IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Battlefield Heroes'2, First Person BFheroes now comes to Battlefield 2!
Apache Thunder
post Apr 6 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #1

Interdimensional Spy

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 3,722

Battlefield Heroes can now be played in the glory that is Battlefield 2 and yes all the maps have singleplayer! biggrin.gif

I started this mod sometime late 2010/early 2011 and things started to take off once I figured out how to navmesh the maps and make proper aimeshes for statics. The mod has come a long way since a few months back and with the help of Void, it now has all the vehicles working too. biggrin.gif

All videos pertaining to this mod can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8FCDB282823902A4

That is my youtube channel for this mod in particular.

Feature list of the BF2 version of this mod:

1. Most maps look identicle to BFheroes due to the engines being similar. The lighting in perticular as the BF1942 can never be made to look exactly like BFHeroes had things looking.

2. Ports over most of the maps. Only maps really missing from this are a few winter maps. the snow fx (aka weather) doesn't seem to work well in BF2 at all and BFHeroes/BF2142 weather system does not function in BF2. So I did not bother to port over any more winter maps.

3. Riverside Nights now has the enhanced lightmaps I made for the BF1942 version of the map but the lightsources now have the correct color. BF1942 had a limitation in how things were lit and all light sources can only have a single color gradient in BF1942 where as BF2 does it via coding somewhat and allows more flexibility.

4. Full singleplayer support in all maps.

5. No significant HUD changes yet.

6. None of the handweapons have been ported yet.

7. Has custom menu background, loading screen backgrounds, and of coarse the BFheroes theme music and such.

8. Has a few mario kart maps and my first custom BF2 vehicle, the toad kart from Mario Kart Double Dash. I may split this off into a separate mod in the future.

9. The Mario kart maps will not have bots and never will for obvious reasons. (Unless you found how to make bots race instead of kill each other. tongue.gif )

10. Koopa shell projectile has not been finalized or enabled for use in the mod as I could not get it to behave correctly in BF2. (in BF1942, it bounced around correctly and didn't slow down too much, but BF2's damage system causes the shell to slow down when it encounters differen't materials and it stalls in most places making it useless. Due to how BF2 does the damage system, friction settings can't be changed in relation to this as it would effect friction of other objects as well. BF1942 didn't really have this problem.)

I have not really kept track of all the stuff I added to this mod yet. It doesn't have an installer at the moment and no readme file yet. At some point I do plan to add these.

v2.0 Beta:

bfheroesBF2_v2b.rar

Be sure to uninstall any previous versions due to changes to how objects archive is mounted.

This post has been edited by Apache Thunder: Apr 22 2015, 01:47 PM

--------------------

I have cameras in your head!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
kidersx
post Apr 9 2011, 12:39 AM
Post #2

Enlisted

Member No.: 7,955

Cool.

+Quote Post
Michael Z Freema...
post Apr 9 2011, 03:01 AM
Post #3

Previously Xenephone
Group Icon

Group: BFSP Team
Member No.: 4,215

BFH isn't really my thing but that is an amazing conversion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rukqoa
post Apr 12 2011, 01:25 AM
Post #4

Private

Member No.: 7,964

I had to register to this forums to say this: WOW! Though it's not as "finished" as the 42 version, it's one of the best made conversion mods out there. I've seen people try to mod BF2 into 42, or BF2 into CoD4...etc, but nothing comes close to this.

I take it that you just extracted the assets from BFH right? Amazing work. And I look forward to future releases!

Oh and, if you ever need help with tweaking weapon damage values to mirror that of BFH, I can do that. smile.gif

This post has been edited by rukqoa: Apr 12 2011, 02:15 AM

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Apr 12 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #5

Interdimensional Spy

Thanks! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rukqoa @ Apr 12 2011, 02:25 AM) *
I take it that you just extracted the assets from BFH right? Amazing work. And I look forward to future releases!

While a lot of the stuff from BFH was compatible with BF2 without much modification (except the vehicles), a few things like maps in particular needed modifications done to them (mainly coding) to make them work.

