Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Guide for playing BF2 LAN Co-Op 2-player with bots
doveman
post Jan 25 2013, 10:23 PM
Post #1

Enlisted

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 9,455

I want to run a two PC LAN Co-Op BF2 setup so I can play with my friend at the weekends but my heads spinning a bit having read a few threads, many of which are very old and/or have broken links, so it would be really helpful if someone could help me out with some current advice.

From what I've read, it seems I should use v1.4 rather than 1.5 as the latter has broken AI commander. The latest version I have installed is 1.5.3.x. Does that still have broken AI and how does that manifest, as playing a quick SP game with bots I was getting orders from the commander?

Is this still the way to play a Co-Op LAN game with bots?

"To start a LAN game with bots (using an offline account):
1. On the machine that will be the server, start a Multiplayer game on a 16-player map that is also available in Single Player mode (e.g. Strike at Karkand). You have to add the map to start a game.
2. Once the server's ready (Join Game button appears), have the client(s) all go to the Multiplayer option, Join Local and then Update/Refresh the list, just to get the game to appear on the list, then highlight the game, but don't press Join Game yet. You just want the network game to appear on this list.
3. Kill the Multiplayer game you started on the server by hitting ESC then Disconnect. Then, still on the server, start a Single Player game on the same level you selected earlier (e.g. Strike at Karkand). Once it's loaded and the Join Game button appears, have all the client PCs hit join on their screens. When they're all loaded you can all hit Join Game and play with bots plus however many human players you added.

You're basically tricking the game into letting client PCs join a Single Player game with bots. If you have an online account, you can just use the "Join IP" button and jump into any single player game that you have running if you know the server's IP address.

NOTES:
- To set the number of bots, just edit this file (Notepad) by following the instructions (64 is the practical max):
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\AI\AIDefault.ai"

Will I be able to play on any map on any mod with bots using this technique? I presume I have to edit the AIDefault.ai for each mod separately? Currently I've got AIX2, PR, AIX2 mini mod, Stargate, FH2, NAW, US Intervention, Sniper's Realm 2, Global Storm. I've got shortcuts to launch each of them but is there a utility that will let me select the mod and number of bots, etc? I've got BF2SPCC but I'm not sure how I'd use that in combination with the above trick to play Co-Op with bots. I don't think PR can be launched that way though, as it insists on being started with it's own pr.exe.

Is it still worth running a separate server and assigning it to core 0 and 1 of my Phenom II X4 955 and running the client on cores 2 and 3 or will it not make any difference on modern systems?

Lastly, are there any of those mods (or default maps) that will be more suitable for two players with bots? Obviously we'll have to play through a few to find which ones we prefer but I just want to avoid wasting time and boring my friend trying to play mods/maps that are totally unsuitable for that.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
MasterChiefRulZ
post Jan 26 2013, 09:40 AM
Post #2

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 48

The way to setup a game that you've quoted is years old, before they added Co-op that is now built into the game. Now you create a Singleplayer account when you first install the game, click on the Multiplayer tab, host a local game, and choose Co-op gameplay mode when you pick maps for playing. Your friend would then go the Multiplayer tab and click join local to find your game and join.

BF2 ver 1.4 is recommended as the Commander AI is botched past BF2 ver 1.5.

Project Reality has to be launched through it's own .exe.

All the bot supported mods are worth 2 player fun. I highly recommended using AIX 2.0 primarily, it was built with bots in mind and has AI enhancements (among other additions) that really enhance the offline experience. To keep it fun you want to load the right amount of AI for the map you play to populate the map, according to your desired playstyle experience.

Be sure to read the BF2/2142 Frequently Asked Questions Thread Sticky. Lots of helpful info for people new to BF2. Many of your questions would be answered there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
doveman
post Jan 26 2013, 08:20 PM
Post #3

Enlisted

QUOTE (MasterChiefRulZ @ Jan 26 2013, 03:40 PM) *
The way to setup a game that you've quoted is years old, before they added Co-op that is now built into the game. Now you create a Singleplayer account when you first install the game, click on the Multiplayer tab, host a local game, and choose Co-op gameplay mode when you pick maps for playing. Your friend would then go the Multiplayer tab and click join local to find your game and join.

