IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Black Spots in map, All mods, all maps. Fixes and suggestions.
InSovietRussia
post Oct 16 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #1

Major

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 7,542

Ever since I reinstalled BF2, I have had this issue. Black spots are all over the map and randomly flash around.

I run 1920x1080 with all settings to HIGH, and 8x AA. Windows 7 x64.

I tried deleting and regenerating my shader cache, with no sucess.

Anyone else have this issue?

This post has been edited by MasterChiefRulZ: Dec 26 2013, 10:13 AM
Reason for edit: Changed topic to reflect "fix"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
anifan97203
post Oct 16 2011, 05:10 PM
Post #2

Anifan97203
Group Icon

Group: BFSP Team
Member No.: 4,861

I had this once. Honestly, I don't remember what I did to fix it. But, I'll check through my old files and see if I left myself some kind of tweak notes on it. I usually do that.

--------------------

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

+Quote Post
Bubbles
post Oct 16 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #3

General

Member No.: 1,539

I don't have a new high system, but I do know that if I used the latest video driver's it would cause issues with flashing black spots. I was forced to go back a few versions to solve the issue.

+Quote Post
InSovietRussia
post Oct 17 2011, 09:20 PM
Post #4

Major

Can you tell me where to find the older video drivers for the ATI HD4890?

I'm in the middle of a lot of things BF2-wise and really need it to function properly. On my old install of Win7 x64 it worked fine. I was running older drivers back then, I'm pretty sure.

I have the latest on this reformat.

Also, the black spots only happen when running on 1920x1080, my monitor's native resolution.

This post has been edited by InSovietRussia: Oct 17 2011, 09:20 PM

+Quote Post
Kanuc
post Oct 18 2011, 04:57 AM
Post #5

Major

Member No.: 7,308

Try here for older drivers. Had to do the same too mine.(hxxp://www.tweakforce.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=22) (replace xx with tt)

+Quote Post
Bubbles
post Oct 18 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #6

General

Also can you not select an option at the bottom of the normal drivers selection page:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pag...on_win7-64.aspx

click on Previous Drivers

+Quote Post
Bubbles
post Oct 21 2011, 12:06 AM
Post #7

General

InSovietRussia, did you resolve the issues with the black spots?

+Quote Post
ShellShocked
post Oct 23 2011, 10:13 AM
Post #8

Graduate, US Army School of Hard Knocks

Member No.: 4,399

I am also interested in the results... was it the drivers? or the 1920x1080 resolution? or still undefined?

I ask about the resolution because 1920x1080 is not a standard computer monitor resolution - it is really an "entertainment" resolution defined as Full HD. That resolution falls between two defined computer monitor standards: UXGA 1600x1200 at 4:3 and WUXGA at 1920x1200 at 16:10; the result of which can be spotty performance and or other display issues. If you can run at the non-native resolution of 1400x1050 at 4:3 (SXGA+ standard) without the black spots, that might give you some more information for troubleshooting.

Good luck.

--------------------
ShellShocked aka SonicPixel

+Quote Post
StriFe
post Oct 23 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #9

Captain

Member No.: 7,602

I use 1920*1080 aswell and I don't have any black spots and I'm on a Radeon 5770 with Catalyst 11.9 even with the 11.10 Preview 2 Drivers it works like it should smile.gif Though I'm back @ 11.9 cause the Preview 2 drivers have a bug with some games. When u run the game my monitor says 1920*1080 @ 60 Optimum Mode. While it is set at that lol.