I had to completely rebuild the Royal Tank as it had a flaw in one of it's collision meshes that would result in the tank's hull touching the ground (from a collision point of view) and would receive damage from simply driving around and would take excessive damage from small collisions with hills and stuff. I received some help from Void to make the vehicles useable. (Mainly the planes) I've done a few tweaks to them since then and have added the BFH crosshairs to them. So I had to import the tank into 3DS Max along with the collision meshes, and then redo the hierarchy prior to export. This also resulted in having to modify the con/tweak files so that the geometry/collision parts are set up correctly since the new exported tank had a slightly different part order. Had that not been fixed, then for example, the wheels would be using tank turret as the visible geometry instead of the wheels and so on. tongue.gif

That and the Singleplayer was no walk in the park either. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rukqoa @ Apr 12 2011, 02:25 AM) *
Oh and, if you ever need help with tweaking weapon damage values to mirror that of BFH, I can do that. smile.gif

Sure. Adjust the damage system and send me the files and I can test them out and see if they will be suitable for the mod. I have only tweaked certain stuff like tank projectiles, RPGs, and Grenades mainly to reduce the one hit kills and such. Just don't nerf everything too much and it should work out. wink.gif

Perhaps you could also check into why the damage indicator for the tanks/planes/AA isn't working? I set up the damage indicator crosshair icon in the same way it's done for vanilla vehicles, yet it does not work. The game doesn't complain about missing textures or anything so it's able to load the textures for them. In real BFH, when you shoot something with a Tank/Plane/Stationary AA, a highlight appears around your crosshair that indicates you hit the target. But this does not occur in BF2 for some odd reason. sad.gif

EDIT:

Working on porting over the Easter Egg widgets. Here's how it looks so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81SZLklEpzE

This post has been edited by Apache Thunder: Apr 12 2011, 02:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
rukqoa
post Apr 12 2011, 04:27 PM
Post #6

Private

Working on weapons.

I dunno why it's not showing up and I don't have the tools to test right now. But maybe is it because you set the hit indicator image in HudElementsBFHVehicles.con to ".tga" files while you have them in ".dds" in Menu_client\HUD\Texture\Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\Crosshair?

Edit: Alright. I've been testing the weapons and it looks like I've gotten a hang of how balance is going to work. I lowered the damage dramatically to match the style of BFH (gotta decrease knife dmg), made it so that deviation is a constant like in BFH (no decrease/increase accuracy in different positions, moving, or jumping), removed recoil, added tracers for every bullet (so you can see the firefight in night maps), and made a few changes to ammo/mag size/RoF/bullet speed...etc. Once I finish with at least the base weapons for each class, I'll upload the files.

Also, I've discovered an undocumented feature. You changed the M203 grenade launcher stats to be the M16 stats. So, every time the nade launcher fires, it fires an M16 round. I changed it in the US kit folder.

This post has been edited by rukqoa: Apr 12 2011, 06:08 PM

+Quote Post
rukqoa
post Apr 12 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #7

Private

Alright. So far I've balanced it thus:

There are 5 types of weapons: LMG, AR, SMG, Shotgun, and Sniper Rifle. Plus pistols, knifes...etc that I haven't balanced yet.
LMGs (ex: M249 SAW) are for short to medium range. Medium damage, low accuracy, medium rate of fire, but lots of ammo.
ARs (ex: M16A2) are for medium to long range. High damage, high accuracy, low rate of fire, less ammo.
SMGs (ex: MP5. I've also included the M4 carbine in this category) are for short range. Low damage, low accuracy, high rate of fire, enough ammo.
Shotguns are for very short range. Low damage except at close range where they have insane damage, low accuracy, low rate of fire, low ammo.
Sniper rifles (ex: M24) are for very long range. Very high damage, very high accuracy, very low rate of fire.

I've adjusted the rate of fire for most of these weapons, but they still use their original sound, which is why some of them fire slow and sound like they're firing really fast. I will adjust the weapon sounds later.