BF2 ver 1.4 is recommended as the Commander AI is botched past BF2 ver 1.5.

Project Reality has to be launched through it's own .exe.

All the bot supported mods are worth 2 player fun. I highly recommended using AIX 2.0 primarily, it was built with bots in mind and has AI enhancements (among other additions) that really enhance the offline experience. To keep it fun you want to load the right amount of AI for the map you play to populate the map, according to your desired playstyle experience.

Be sure to read the BF2/2142 Frequently Asked Questions Thread Sticky. Lots of helpful info for people new to BF2. Many of your questions would be answered there.

OK, thanks I'll try that.

What I really want is a way to create a number of shortcuts that will launch the server running a mod (e.g. AIX) with x bots and only those maps suitable for that number of bots (+2 human players) and then I can run the client (with the appropriate mod) on both PCs and connect them both to the server. I'm not sure if I can use commandline switches or a server settings file to set the number of bots in this way but if so, it seems I need to at least edit all the mods' AIDefault.ai files to set aiSettings.overrideMenuSettings 0, otherwise it will just take the settings from that. It seems the formula to use for settings the number of bots is

team 1 bot count = coopBotCount * coopBotRatio
team 2 bot count = setMaxNBots - team 1 bot count

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/for...0ratio&st=0

Whilst I'm starting a local MP game from the client though, until I get the dedi server sorted, it says on the FAQ that I should set the botcount, etc in ServerSettings.CON in My Documents/Battlefield2/Profiles/Default folder. Is that correct even if I'm not using the Default profile but 0001?

+Quote Post
HappyK1LLMore
post Jan 31 2013, 09:01 PM
Post #4

Enlisted

Member No.: 9,466

If you want, I can show you how to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95cGop1tbVk
I posted that a few days ago because I was quite frustrated with BF3 cheating in PB servers.

My public ranting (HappyK1LLMore): http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum...625420527225/1/

EDIT : 8-17-2013 It now works with both v1.41 and v1.50

Basically, 150 bots, where 140 of them are on the opposing team.
First get your BF2 install to v1.5
Then install AIX 2.0

Edit 8-17-2013
Install aix2_hotfix_2.0c_serversideonly

You need to change a few more files than you would for normal even balanced or slight out of balance.

0. C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\AIX2\Settings\serversettings.con
1. Change the file attribute "read only" to "un-checked"
This file only uses the sv.coopBotRatio setting.
It doesn't use the other settings for bots.
Change it to something like 40 or 30...
Change sv.numPlayersNeededToStart from 2 to 1 (Thanks doveman, forgot that one.)

After saving it (you need to turn off the "read Only" file attribute first otherwise you will not be able to save your changes)
right click on the file, and change the properties. Check the "Read Only" attribute and apply it.

2. C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\AIX2\AI\AIDefault.ai
This file uses all of these settings:

aiSettings.overrideMenuSettings 1
aiSettings.setMaxNBots 100 <------------- This is what controls the num Bots in gpm_coop maps, set this to up to 255...
aiSettings.maxBotsIncludeHumans 0
aiSettings.setBotSkill 0.8

EDIT 8-17-2013 :
2a. C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\BF2\AI\AIDefault.ai

aiSettings.setMaxNBots 100 <------------- This is what controls the num Bots in gpm_coop maps, set this to up to 255...
aiSettings.setBotSkill 0.8

Save this in your file (use more or less bots, and more or less skill)

You don't need to set the "Read Only" attribute on this file.

3. Now this is the fun part.
Install an unzip utility like winrar and associate it to .zip files

4. C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\AIX2\Levels\
Look for a level that we need to make a few small changes too...

