Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Battlefield Heroes'42, The mod that started it all.... :D
Apache Thunder
post Apr 6 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Interdimensional Spy

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 3,722

Ever wanted to play BFheroes in first person? Ever wanted to play it with bots?

Well this mod is for you! This is the first complete conversion mod that I have made. My DCU mod is more of a enhancement of DC, BF242 isn't of my creation, and GCN_Mario_Kart still leaves a lot to be desired. tongue.gif

Anyways here are some of my videos that show the development of this mod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXTHChjyQBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y6i-Qb-xzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uznM7-2ZviU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnnsrIk3-eM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyjbaTLGDWU

Features:

1. All vehicles ported.
2. All maps since 1.25 update ported.
3. Jetpacks ported.
4. Most standard issue handweapons ported. No supers/ubers and no I have no plans on porting them!. tongue.gif
5. Features TurboJet and RippinRocket customization items for jetpack kits on Midnight Mayham. All weapons and items found in this mod are free and do not require purchase of any kind!
6. Features a modified HUD to look like the real game and sound effects too!
7. Doesn't lag as much as the real game. biggrin.gif
8. Many other things to long to fit in this post.
9. Update from December of 2010 brought over soldier meshes. Now has a few customization items and the classic soldier meshes from the early closed beta phase of BFHeroes.

New v3.0 Download links:

Client Installer:

BFH42_Setup_v3.exe

Non-installer version for advanced users. extract to the mods folder of your Battlefield 1942 game installation:
bfheroes_v3_client.rar

Server files: (only server admins who have dedicated servers need these)

bfheroes42_v3_serverfiles.rar

Changes in v2.5:

1. Updated ContentCRC32.
2. Disabled Prone. As a side affect, bots are more aggressive now.
3. Made small tweaks to AI behavior wieghts.
4. Added winter version of Midnight Mayhem.
5. Reload animations for RPGs finally fixed. The rocket now shows properly in the soldier's left hand during reload.
6. Corrected crosshair for planes. Planes now use the correct crosshair that was used in the real game.
7. More HUD changes. Changed minimap frame, weapon bar appearence, vehicle health icon position, etc.
8. Ball widget moved to commando kits. Wrench added to Soldier class.
9. Invisible tracers added to rapid fire weapons to reduce lag. (Bullet Flyby sound effect moved to the tracer templates)
10. Re-animated the creek texture to make it more smooth.
11. Altered JetPack behavior to function more like the BFH jetpacks.
12. Changed sound effects for the Jetpack to use the BFH ones.
13. Redid minimap of Riverside Rush.
14. Redid minimap for Riverside Rush Nights and hand edited lightmaps to improve uniformity of lit windows.
15. Added night conversion of Alpine Assault.
16. Added winter conversion of Midnight Mayhem.
17. Edited lightmaps of Victory Village Nights to make the windows more uniformly lit.

Requirements:

1. Battlefield 1942 v1.61b
2. Last version of Punkbuster for online multiplayer if you wish to go online with this.
3. No other mods required to run this mod!

I will continue to update this mod with new stuff once it becomes available and can be ported in a reasonable amount of time.

This post has been edited by Apache Thunder: Feb 29 2012, 07:44 PM

--------------------

I have cameras in your head!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Start new topic
Replies (15 - 29)
Apache Thunder
post Oct 2 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #16

Interdimensional Spy

Ok finished redoing Alpine Assault and will work down the rest in alphabetical order to better track which maps I've finished. Just need to do a quick redo of Buccaneer Bay and will move on to it's night version.

Also in the mean time I've reworked the damage system so that guns and explosions do more damage. Pretty much an across the board increase in damage for everything except vehicle explosions and fall damage which will stay the same. I may set up a closed beta test prior to the 3.0 launch to get a good handle on what folks think of the damage system tweaks and to give the mod another good networking test. About the only thing I've added that may be a concern for multiplayer is the new soccer ball kicking feature I added. (so that players can right click near a soccer ball to "kick" it into the air. It's got a realistic response so far. biggrin.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Oct 5 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #17

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 46

Nice, send me a PM to the link when you get it ready!

--------------------
No, my Avatar is not my dog.