These 5 categories of base weapons are all modified. The ones on the Chinese side match the ones on the American side, except the sniper rifle. The Chinese sniper rifle has more bullet drop, fires faster, and has lower damage than the bolt action American sniper rifle.

The weapons I've balanced thus far have lower damage in general than BF2 but still slightly higher than BFH. The pistols are not yet balanced to this system, and they use BF2 damage. I have not looked at the knives and gadgets yet.

Download my progress here: http://www.mediafire.com/?bk2wcu2ppp67kpq

It's recommended to play with 8v8 (16 bots) on some smaller maps. You'll see why.

Feedback on other elements of the game:
It seems like tanks need bigger splash radius.
Still waiting on weapons skins/sounds smile.gif
Still waiting on soldiers skins
The plane controls are kind of sluggish even compared to BFH. Dunno if you modified drag or something.

Other than that, AWESOME WORK!

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Apr 13 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #8

Interdimensional Spy

Can you list off the files you changed? I am going to merge your files to my mod and I have changed things in my mod now and differs from what you downloaded. (mainly the addition of the Easter Egg widgets)

I don't think there will be any conflicts other then the kits as I have added the Easter Eggs to the kits and may have to redo that if I override all the files with yours. tongue.gif

EDIT: Ok, I copied over just the handweapons folder (as I have not done anything to the handweapons since the last build yet) and so far I like the tracers. But the knife/LMG is nerfed a bit too much. There has to be a balance between BFH values and BF2's or it will be difficult to get any kills in SinglePlayer. Namely the bots them selves will start to have trouble. I have noticed they are having issues getting knife kills. Perhaps tone it up to two shot kills with the knifes. The bots tend to bundle up in large groups trying to knife a single soldier. It's not pretty to say the least. tongue.gif

Sure I can limit the amount of bots I play with, but not everyone who plays mod mod knows how to do that or they may simply would want to play with more bots then standard. I currently play the mod with 16v16 bots for roughly 31 bots + the human player. What I want is nerfed guns in respect to how BF2 had it, but at the same time I don't want it too close to BFH or else it will be too difficult to get any kills and then would result in issues in SinglePlayer.

As a general rule of thumb, it should never take more then 2 thirds of a gun clip to kill someone with average distance and good aim. wink.gif

But good work so far. I'll keep the tracers in and await your further tweaks on the bullet damage settings.

EDIT: The gun for the AT kits are also too weak, it takes more then one clip at close range to get a kill...a bit too weak I should say. tongue.gif. After playing the Support kits, the gun seems to be close to where it should be. Maybe a bit more power and that one should be good. I haven't tested the knife yet, it seems the bots are ok with them on the larger maps like Coastal Clash. Maps like Midnight/Midday Mayhem is another story. tongue.gif

Also remember that unlike BF1942, BF2 handweapons don't have AI templates. It seems bots go by how much damage the weapon does and how effective it is. So there will be less control over which weapons a bot will choose to use in a given situation. Unless they do infact use aiTemplates? I haven't seen any for the handweapons yet... tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Apache Thunder: Apr 13 2011, 02:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
rukqoa
post Apr 13 2011, 02:48 PM
Post #9

Private

Okay. I've also edited the kits folder because the assaults for both the US and Chinese were not using the right primary weapon.

I'll work on buffing the weapons to BFBC2 style values, which is slightly weaker than BF2. If you don't mind, I'd keep the no deviation + no recoil. That'll make it easier for you to add in custom crosshairs for infantry.

I don't think I touched the knife, but if I buffed the weapons to BFBC2, I plan on making them one hit kills with slight modifications (increase the range and the recover time). I'll also work on making the rocket a one hit kill for direct hits.

(BFBC2 style takes about 6-7 hits to kill with the average assault weapon. With body armor on some classes, it's 1-2 more.)