+Quote Post
InSovietRussia
post Oct 23 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #10

Major

I resolved the issue by reverting to the old drivers, then deleting and regenerating my shader cache (/Documents/Battlefield 2/cache). Thanks for the link. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by InSovietRussia: Oct 23 2011, 07:03 PM

+Quote Post
jwh7
post Feb 9 2012, 08:18 PM
Post #11

Private

Member No.: 8,938

I came across this recently on my HD 4850; I hadn't played BF2 since April 2011...right before the broken driver was released. Well, more likely, the driver that exposed a shader bug in BF2. Anyway, in researching a resolution to this, I wanted to avoid setting Terrain quality to low or using Catalyst 11.3; but I came across the fix that Forgotten Hope 2 (FH2) made for it, which possibly came from a fix EA made for the same issue in BF2142, but wouldn't fix for BF2.
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5714007.page

So I installed FH2, and started comparing its shader files to the base install, and found several other fixes/improvement. I then came up with a 'shader pack,' if you will, that not only fixes the issue, but also makes the base game looks noticeably better (see pics below). I added the file as an attachment; see the bottom of this post. Of course, it will break online play (probably not LAN play, if setup w/o PunkBuster), but I normally only play singleplayer (or LAN), which is this site's focus, so here I am.

Note, for those wanting online play, you should be able to use the FH2 mod; hopefully there are servers active for it. Also, Project Reality is supposed to have a similar fix in their upcoming v1.0 release. Not sure if other mods have fixed it though...none of the others I use have (AIX2, PoE2, DCX).

Here's an AMD forum on the topic:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...threadid=151755

Pics of the original low vs high Terrain settings, and the FH2-modded high setting:

bf2_hiTerrain_orig1 (click here for full size)

bf2_hiTerrain_orig2 (click here for full size)

bf2_hiTerrain_orig3 (click here for full size)

bf2_loTerrain_orig (click here for full size)

bf2_hiTerrain_fh2mod (click here for full size)

Here is a summary of the shader file compares I did; backup your original .zip if you try this! Note that I first tried just copying the {BF2 install path}\mods\fh2\Shader_client.zip in place of ...\mods\bf2\Shader_client.zip; this worked fine until I tried the guided-missile gunner view in the helicopter. This is what prompted the file compares actually. Anyway, * indicates the first pack I tested, ** was the second and final. [All credits to the FH2/etc developers who made the original change(s)]
CODE
Files with newer dates than most others in the FH2 .zip:
**BundledMesh.fx        CLAMP to WRAP change in 'sampler*' and 'sampler*point'
   datatypes.fx            no change
   FSQuadDrawer.fx        no change
   Lightning.fx            no change
   PostProduction_nv3x.fx    comments added & changes to TINNITUS (FH2 suppression effect, besides explosion shock)
   PostProduction_nv3x_ALT.fx    change to PS2FB_Combine ps_TVEffect20(VS2PS_Quad3 indata)
   Rain.fx            no change
* RaShaderSTM.fx        bugfix by [FH]Remdul: skyNormal effect improvement
   SkinnedMesh.fx        no change
* SkyDome.fx            changes to vsSkyDome, vsSkyDomeNoClouds, vsSkyDomeDualClouds
**StaticMesh.fx            removed all 'MipMapLodBias = 0'
* TerrainShader_Hi.fx        remove offset of vScaleTransY.zw from wPos.yw; fixes 'dancing black spots/blotches'
* Undergrowth.fx        various changes, including to CullMode & AlphaRef
Other file differences:
   Font.fx            uses FH2MenuHackery.fx in "f[]kupColoursVS" function
   PostProduction_r3x0.fx    adjust RGB and add vs/ps "FLASHBANG" sections
* RaCommon.fx            change FH2_HARDCODED_PARALLAX_BIAS 0.0025 to 0.005
* RaShaderBM.fx            Diffusion fix for barbwire
* RaShaderBMCommon.fx        Change AddressU & AddressV from CLAMP to WRAP
* RaShaderLeaf.fx        Change in OVERGROWTH for Leaf Movement (?)
**StaticMesh_dx9.dfx        Change height in calculateParallaxCoordinatesFromAlpha
   SwiffMenu.fx            uses FH2MenuHackery.fx in "f[]kupColoursVS" function

Note: the attached 'shaders_client.zip' is to replace the original in the 'bf2' mod folder; rename your original to 'shaders_client-bf2.zip first, if you want to try this. For LAN games, all clients must have this; hence the '_client' in the zip name. smile.gif This method applies the fix to the base game, xpacks, and all mods (unless a mod further changes the shader files in their own shaders_client.zip; see next post).

