IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Resolving The Spinning Bots., TimedC4 bots spinning issue.
JOHN007
post Aug 20 2015, 11:21 AM
Post #1

JABBA

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 8,199

Hello everyone.

I've been trying to resolve the spinning bot issue for quite a while now, I've studied multiple forums taking this for example http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...php?t13548.html.

Seems to be only the engineer holding the TimedC4 that spins around. I've tweaked the engineer strength and target settings to be different throughout but no luck im afraid?

What has fixed the issue is completely removing the TimedC4 from the USA Engineer only, leaving all other factions with the Timed C4 intact.

For balance issues I then tried to replace the USA Engineer TimedC4 with the standard C4 with no luck I'm afraid CTD. Could it be an Item index issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated thankyou ever so much for your time and hope to speak soon.

John.

--------------------

N.B.KLAN
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Death_EnForcer
post Aug 20 2015, 06:05 PM
Post #2

Dictator
Group Icon

Group: BFSP Team
Member No.: 294

This is what clivewil said about spinning bots.
in AIX 2 we'd get it mostly with bots holding C4 time bombs. they had a unique weapon ai template and were disallowed from targeting aircraft*. over the years i've heard a few people claim to fix it or reduce it but nothing conclusive - it still remains an issue, afaik.

*we spent ages trying to find a config that solved it. those two items were definitely part of the tested configs, regardless of what ended up in the mod final release. it was very common to change something, see no spinners, and then think it was solved only to see another one in the next round. they are very intermittent which makes test results misleading sometimes

clivewil would be best person to ask.

+Quote Post
clivewil
post Aug 20 2015, 07:15 PM
Post #3

meh.
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 3,545

no, i didn't find anything conclusive, but then again i didn't look much further into it after the initial efforts because aircraft was more my thing so i stayed focused on those.

the only thing i can suggest is a comparison and study against AT mines, which are carried and deployed in a similar way, but as far as i know do not seem to have the same issue with spinners, e.g. set the C4TB to be used only against heavy armour and watch what happens (you will need to observe for a *long* time to properly gauge the result) - then switch that to only against light armour, and so on and see if you can isolate if one of the specific target types is the cause, before moving on to a more general debug strategy

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Aug 20 2015, 08:01 PM
Post #4

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

I rarely ever see spinning bots in my AIX anymore.

What I did was tweak the AI templates of weapons so they didn't share the same priority for any one target.

Worked wonders for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JOHN007
post Aug 24 2015, 11:00 AM
Post #5

JABBA

Hello,

My original theory of removing only the US Engineer class TimedC4 was inconclusive. Thanks for your reply Clive I salute you sir I will indeed test out the TimedC4 in different vehicle catagories and post back the results. The main reason this has become an issue is that I've edited the Ai cull radius distance and weapon range to 600 meter minimum, even if the weapon strengths to vehicles are different throughout. This results in spinning bots from any location on the map.

Thankyou ever so much for your time and I'll post back the results ASAP.

John.

--------------------

N.B.KLAN

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Aug 24 2015, 11:44 AM
Post #6

You know the drill...
Group Icon

I've studied multiple forums taking this for example http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...php?t13548.html.

I've tweaked the engineer strength and target settings to be different throughout but no luck im afraid?

I'm curious. I don't get spinning Timed C4 anymore, but you referenced that thread I originally posted in. Mind if you post your Timed C4 AI weapons tweak? For kicks and giggles throw in your other AI templates for other items in your Spec Ops kit.

Also, did you make sure no other weapon AI templates were sharing that template? Something I've noticed about BF2 code is that if you have code named elsewhere with the exact same name then changes will be ignored in one location in favor of the other.