Lets pick aix_wake_island_2007

5. Open the folder aix_wake_island_2007
6. Open the server.zip file by double clicking on it (this works quite well with winrar free version)
7. Inside the .zip file, look for the Init.con file. double click on it and open it with Notepad.exe
8. Make these changes to the file (basically changing the US team to team 1 and the other team to team 2...)
gameLogic.setTeamName 1 "US"
gameLogic.setTeamName 2 "CH"

gameLogic.setTeamLanguage 1 "English"
gameLogic.setTeamLanguage 2 "Chinese"

gameLogic.setTeamFlag 0 "flag_neutral"
gameLogic.setTeamFlag 1 "flag_us"
gameLogic.setTeamFlag 2 "flag_ch"

gameLogic.setKit 2 0 "CH_Specops" "ch_specops_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 1 0 "US_Specops" "us_specops_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 2 1 "CH_Sniper" "ch_sniper_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 1 1 "US_Sniper" "us_sniper_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 2 2 "CH_Assault" "ch_assault_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 1 2 "US_Assault" "us_assault_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 2 3 "CH_Support" "ch_support_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 1 3 "US_Support_saw" "us_support_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 2 4 "CH_Engineer" "ch_engineer_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 1 4 "US_Engineer" "us_engineer_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 2 5 "CH_Medic" "ch_medic_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 1 5 "US_Medic" "us_medic_soldier"

gameLogic.setKit 2 6 "CH_AT" "ch_at_soldier"
gameLogic.setKit 1 6 "US_AT" "us_at_soldier"

9. Close the file and click on "SAVE" on the notepad pop-up.
10. Winrar will detect a change and ask you if you want to update the archive... Click on "Yes"

11. While still inside the zip file, browse to the folder: gamemodes\gpm_coop\64\
12. Open the GamePlayObjects.con (double click on it and use notepad.exe to modify it)
13. Click "Edit" in the menu --> Replace
14. In the "Find what:" box type "ObjectTemplate.team 1"
15. In the "Replace with:" box type "ObjectTemplate.team 3"
16. Click "Replace All" button
17. Click "Edit" in the menu --> Replace
18. In the "Find what:" box type "ObjectTemplate.team 2"
19. In the "Replace with:" box type "ObjectTemplate.team 1"
20. Click "Replace All" button
17. Click "Edit" in the menu --> Replace
18. In the "Find what:" box type "ObjectTemplate.team 3"
19. In the "Replace with:" box type "ObjectTemplate.team 2"
20. Click "Replace All" button

if you want...
change all the vehicle teams in the file by swapping the "ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate 1" just like above (steps 13 - 20)

21. Save/Close the file
22. Click "yes" to the winrar message to update the archive.

23. Close the server.zip from winrar... Copy this file to your buddys' computer(s) "the exact folder location as yours"
(in my case : C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\AIX2\Levels\aix_wake_island_2007\server.zip")

24. C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\AIX2\Settings\

25. edit the maplist.con file with notepad.exe

26. put this as the first line:
maplist.append "aix_wake_island_2007" "gpm_coop" 64

27. Save/Close the file

28. C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\

29. Create a runserver.bat file in this folder (basically a text file with the extension .bat)

Put this in the .bat file:

bf2_w32ded.exe +ai 1 +modPath mods/AIX2 +maplist

30. Save the file and create a shortcut to say... your desktop... or a folder somewhere.
--------------------------------------------------------
31. Double-Click the .bat file shortcut to launch the server console
32. Now run your AIX Shortcut icon and join your "Multiplayer" --> "Local Server"
33. Have your friends join up as well.

Enjoy overwhelming bots on the other team.
I've had as many as 8 friends join this type of bot LAN game. Lots of fun. Especially when you start modifing the Objects_server.zip in the root mod folder.

This post has been edited by HappyK1LLMore: Aug 17 2013, 05:30 PM

+Quote Post
doveman
post Jan 31 2013, 10:40 PM
Post #5

Enlisted

Hey HappyK1LLMore, thanks for the in-depth instructions bigthumb.gif

So is aiSettings.setMaxNBots in the mod's AIDefault.ai used instead of sv.coopBotCount in Profiles/Default/serversettings.con or even the mod's own Settings/serversettings.con?

