Unknow CTD after every a round
Rabbit106
post Sep 21 2015, 05:32 AM
Post #1

Enlisted

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 10,857

Hey there,

this maybe have been talked before, but im trying to fix a frustrating problem I have.... I've recently start mixing AIX mod with some of the PR stuff, everything was working great.... but know I have an Issue that i couldnt find to resolve..... After playing 1 round (the whole round plays with no issues at all)on any map and load another map or load the map again when I try to start the second round or map the game crashes with no error.... Im playing it in window mode and also using a debugger and theres no error of waht so ever.... I was wondering if somebody else encounter this and if so what help with the fix....

Im using AIX mixed with Aixmm and PR weapons,soldiers,kits and factions
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
MasterChiefRulZ
post Sep 21 2015, 07:31 AM
Post #2

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 48

That sounds exactly like a problem I used to have, it was with RAM consumption.

Modding in content adds more RAM usage, and if BF2 exceeds it's 1.4 hardcoded limit it will automatically CTD. BF2 ver 1.5 removes this hardcoded limit. Make sure you have enough RAM to run your personal version of BF2.

There is a fix for using BF2 ver 1.41 with a custom executable, it's posted somewhere in these forums.

Aha, here's the thread with discussion about RAM limits....

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...showtopic=14708

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rabbit106
post Sep 21 2015, 09:40 PM
Post #3

Enlisted

Member No.: 10,857

QUOTE (MasterChiefRulZ @ Sep 21 2015, 09:31 AM) *
That sounds exactly like a problem I used to have, it was with RAM consumption.

Modding in content adds more RAM usage, and if BF2 exceeds it's 1.4 hardcoded limit it will automatically CTD. BF2 ver 1.5 removes this hardcoded limit. Make sure you have enough RAM to run your personal version of BF2.

There is a fix for using BF2 ver 1.41 with a custom executable, it's posted somewhere in these forums.

Aha, here's the thread with discussion about RAM limits....

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...showtopic=14708

i have Bf2 ver 1.5
and my system is 8gb of ram it should be enought I guess
Also if i run the game from the debugger the game doesnt crash (bf2_r)

This post has been edited by Rabbit106: Sep 21 2015, 09:49 PM

+Quote Post
WantedMan
post Sep 24 2015, 11:14 PM
Post #4

Captain

Member No.: 10,051

What does the task manager shows in memory usage when you load these maps? Do the classic Control Alt Delete and monitor aix.exe/bf2.exe

These things require deleting some effects, anything not needed, see if that reduces it.

If you are running BF2 1.41, the memory limit is 2GB.

Updating to BF2 1.5 will up the limit to 4GB, though if the mod is not below 2GB as a rule of thumb, you do need to look at which files are being loaded and ways to optimize things.

This post has been edited by WantedMan: Sep 25 2015, 12:31 AM

+Quote Post
JOHN007
post Sep 26 2015, 07:58 PM
Post #5

JABBA

Member No.: 8,199

You could try to ''large address aware'' the BF2.exe with Explorersuite.

Making the exe use added virtual memory if the app is over 2gb.

1. First download and install or extract the Explorer Suite (we are using CFF explorer in the suite) from http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php.
  2. Next make a backup copy of game executable file (Something like hl2.exe, bf2.exe).
  3. Start CFF Explorer and open the orginal executable (*.exe) file.
  4. Note: Vista users with UAC enabled should use the "Run as Administrator" option, else you would not be able to save the modified executable to the Program Files directory.
  5. Now go to NT Header/File Header and click File Header. There you will find a button labeled "Click Here" (on the right side). Click it.
  6. Now select the checkbox "App can handle> 2gb adresses".
  7. Save the modified EXE, overwrite the orginal one. (Note in Vista you must be running CFF Explorer in Administrator Mode).

--------------------

N.B.KLAN

+Quote Post
bobthedinosaur
post Sep 26 2015, 11:28 PM
Post #6

Dictator

Member No.: 7,896

John could you upload a patched 1.41 exe?

--------------------
Not doing modding right now, so please don't ask.

+Quote Post
JOHN007
post Sep 27 2015, 04:13 PM
Post #7

JABBA

Hello,

I don't have a 1.4.1 Bf2.exe I'm afraid I'm on version 1.5. The procedure is quite simple.

John.

--------------------

N.B.KLAN

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Sep 27 2015, 04:49 PM
Post #8

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Thanks JOHN for contributing, it's good for users to have plenty of options for fixes if one option doesn't work for them. It's good to see community pulling together. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Notwithstanding
post Mar 23 2016, 11:46 AM
Post #9

Private

Member No.: 11,303

Continuation from this thread
QUOTE (Notwithstanding @ Mar 23 2016, 12:50 PM) *
QUOTE (MasterChiefRulZ @ Mar 23 2016, 03:01 AM) *
Would've been #3 if it didn't have regular errorless crashes

Did you check the List of Important Modding threads? There's a topic related to that in the list.

Sometimes BF2 CTD with no error message in Windowed mode. What now?