This post has been edited by jwh7: Oct 15 2012, 05:30 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  shaders_client.zip ( 213.76K ) Number of downloads: 550

+Quote Post
jwh7
post May 18 2012, 07:22 AM
Post #12

Private

I forgot to mention, here's a mini-pack of the FH2 files (for the black spots fix, and other improvements) that can be used in mods, so that the base bf2 can be left alone for online play, without Punkbuster complaining. So this is particularly for singleplayer/LAN games. If the mod in question already has a shader_client.zip, then the files would have to be merged; or at least TerrainShader_Hi.fx, which has the specific fix for the black spots (see below). Again, all credit, and thanks, to the Forgotten Hope 2 devs!

NOTE: the attached 'shaders_client-fix.zip' needs renamed to 'shaders_client.zip' to be active in the mod.

QUOTE (jwh7 @ Feb 9 2012, 10:18 PM) *
Here is a summary of the shader file compares I did; backup your original .zip if you try this! Note that I first tried just copying the {BF2 install path}\mods\fh2\Shader_client.zip in place of ...\mods\bf2\Shader_client.zip; this worked fine until I tried the guided-missile gunner view in the helicopter. This is what prompted the file compares actually. Anyway, * indicates the first pack I tested, ** was the second and final. [All credits to the FH2/etc developers who made the original change(s)]
CODE
Files with newer dates than most others in the FH2 .zip:
**BundledMesh.fx        CLAMP to WRAP change in 'sampler*' and 'sampler*point'
* RaShaderSTM.fx        bugfix by [FH]Remdul: skyNormal effect improvement
* SkyDome.fx            changes to vsSkyDome, vsSkyDomeNoClouds, vsSkyDomeDualClouds
**StaticMesh.fx            removed all 'MipMapLodBias = 0'
* TerrainShader_Hi.fx        remove offset of vScaleTransY.zw from wPos.yw; fixes 'dancing black spots/blotches'
* Undergrowth.fx        various changes, including to CullMode & AlphaRef
* RaCommon.fx            change FH2_HARDCODED_PARALLAX_BIAS 0.0025 to 0.005
* RaShaderBM.fx            Diffusion fix for barbwire
* RaShaderBMCommon.fx        Change AddressU & AddressV from CLAMP to WRAP
* RaShaderLeaf.fx        Change in OVERGROWTH for Leaf Movement (?)
**StaticMesh_dx9.dfx        Change height in calculateParallaxCoordinatesFromAlpha

NOTE: the attached 'shaders_client-fix.zip' needs renamed to 'shaders_client.zip' to be active in the mod.

This post has been edited by jwh7: May 18 2012, 07:26 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  shaders_client_fix.zip ( 37.87K ) Number of downloads: 416

+Quote Post
BitMaster
post Aug 3 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #13

Enlisted

Member No.: 9,209

You are the man! Tnx alot! biggrin.gif

I used the shaders to fix the black polygon issues under Wine (with Nvidia graphics).

+Quote Post
jwh7
post Aug 12 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #14

Private

QUOTE (BitMaster @ Aug 3 2012, 06:58 PM) *
I used the shaders to fix the black polygon issues under Wine (with Nvidia graphics).

You're welcome. smile.gif That's interesting; I'd heard of Nvidia cards having this issue, but a driver change fixing it. What card are you using? And which linux drivers?

+Quote Post
hippox89
post Dec 24 2013, 05:38 AM
Post #15

Enlisted

Member No.: 9,930

Hi.

Thanks for the for pointing out this fix!

I found other ''fixes'' elsewhere on the net but they didn't help me. This seem to work perfectly. It seems to me that many others don't know about this particular fix because that was me impression when browsing for a solution to it. Revert to older drivers or set terrain to low. That seems to be the most common fixes for this issue.

EA should feel ashamed for not fixing this, but EA is a soulless thing.

This post has been edited by hippox89: Dec 24 2013, 05:39 AM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2017 - 04:25 PM