Why do we need to edit the levels files like that? It's obviously a major pain to do that for every level in every mod.

I've been trying to test just by starting a local co-op game from the menus but ran into a problem that it wouldn't let me start until another player connected, making it a bit hard to test on my own! I edited Profiles/Default/Serversettings.con to change sv.numPlayersNeededToStart from 2 to 1 but still had the same problem and on checking saw it had reverted to 2 (as had some other settings I changed). Then I found that AIX has it's Settings/Seversettings.con with it set to 2 and I'm guessing that overwrites the Default/serversettings.con when launching with that mod, so I guess I need to go through and edit that file for each mod I've installed.

+Quote Post
HappyK1LLMore
post Feb 1 2013, 09:12 AM
Post #6

Enlisted

QUOTE (doveman @ Jan 31 2013, 11:40 PM) *

So is aiSettings.setMaxNBots in the mod's AIDefault.ai used instead of sv.coopBotCount in Profiles/Default/serversettings.con or even the mod's own Settings/serversettings.con?

Why do we need to edit the levels files like that? It's obviously a major pain to do that for every level in every mod.

I've been trying to test just by starting a local co-op game from the menus but ran into a problem that it wouldn't let me start until another player connected, making it a bit hard to test on my own! I edited Profiles/Default/Serversettings.con to change sv.numPlayersNeededToStart from 2 to 1 but still had the same problem and on checking saw it had reverted to 2 (as had some other settings I changed). Then I found that AIX has it's Settings/Seversettings.con with it set to 2 and I'm guessing that overwrites the Default/serversettings.con when launching with that mod, so I guess I need to go through and edit that file for each mod I've installed.

I just took a look at my Profiles/Default/Serversettings.con and it's set to 1. Plus the "Read Only" attribute isn't checked on that file so that shouldn't be the issue. It IS an issue with the AIX/Settings/Serversettings.con (and all other mods for that matter)

After you edit the AIX/Settings/Serversettings.con you HAVE to set the file attribute to "Read Only"... !!! Otherwise the exe will overwrite it back.

When you add bots (i think) past 64, the system starts throwing them to team 2 (the US side) normally. What you are doing is getting around the bug built into the exe. Your swapping the teams in the menu and the exe throws all the bots to team opposing team (still Team 2, but now specified as "CH" instead of "US" ). Notice how when you first join the game, the teams look a little screwed up, then everything switches around in the menu.

I make a few changes to my original post on steps 0 - 1...

This post has been edited by HappyK1LLMore: Feb 1 2013, 12:21 PM

+Quote Post
doveman
post Feb 1 2013, 09:53 AM
Post #7

Enlisted

QUOTE (HappyK1LLMore @ Feb 1 2013, 03:12 PM) *
QUOTE (doveman @ Jan 31 2013, 11:40 PM) *

I just took a look at my Profiles/Default/Serversettings.con and it's set to 1. Plus the "Read Only" attribute isn't checked on that file so that shouldn't be the issue. It IS an issue with the AIX/Settings/Serversettings.con (and all other mods for that matter)

After you edit the AIX/Settings/Serversettings.con you HAVE to set the file attribute to "Read Only"... !!! Otherwise the exe will overwrite it back.

When you add bots (i think) past 96, the system starts throwing them to team 2 (the US side) normally. What you are doing is getting around the bug built into the exe. Your swapping the teams in the menu and the exe throws all the bots to team opposing team (still Team 2, but now specified as "CH" instead of "US" ). Notice how when you first join the game, the teams look a little screwed up, then everything switches around in the menu.

I make a few changes to my original post on steps 0 - 1...

OK, I'll have a play around with the various serversettings.con file to work out what's going on.

So are you saying that if I only want to use 64 bots I don't need to edit the levels?

I'm still a bit confused because you start your post talking about 140-150 bots but then use "aiSettings.setMaxNBots 96" and "maplist.append "aix_wake_island_2007" "gpm_coop" 64" so where does it get 140 from?