Yes, and even though I'm experiencing the exact problem as described (crashing when loading the 2nd map), we've simply made it a habit to exit AIX, then restart AIX and this makes that map load fine again.

I checked with CFF Explorer and the >2GB thingy was already checked. Could this program be used to add extra awards to the exe? I know they are stored in the exe by their numbers as mentioned in the python files (like "1031109"), medals are mentioned 3 times each in the exe and badges 9 times (obviously 3 times more often than medals and ribbons, since badges come in 3).

The crashes in Fushe Pass seem to be random, sometimes it crashes after 45 minutes or perhaps 1 1/2 hour, and sometimes it crashes within 20 minutes or so. Always without an error message and I always play in windowed mode.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with any of the stuff I changed in Fushe Pass (only some swapping of vehicles), but it might be a good idea to play a couple rounds with the backup server.zip

I've tried going through the log files (the ones that tell when a player or bot picks up a kit, kills someone, how many shots fired), but it seemed totally random and not have anything to do with anything mentioned in the log file. All computers already had 1.5 installed, so using a debugger would require me setting up a rig specifically for playing maps was a hassle I just never got around to do so we ended up simply avoiding playing Fushe Pass

QUOTE (MasterChiefRulZ @ Mar 23 2016, 04:47 PM) *
Is everyone in your LAN using a 64 bit OS in conjunction with BF2 ver 1.5? The two are required in order to use more than 2 gigs of memory for BF2. If using a 32 bit OS you have to edit your registry to allow more RAM for BF2 ver 1.5.

To keep from dragging this thread off topic, if you want to continue discussing your issue, we should refer to appropriate thread. smile.gif

Yes, all of us are using 64-bit OS's. And it's always the host that crashes (all clients will then loose connection to the server of course).

The funny thing is that another map that I did modify, always has the clients crash after a short (but random) while, but the host keeps running stable, no matter which computer is hosting. We've had this problem before (host keeps running, but clients crashed) and after a while we managed to figure this problem out: It was a modified A10 that was causing all clients to crash the moment it spawned on the map.

But Fushe Pass, I really have no idea why this one keeps crashing. And it's really particular to this map, all other maps may crash on occasion but Fushe Pass is almost guaranteed to crash before the round is over, always without an error message while in windowed mode.

edit: I just checked, could the absense of the client.zip be related to the crashing?
And apparently we used several versions of Fushe Pass: The one that came with AIX2 and the one that came with TNG2. I do remember the TNG2 variant crashing (obviously this map has nothing to do with AIX2), but we had a reason to use the TNG2 one instead of the AIX2 one. I think I'll go play a game on the AIX2 version (including the client.zip file) and see how things go...

This post has been edited by Notwithstanding: Mar 23 2016, 12:16 PM

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Mar 23 2016, 12:12 PM
Post #10

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Fushe Pass is almost guaranteed to crash before the round is over, always without an error message while in windowed mode.

Any custom weapons or pickup kits specific to that map? The other common cause of crashes with no error message in windowed mode is the item index conflict bug. The item index conflict bug is where two items or more in a single kit have the same number for using them assigned to them, like 2 different guns in a kit that both use the number '3' key on your keyboard.

Whether it's in a kit you spawn with or in a custom kit you pickup in that specific map either could cause this same style of CTD no error in windowed mode.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Notwithstanding
post Mar 23 2016, 12:21 PM
Post #11

Private

Member No.: 11,303

QUOTE (MasterChiefRulZ @ Mar 23 2016, 07:12 PM) *
Fushe Pass is almost guaranteed to crash before the round is over, always without an error message while in windowed mode.

Any custom weapons or pickup kits specific to that map? The other common cause of crashes with no error message in windowed mode is the item index conflict bug. The item index conflict bug is where two items or more in a single kit have the same number for using them assigned to them, like 2 different guns in a kit that both use the number '3' key on your keyboard.

Whether it's in a kit you spawn with or in a custom kit you pickup in that specific map either could cause this same style of CTD no error in windowed mode.

The only thing I changed to the kits was to disable the deployable mortar and later I added a few extra grenades that spawned vehicles. I usually never edit existing pickup kits, but clone an existing one and make changes there, then replace the old kits with the cloned ones.

It's been a while since Fushe Pass was played, so I don't remember all the details anymore. I think it's best that I give it a few more tries (with a fresh copy, only adding the vehicles that will work in the other maps that we played) and then report back smile.gif.

edit: Was Fushe Pass actually included with AIX2? It's not in my untouched AIX2 directory, so it's possible I got it from another mod (possibly the 64p SP mod?).

This post has been edited by Notwithstanding: Mar 23 2016, 12:26 PM

+Quote Post
JOHN007
post Mar 24 2016, 12:28 PM
Post #12

JABBA

Hang on.

Have you installed the AIX patch for BF2 1.5?

It fixes all these issues, the mortar works and it loads up the next map no problem.

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...showtopic=16333

--------------------

N.B.KLAN

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2017 - 04:31 PM