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Apr 13 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #10

Interdimensional Spy

That sounds good. Also, you know of a way of adding camera shake while walking? (similar to how BFP4F does it)

In BF1942 a simple line of code turned this on to some degree. But BF2 doesn't seem to have something like this. I have a feeling the weapon animations are responsible for this.... sad.gif

The assault kits don't have the easter eggs added so I can just do a quick replace on the folders those. (since I would get index conflicts if I added the easter eggs to all the kits, unless you know of way of doing this? Only things I know of that are added to all kits are grappling hooks/night vision/parachute, but those seem to be hardcoded things. sad.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
rukqoa
post Apr 13 2011, 03:08 PM
Post #11

Private

Camera shake when walking isn't possible with the BF2 engine. If it is, then the PR mod would probably have insane amounts of it. They added it in the BF2142 iteration of the engine, which P4F is based off of.

I might be wrong but I think that it's possible to unbind parachute, night vision, and grappling hooks. There are mods without those. I'll see where those are.

Also, did you solve the problems with the vehicle crosshairs/hit indicators?

+Quote Post
rukqoa
post Apr 13 2011, 03:16 PM
Post #12

Private

Also, regarding the aiTemplates for weapons, AI is beyond my scope, but this is what I've read:

How to stop Bot's grenade spam? - Answer, go into the "objects/weapons/handheld/(name of weapon)/AI/weapons.ai file", and change the line "weaponTemplate.setStrength Infantry #". Set the number to 0, and they wont spam grenades again.

I imagine it should be similar to stop X spam with any weapon.

Edit: when you say Easter Egg, do you mean the turtle shells (aka claymores)?

This post has been edited by rukqoa: Apr 13 2011, 03:20 PM

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Apr 13 2011, 03:30 PM
Post #13

Interdimensional Spy

No. Actual Easter Eggs. tongue.gif Have you not seen the latest game update for Battlefield Heroes?

Before you do anything else to the mod, here's the updated files that adds the Easter Egg widgets and such:

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/apa.../Unsorted/Temp/

(it's a folder, download the files inside it)

Those are the archives I modified. I have already merged the handweapons files and the changes you did to the assault kits. wink.gif

EDIT:

Video showing the finished Easter Egg widget (technically a weapon since it's BF2 we're talking about. tongue.gif )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X70NiE6gVpY

That video is prior to your additions so you won't see any tracers and such in that video.

EDIT: Changed the hit indicator textures to dds files. Now I get a circle with X inside it type crosshair under my crosshair. Had no effect on plane HUD and the AA gun crosshair had a circle with smaller circle inside it type crosshair embedded in the main crosshair.....So it still doesn't work. sad.gif

Also, I forgot to mention that I want the Easter Egg projectiles to explode when a soldier touches them. I can live with setting them up like the claymores where they detonate from soldier proximity if there is no way to do collision detonation. The main issue with claymore coding in general is that the projectile will explode if the person that placed it gets close to it but it will not go off on friendlies....wtf? Has BF2 always had this quirk? It's the main reason why I don't want the Easter Eggs using claymore coding at the moment. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Apache Thunder: Apr 13 2011, 04:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
rukqoa
post Apr 13 2011, 04:53 PM
Post #14

Private

QUOTE (Apache Thunder @ Apr 13 2011, 04:30 PM) *
Also, I forgot to mention that I want the Easter Egg projectiles to explode when a soldier touches them. I can live with setting them up like the claymores where they detonate from soldier proximity if there is no way to do collision detonation. The main issue with claymore coding in general is that the projectile will explode if the person that placed it gets close to it but it will not go off on friendlies....wtf? Has BF2 always had this quirk? It's the main reason why I don't want the Easter Eggs using claymore coding at the moment. sad.gif

Yeah BF2 had the thing where your clays won't explode on friendlies since a patch. I'll try and see if it's possible for me to make it damage friendlies like other explosives.

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Apr 13 2011, 04:59 PM
Post #15

Interdimensional Spy

No no, I don't want it too. I don't want it to explode on friendlies. That feature works fine. The problem is....it doesn't work on the owner of the projectile. It won't explode on friendlies, but will explode on the person that planted the mine/egg. sad.gif

I don't want it to explode on friendlies that includes the person that planted the projectile.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 10:25 AM