What does the 64 at the end of "maplist.append "aix_wake_island_2007" "gpm_coop" 64" do? If it controls the max number of players, including bots, then do I need to make several maplist.con files, one with a list of map lines ending in 16 (for max 16 players), one with them ending in 32 and one ending in 64 and name them maplist.con16, maplist.con32, maplist.con64 and copy the one I want to use to maplist.con, depending on whether I want a small skirmish or a large one?

I also still don't know if aiSettings.setMaxNBots in the mod's AIDefault.ai is used instead of sv.coopBotCount in either Profiles/Default/serversettings.con or the mod's own Settings/serversettings.con?EDIT: I'm also looking at BF2 Server Launcher, which seems handy for adjusting the settings and maplist to create an initial couple of files, even if they need a bit of tweaking afterwards. I've currently got it installed in a separate folder "BF2 Server" which contains bf2_w32ded.exe, a mods sub-folder and a few others. Now I can install the server files in this mods sub-folder as that's sufficient to run the server but then it doesn't have access to all the maps I've installed in the client (after installing AIX2 server files I have 174MB of levels, whereas my client has 5.10GB as I've installed all the mappacks and TNG maps!) so I'm wondering a) whether I need a separate folder for BF2 Server and Server Launcher or if I can just move BF2 Server Launcher.exe to my BF2 client folder and run it from there, where it will have access to all the mod client files and levels or cool.gif if it needs to be in a separate folder, whether I can just symlink the BF2 client\mods folder to the BF2 Server\mods folder, which will let the Server see and access all the files and do away with the need to use the mod's server files at all?

This post has been edited by doveman: Feb 1 2013, 10:09 AM

+Quote Post
HappyK1LLMore
post Feb 1 2013, 10:15 AM
Post #8

Enlisted

2. C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\AIX2\AI\AIDefault.ai

aiSettings.setMaxNBots 96 <------------- This is what controls the num Bots in gpm_coop maps, set this to up to 255...
aiSettings.setBotSkill 0.7

DONT USE BF2SPCC. It screws stuff up. Follow my method and you will be fine.
My method is for games with MORE than 64 bots. If you want less (like 64), use BF2SPCC.

I do this with my friends because we also like to heavily modify the Objects_server.zip in the root mod folder.

We give our team better armor and nice clip sizes, We mod the vehicle's armor on our team, etc...
Hell, I've made the shot gun shoot a spray of tank shells. The grenade launcher fire 20k lb bombs (they bounce LOL)

Due to the other team being overwhelming in numbers, we counter with tech and superior firepower.

As for the "64" in the map_list append, that refers to the gpm_coop "folder" inside the server.zip of the map your running.
Look at step 11... that is the map size being referred to in the map_list append. That is where we made our changes.
It has nothing to do with the number of bots.

+Quote Post
doveman
post Feb 1 2013, 10:20 AM
Post #9

Enlisted

I also notice the .con file created by BF2 Server Launcher has the maplist at the end of it, rather than in a separate maplist.con, like so:
--
config.SetCurrentMod hardjustice

MapList.append remagen_bridge gpm_coop
MapList.append operation_clean_sweep gpm_coop
MapList.append omaha_beach_2008 gpm_coop
--
so I wonder if this can be used to simplify the commandline from "bf2_w32ded.exe +ai 1 +modPath mods/AIX2 +maplist". I'm not sure however exactly what commandline it uses when I click Start but I guess it must be something along the lines of "bf2_w32ded.exe HardJustice.con" where HardJustice.con is the file created and stored in My Documents\Battlefield 2\ServerConfigs\ by BF2 Server Launcher. It might be simpler to just use Start from the Launcher though. Of course, both methods depend on whether the two .con files in \mods\aix2\settings\ will overrule any AIX.con created by the Launcher, although perhaps just deleting those two files for each mod will allow us to use the Launcher instead?