Also (again), did you tweak the other AI templates of the other weapons in your Spec Ops kit? All items 1 through 8 should not have the same priority for the same type of target or you'll get bot spinning from their inability to pick. A bot simply responds to what it's told to do, and if you're telling it to attack a tank with a priority of 9 with both regular C4 and timed C4, it's going to go bonkers and start spinning.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bobthedinosaur
post Aug 27 2015, 11:16 PM
Post #7

Dictator

Member No.: 7,896

I also had some success awhile back when I made a mod with changed prioties for each weapon for each kit, so none were ever the same

--------------------
Not doing modding right now, so please don't ask.

+Quote Post
Fastj@ck
post Aug 28 2015, 12:40 PM
Post #8

Major

Member No.: 5,523

For balance issues I then tried to replace the USA Engineer TimedC4 with the standard C4 with no luck I'm afraid CTD. Could it be an Item index issue?

CTD: aiTemplate Engineer used a weapon from aiTemplate Specops (normal C4)

Some soldier types cannot use some equipment from other classes. I think its hardcodded. Maybe, you can make a workaround with copies of weapons with different ItemIndexes:

One excample:

Once, i tried to give the Officer kit aiTemplate (Specops / PR mod) an assault rifle with underbarrel grenade launcher (grenadier Kit aiTemplate Assault)
I used the normal weapon indexes from the Assaultclass weapons. It crashed. The normal grenade Launcher had the itemindex 4.
I was forced to copy the grenade launcher and gave the weapon another Itemindex (5) and it worked because the specops uses grenades on itemindex 5.

The difference was, that the assaultclass use the grenadelauncher or fraggrenade on idx 4 but the specops use it on idx 5.

You should always uses the vanilla kits classes and the weapon idx they use as a guideline.
If one class use a grenade on idx 4 and another class on idx 5 and you want that the other class uses the grenade from the other one, you must make a copy and change the idx.

You will also encounter those problem with mines, antitank weapon; ap mines, defri etc.

If you want to give the Engineer class a rocketlauncher, dont use the itemindex slots from the vanilla mines ,at launcher.
Make a new one.
I am not sure now but i have something in backmind, that the engineer class make much trouble but longtime ago

+Quote Post
JOHN007
post Sep 26 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #9

JABBA

Hello and thankyou ever so much for the information I haven't been online in a while but I'm back on with AIX2 and BF2statistics.

I will indeed try and clone either the C4 or C4timed bomb to assign to the engineer class. MasterChiefRulz here is the list of weapon strengths for the engineer class and spec ops class.

Engineer Class

US

KNIFE 1
KIMBER 2
MORTAR 6
MKR 11/ 12
C4TIMED 15/16
AT MINE 17
WRENCH 18

----------------------------------------------------------------

MEC

KNIFE 1
GSH 2
MORTAR 6
FAMAS 8
C4TIMED 15/16
AT MINE 17
WRENCH 18

CH

KNIFE 1
GLOCK 2
MORTAR 6
TAVOR 9
C4TIMED 15/16
AT MINE 17
WRENCH 18

UN

KNIFE 1
USPMATCH 2
MORTAR 6
SIG552SOPS 9
C4TIMED 15/16
AT MINE 17
WRENCH 18

------------------------------------

Spec Ops Class

US

USP SILENCED 2
INCEND 3 / 4
XM8 9 / 1
THROWKNIFE 10
C4 12 / 14
C4TIMED 15 / 16

--------------------------------------------------------

MEC

GSH SILENCED 2
INCEND 3 / 4
G36V 9 / 1
THROWKNIFE 10
C4 12 / 14
C4TIMED 15 / 16

------------------------------------------------------

CH

GLOCK19SILENCER 2
INCEND 3 / 4
TYPE97 5 / 1
THROWKNIFE 10
C4 12 / 14
C4TIMED 15 / 16

--------------------------------------------------------

UN

USPMATCHSILENCER 2
INCEND 3 / 4
P90 9 / 1
THROWKNIFE 10
C4 12 / 14
C4TIMED 15 / 16

Thanks again.

John.