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Oct 28 2011, 07:19 PM
Post #18

Interdimensional Spy

Got some boats working in the mod. biggrin.gif

I converted the new static boat objects in the new map Perilous Port into vehicles and they will make an appearance in Wicked Wake for v3.0. Here's some footage of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBes3oav2FU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX2aIyJFKmA

They are almost done. Just need wreck meshes and perhaps add a cannon to them or something. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Apache Thunder: Oct 28 2011, 07:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Harlock
post Nov 2 2011, 03:03 AM
Post #19

Major

Member No.: 144

This is epic! That's the reason why BF42 is still one of the greatest games ever created. I am looking forward to playing the new version and if i get my old rig to work again i may set up a dedicated server for it.

Fantastic work! And yes, boats need cannons... : )

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Nov 2 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #20

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

It doesn't look like you have added custom aibehaviors. I can help with that if you want.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Nov 6 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #21

Interdimensional Spy

I've fiddled with the aiBehaviors con file but haven't done anything significant with it as I don't really understand it fully. I've also tried to generate boat/landing zone pathmaps for Wicked Wake, but the game refuses to generate the 4/5 layer pathmaps and won't make a layer 1 pathmap for them either. Very odd. The size of the pathmaps means there is no layer 5 pathmap but when I try to go in to regenerate the info files after editing the pathmaps the game expects there to be one and refuses to generate the info/smallones files. sad.gif

If you can try and get at least the boats working that would be great. I can live without the landing zones. Also Wicked Wake is exactly half the size of the vanilla map. So the landing zone positions/size can be divided by 2 and will result in mostly correct positions. But I couldn't test them due to being unable to make working pathmaps for either of the boats/landingcrafts.

I've also tried to add a cars vehicle type to the behaviors file and made jeeps vehicle type 4 for AI, but even after adding the Car pathmap settings to the aiPathfinding file for a 4th vehicle type, the game CTDs out with a invalid vehicle type error for the jeeps. sad.gif

One last option I could do is resize the heightmap/materilMap to 1024x1024 and make the map 2048 in size (filling in the extra space with more sea). This will result in having a 2048x2048 size for the ai.con file for the map and I could then get the thing to finally make a 5th layer pathmap for the boats. But if I do this I will have to fiddle with the yScale alot as the hills/slopes get shallower since after the resize I've done to the lowlands map I'm trying to make a new map out of it took a lot of messing about with the terrain yScale to get it back to where it should be. tongue.gif

Oh and almost forgot to post this. I finished adding cannons to the boats and they are done for the most part. Currently they are using the tank pathmaps so that I could at least get them on the map in singleplayer. The bots won't drive them anywhere for obvious reasons but they'll use the cannon. Another thing to note is that the bots like to light the boat up with RPGs, so don't sail around expecting the enemy bots to leave you be. biggrin.gif (The boats have 600 HP right now and it takes several RPG hits to sink it. (Boat cannons will sink them faster obviously) And the main effective vehicle vs the boat will be aircraft to keep things balanced. I drove the royal boat into the waters between the two lower prongs of the island and left it there. It took the enemy bots about 1-2 minutes to sink it. It was a real RPG party fest seeing them fire their RPGs at it. biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NewcJ95G_9Q

The video also shows how well my boat flag animation fits with the boat wreck/sinking effect. biggrin.gif

I may post up a video of how the bots behave with the boats once I finish the redo of the lightmaps for the map. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Apache Thunder: Nov 6 2011, 10:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Nov 7 2011, 07:25 PM
Post #22

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

I am pretty sure I can manually create boat pathmaps for you. The pathmaps have to be in sequence. The car pathmaps are Number 4 and won't work without boat and landingcraft pathmaps (2 & 3).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Nov 8 2011, 02:32 AM
Post #23

Interdimensional Spy

Yeah the odd thing was that I had the other two pathmaps put in. The coding was there for them. There has to be pathmap files for them as well?

I know how to manually make pathmaps. But the issue is, that apps (that I know of) that generate the smallones and info files for the custom pathmaps is flawed. I have to run the debugger to regen them otherwise I will get a game CTD after playing in singleplayer for awhile. The game wouldn't let me regen them due to it wanting there to be a Boat2Layer3 through Layer5 pathmaps which neither the game nor the apps don't want to generate for some reason.

I can't get a layer 5 pathmap out of a 1024 size map since the conversion app crashes when attempting to create a 32x32 size pathmap. (as each layer is half the size of the previous, a 1024x1024 sized pathmap would end up as 32x32 once on layer 5. But the app crashes when trying to make one that small and the game won't generate a working layer 5 either....