+Quote Post
HappyK1LLMore
post Feb 1 2013, 10:28 AM
Post #10

Enlisted

QUOTE (doveman @ Feb 1 2013, 11:20 AM) *
I also notice the .con file created by BF2 Server Launcher has the maplist at the end of it, rather than in a separate maplist.con, like so:
--
config.SetCurrentMod hardjustice

MapList.append remagen_bridge gpm_coop
MapList.append operation_clean_sweep gpm_coop
MapList.append omaha_beach_2008 gpm_coop
--
so I wonder if this can be used to simplify the commandline from "bf2_w32ded.exe +ai 1 +modPath mods/AIX2 +maplist". I'm not sure however exactly what commandline it uses when I click Start but I guess it must be something along the lines of "bf2_w32ded.exe HardJustice.con" where HardJustice.con is the file created and stored in My Documents\Battlefield 2\ServerConfigs\ by BF2 Server Launcher. It might be simpler to just use Start from the Launcher though. Of course, both methods depend on whether the two .con files in \mods\aix2\settings\ will overrule any AIX.con created by the Launcher, although perhaps just deleting those two files for each mod will allow us to use the Launcher instead?

BFServerLauncher.exe is ok as long as your using it to setup your maplist... (if you're using >64 bots and my method)
Just be sure to pick gpm_coop and pick your modded maps...
One problem though, it doesn't pick the map size !!! It will default to the lowest size (I think)..
If you modded a mapsize but others exist, you may get all the bots on your team...

You would want to modify the maplist.con and specify the modded map size i.e.
maplist.append "aix_wake_island_2007" "gpm_coop" 64
or
maplist.append "iwo_jima" "gpm_coop" 16
maplist.append "Zatar_Wetlands_II" "gpm_coop" 32

This post has been edited by HappyK1LLMore: Feb 1 2013, 10:31 AM

+Quote Post
HappyK1LLMore
post Feb 1 2013, 10:32 AM
Post #11

Enlisted

Have you tried getting 150 (or 96 or more) on your game yet? All or most on the other team?

Let me know if that worked for you, or if I missed a few steps in my instructions.

+Quote Post
doveman
post Feb 1 2013, 10:37 AM
Post #12

Enlisted

Sorry, crossposted with you.

So OK, aiSettings.setMaxNBots is the setting to use but assuming I want to sometimes play small 16 player/bot skirmishes and other times larger battles, is the only way to edit this line each time before launching?

Yeah, I was just having another look at BF2SPCC and that seems totally unsuited to setting up a dedi server with bots and even for SP, the custom maplist setup in that is horrible. BF2 Server Launcher looks like it might be useful though.

I also notice that the list of maps created in the HardJustice.con created by BF2 Server Launcher doesn't have a number at the end (the maplist page doesn't even show the mapsize or allow filtering by it but the Settings page has a MaxPlayers setting, which it says determines which configuration of maps is used and is entered in the .con as sv.maxPlayers 64) . I can see how it would be important to specify if we've made changes as you've described, so that it uses those settings we've modified in gamemodes\gpm_coop\64\ but if using the unmodified files, what difference does it make whether 16, 32 or 64 is specified?

+Quote Post
doveman
post Feb 1 2013, 10:39 AM
Post #13

Enlisted

QUOTE (HappyK1LLMore @ Feb 1 2013, 04:32 PM) *
Have you tried getting 150 (or 96 or more) on your game yet? All or most on the other team?

Let me know if that worked for you, or if I missed a few steps in my instructions.

Not tried yet. I will do but what to get the basic unmodded game working first and nail down the easiest way to start the server and switch modes/map sizes.

+Quote Post
HappyK1LLMore
post Feb 1 2013, 10:41 AM
Post #14

Enlisted

QUOTE (doveman @ Feb 1 2013, 11:37 AM) *
Sorry, crossposted with you.

So OK, aiSettings.setMaxNBots is the setting to use but assuming I want to sometimes play small 16 player/bot skirmishes and other times larger battles, is the only way to edit this line each time before launching?

