Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Porting weapons into bf2 or 2142
bobthedinosaur
post Jul 16 2015, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Dictator

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 7,896

So since a lot of people had questions about porting tips tricks and advice I thought a seperate thread dedicated to such questions would be more helpful for those currently seeking information and those in the future who want some reference.

Here are a couple of relevant links for porting:

Information on conent for porting from a game developers whitelist
General BF2 model heirarchies (including weapons, see generic firearm)

So I'll start with a simple tip on porting p4f weapons.

1) Most of the p4f weapons are able to be opened and view with the bfmeshviewer tool, but importing them using the POE max tools often leads to errors. A simple work around that works most of the time, open the model in the meshviewer and then save as a new model with what ever name. this new save will screw up the format so if you reopen it in the meshviewer it will look broken, but don't worry if you import it using the POE tools most of the time all the pieces will be there. The enxt step is rearranging those pieces to fit an existing animation.

2) However, sometimes there will be an issue were some peices are completely lost in the save. I don't know why but the last solution for this is to use the modelviewer again and export as a format that useable by the modelign software you are using. I use obj format because it seems to work well, as it keeps the UVs jsut fine (but it wont preseve the material or shader data, which you can just reset later). One issue with using the export function in the modelviewer is that it throws all of the LOD's into the same layer with the same position so slecting them to seperate may become impossible. To avoid this before your use the export tool select each object in the LOD's and movethem slightly with the vertex transformation tool. For example, I have 2 LODs in one model. the first I can leave alone since I only need to seperate these two LOD's. For the second i open the "vertex transform" tool under the "tools" menu and select bone 0 first and then maybe make an offset of 2.0 and slect move. then i do that for each other bone so that all the parts are offest and can be easily separated.

okay that was rather a simple tutorial/ tip but further tips and tutorials can be simple or involved and don't have to pertain specifically to p4f. Just don't post anything that has a direct link to non whitelisted content and we should all be fine.

This post has been edited by bobthedinosaur: Jul 16 2015, 05:55 PM

--------------------
Not doing modding right now, so please don't ask.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)
MasterChiefRulZ
post Jul 16 2015, 10:24 PM
Post #2

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 48

Excellent. Great topic bob! Stickying and creating a reference in the "List of Important Modding Threads."

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2017 - 04:21 PM