Keeli @ Jun 10 2016, 03:19 AM) *

Oh yeah. I forgot about GMAX. You should be able to use the BF2 GMAX tools to port to BF2. You just can't import BF2 models into GMAX. Also, GMAX has not LOD capability. Let me know if you run into any issues and I will update my modeling tool comparison for BF2:

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...showtopic=17749

thank you very much will try see if i can get them ported, with out all LOD's are split apart :-)

your help was kind and useful :-)

+Quote Post
Fastj@ck
post Jun 10 2016, 12:58 PM
Post #9

Major

Member No.: 5,523

QUOTE (Fastj@ck @ Jun 9 2016, 05:54 PM) *
Is it possible to create a model in blender, save it in a format that 3ds Gmax supports and a proud owner of 3ds i convert this file to obj with Gmax.???

Can someone give an technical information about this?! I believe it would be enough for me because i am not interrested in making animations, soldier-,weapons- or vehicle models. I would go for buildings and most of them would be ruins.

This post has been edited by Fastj@ck: Jun 10 2016, 01:08 PM

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Jun 12 2016, 11:59 AM
Post #10

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

I would go for buildings and most of them would be ruins.

And you would be my hero. One of many... tongue.gif

One thing I loved about WWII FPS games is their atmospherics and how maps *looked* like warzones. Hardly any statics in BF2 actually have battle damage to invoke that aesthetic.

If you succeed I'd recommend 'wrecking' existing statics if possible. Probably (?) be the easier path and just as effective.

--------------------

+Quote Post
oldrick
post Nov 9 2017, 08:30 AM
Post #11

Captain

Member No.: 10,819

QUOTE (Keeli @ Jun 8 2016, 04:48 AM) *
Hi

just wanted to hear if there does exist a export/import for Blender for bf2, as i dont have 3ds max anymore due to my licens running out, and i cant really afford a new licens at this time.
I am not into ilegal versions so i prefer to skip them, i've been reading alot of places that there doesn't but i just wanted to hear for a extra time that maybe someone had made one.

best regards Keeli
and sorry if this has been posted many times by others :-)

HUGE RESURRECTION to topic...

But this is on the Project Reality site under Re: Blender for PR Modelling?
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f388-pr-bf...tml#post2171388
(EDIT: fixed wrong link)

The guy is a PR Dev and is working on trying to create tools to get Blender to export to BF2 formats.

Don't know how well this is going but his last entry is from mid-September 2017. Which is recent compared to other attempts I've found trying to do this.

MasterChiefRulZ pointed this out to me in another thread. But, I thought it would be useful to mention it here.

This post has been edited by oldrick: Nov 14 2017, 05:10 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th November 2017 - 05:40 AM