Yeah, I was just having another look at BF2SPCC and that seems totally unsuited to setting up a dedi server with bots and even for SP, the custom maplist setup in that is horrible. BF2 Server Launcher looks like it might be useful though.

I also notice that the list of maps created in the HardJustice.con created by BF2 Server Launcher doesn't have a number at the end (the maplist page doesn't even show the mapsize or allow filtering by it but the Settings page has a MaxPlayers setting, which it says determines which configuration of maps is used and is entered in the .con as sv.maxPlayers 64) . I can see how it would be important to specify if we've made changes as you've described, so that it uses those settings we've modified in gamemodes\gpm_coop\64\ but if using the unmodified files, what difference does it make whether 16, 32 or 64 is specified?

Interesting question.
Let me play with it for a few minutes. I usually don't play with less than 96 bots because I heavily mod the Objects_server.zip to be in favor of the US team. We are greatly overpowering unless there are alot of bots on the opposing team.

EDIT: Ok, I just made a single change to my AIDefault.ai and set the numb of bots to 16. I started up my modded Wake Island 64 map and all the bots showed up on the Team 1 side (US Team). With the exception of a few on the CH side. My mod only works if you are trying to setup an UNBALANCED ratio with more than 64 bots.

I would presume that if I loaded an unmodded map, all of the bots would still show up on team 1 (but CH side because it's unmodded)

Edit 2: I just tested with 65 bots, That was the breaking point at which swapped the sides inside the exe. Most of the bots went to team "CH" on my modded map. So if you go less than 64 bots, you will want to pick an un modded map.

Edit 3: Verified. I changed my number of bots back to 16 and loaded an UN-Modded map. The bots mostly went to the opposing team as they should have.
Edit 4: Verified. I changed my number of bots to 65 and loaded the same UN-Modded map. I was switched to the Mec team, the US team had most of the bots.

This post has been edited by HappyK1LLMore: Feb 1 2013, 11:03 AM

+Quote Post
doveman
post Feb 1 2013, 11:16 AM
Post #15

Enlisted

QUOTE (HappyK1LLMore @ Feb 1 2013, 04:41 PM) *
EDIT: Ok, I just made a single change to my AIDefault.ai and set the numb of bots to 16. I started up my modded Wake Island 64 map and all the bots showed up on the Team 1 side (US Team). With the exception of a few on the CH side. My mod only works if you are trying to setup an UNBALANCED ratio with more than 64 bots.

I would presume that if I loaded an unmodded map, all of the bots would still show up on team 1 (but CH side because it's unmodded)

Edit 2: I just tested with 65 bots, That was the breaking point at which swapped the sides inside the exe. Most of the bots went to team "CH" on my modded map. So if you go less than 64 bots, you will want to pick an un modded map.

Edit 3: Verified. I changed my number of bots back to 16 and loaded an UN-Modded map. The bots mostly went to the opposing team as they should have.
Edit 4: Verified. I changed my number of bots to 65 and loaded the same UN-Modded map. I was switched to the Mec team, the US team had most of the bots.

Thanks for testing. It seems strange that most of the bots went to one side on the UN-Modded maps though. I thought the following settings in serversettings.con (in mods\AIX2\settings if running that mod) controlled the balance:

sv.setTeamRatio 100
sv.setAutoBalanceTeam 1
sv.setCoopBotRatio 51
sv.setCoopBotCount 63

although as you've told me, the last setting isn't used and aiSettings.setMaxNBots is instead.

One thing in BF2 Server Launcher's created .con that might be an issue is the sv.maxPlayers 64 if that actually restricts the total number of players, including bots and doesn't just determine the map config that's used. If so, I presume it's different from the 64 in "maplist.append "Zatar_Wetlands_II" "gpm_cq" 64" if that ONLY determines the map config, in which case when using your modded maps with more than 64 players, we'd have to use maplist.con, rather than list the maps in serversettings.con and use sv.maxPlayers to specify the map config.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th November 2017 - 05:40 AM