--------------------

N.B.KLAN

+Quote Post
bobthedinosaur
post Sep 26 2015, 11:22 PM
Post #10

Dictator

what do those numbers mean? are they supposed to represent "weaponTemplate.setStrength Infantry " or item index? neither of those make sense since item index only does to 9 and ai strength should be greater than 1 and not heavier on C4

--------------------

+Quote Post
JOHN007
post Sep 27 2015, 03:43 PM
Post #11

JABBA

Hello and thanks for the reply.

The numbers represent weapon strengths, the first number represents infantry, the second number represents vehicles.

I will upload the templates in more detail.

Thanks again.

John.

--------------------

N.B.KLAN

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Sep 27 2015, 05:33 PM
Post #12

You know the drill...
Group Icon

QUOTE (BobtheDino)
what do those numbers mean?

QUOTE (JOHN007)
The numbers represent weapon strengths, the first number represents infantry, the second number represents vehicles.

Ok. So let's look at the US Engie for example...

KNIFE 1
KIMBER 2
MORTAR 6
MKR 11/ 12
C4TIMED 15/16
AT MINE 17
WRENCH 18

Since the last two only have one number, I'm going to assume they're meant for vehicles and not infantry. Though it would be pretty entertaining if Engineers run across the battlefield preferring clubbing enemy infantry with their wrenches vs using their MKRs, no lie. I also notice it appears as if you have timed C4 being used again infantry? I wouldn't think that would be terribly effective as infantry don't remain still enough, honestly that might be a contributor to your 'spinning issue'.

First thing I notice is you go above 9 for AI strength against target. Since there are only 9 slots I personally only use numbers 1 through 9. I know the default AI strengths DICE scripted go above 9, but let's remember DICE doesn't exactly have a stunning track record for 'bug free.' Note I do have some weapons with higher strengths than 9 myself, but only if they were there by default. If it's not broken I don't fix it, but if I have issues I tinker..

Me I would go with AI strengths like this (first for Infantry, second for Vehicles)..

KNIFE 1
KIMBER 3
MORTAR 2/5
MKR (rifle?) 6/4
C4TIMED 7
AT MINE 9
WRENCH 8

Using your MKR rifle against vehicles (in my chart) would be light ground vehicles of course, not armored nor aircraft.

Since this is an engineer class I put a lot of strength towards repairing friendly and destroying enemy vehicles, while infantry combat have a lesser importance to the Engie AI. In a firefight with mixed classes I would have other classes focusing on enemy infantry while if enemy vehicles were nearby the Engineer would be putting his attention to dealing with them (or would focus on repairing friendly vehicles nearby).

Now if you have multiple anti-vehicle weapons you might put halves like 8.5 or 7.5, which is what I've done with good effect.

But I recommend no weapon in any one kit should have the exact same strength of say for example "9" against anything else. Like 9 for a MKR against infantry and 9 with AT MINE against Heavy vehicles. If an AI Engineer is confronted with both simultaneously, which is he supposed to choose? I surmise such situations are what prompted 'AI spinning'.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bobthedinosaur
post Sep 28 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #13

Dictator

why is c4 more important than a rifle?

--------------------

+Quote Post
JOHN007
post Sep 29 2015, 02:07 PM
Post #14

JABBA

Hello,

Thankyou ever so much MasterchiefRulz for this information. Running test phase now with new weapon templates. I'll post back the results.

Thanks again.

John.

--------------------

N.B.KLAN

+Quote Post
JOHN007
post Oct 9 2015, 07:14 AM
Post #15

JABBA

Hello.

At the moment the only teams that have issues with the C4timed is any map with the teams, China vs MEC. Another weird bug is that when I changed the templates regarding the C4timed it seemed the bug out the EU AT Class player with the Rocket launcher. The only way of fixing the EU AT Class was the change the unlocked weapon templates in the Bf2 Objects_Server.zip. One more template to point out is that the US M249 SAW bugged out aswell, that was fixed. Very strange so I'm just posting the verify that the unlocked weapons are also effected by the class strengths?

Thankyou ever so much for your time and hope to speak soon.

John.

--------------------

N.B.KLAN

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 04:39 PM