Perhaps you'll have better luck with it then me. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Nov 8 2011, 05:39 AM
Post #24

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

QUOTE (Apache Thunder @ Nov 8 2011, 02:32 AM) *
Yeah the odd thing was that I had the other two pathmaps put in. The coding was there for them. There has to be pathmap files for them as well?

I know how to manually make pathmaps. But the issue is, that apps (that I know of) that generate the smallones and info files for the custom pathmaps is flawed. I have to run the debugger to regen them otherwise I will get a game CTD after playing in singleplayer for awhile. The game wouldn't let me regen them due to it wanting there to be a Boat2Layer3 through Layer5 pathmaps which neither the game nor the apps don't want to generate for some reason.

I can't get a layer 5 pathmap out of a 1024 size map since the conversion app crashes when attempting to create a 32x32 size pathmap. (as each layer is half the size of the previous, a 1024x1024 sized pathmap would end up as 32x32 once on layer 5. But the app crashes when trying to make one that small and the game won't generate a working layer 5 either....

Perhaps you'll have better luck with it then me. tongue.gif

Yes, all the pathmaps have to be there up to the highest one used. I created dummy all black pathmaps a long time ago for the different world sizes to use for testing and to throw in their on a map that doesn't have boats, but has cars. This was more useful in BFV which has an amphibious pathmap postion.

I know I have had problems with generating boat pathmaps in the past and using some of the conversion tools on 1024 worldsizes. BFSPC converter could not handle.. I think I had to use the manual tools to convert the Ed42 textures into a pathmap and then use genpaths to create the smallones. I will have to play around with it to try to remember exactly what I did.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Nov 12 2011, 07:22 AM
Post #25

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

I copied over the aibehaviors in the game file from my realplayer mod into BF Heroes and it made a huge improvement in AI aggression and responsiveness.

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/dna...lplayer1_6i.exe

--------------------

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Feb 29 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #26

Interdimensional Spy

Do you have the modified ai files you copied over to the mod? It would make integrating them into the next version much easier. Also some news I forgot to mention here. Some of the official BFH devs said it would be ok to post a thread about the mod at the official BFH forums. So here it is:

http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/forum/....php?tid=311423

Now the mod has a place at the official BFH forums. v3.0 is now released and can be found there as well. biggrin.gif

Also note discovered a few days ago that the Royal boat on Wicked Wake has a typo in the network template for the cannon turret. This will cause server crashes if anyone attempts to use that vehicle. I already have this fixed among a few other things for the v3.5 release which I plan on releasing once I get a new map added. I don't want to release new versions too close together. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Apache Thunder: Feb 29 2012, 07:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Aug 3 2012, 06:19 AM
Post #27

Interdimensional Spy

Finally got it uploaded. V4.0 is here and it's the final release. Currently uploading a new promotional video for the new release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhpvfU4PdVY

Change Log:

Changes in v4.0:

1. Fixed broken network info for the cannon turret for the bri_boat_elin vehicle.
2. Replaced footstep sounds with BFH ones.
3. Fixed a spawn bug on Alpine Assault that would cause someone to spawn at the wrong flag. A spawnpoint for Wood Camp was linked to the wrong spawn group.
4. Simplified mod version text in main menu. (displayed at bottom right corner)
5. Offset mod version text to the left 10+ pixals to make it line up with the background better.
6. Updated Coastal Clash Winter lightmaps to the new DDS standard.
7. Generated a new minimap for Riverside Rush Nights and Victory Village Nights.
8. Added new AiBehaviors file to improve AI. Tweaks courtesy of Dnamro from BFSP forums.
9. Ported a ton of new statics for use in the new map: Lunar Landing.
10. Ported Lunar Landing and new skydome.
11. Created modified digger tank meshes that are added to tanks on Lunar Landing.
12. Alternate space textures for tanks and jeeps.
13. Made a "Day 2" version of Lunar Landing that features jeeps and tanks and expanded combat area.

Download Link:
BFH42_Setup_v4.exe

Non-Installer version:
bfheroes_v4_client.rar

Server Files:
bfheroes_v4_serverfiles.rar

This post has been edited by Apache Thunder: Aug 3 2012, 06:19 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Aug 3 2012, 09:51 AM
Post #28

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Awesomeess!!!

Too bad this is the final version...

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlphaGreen
post Aug 6 2012, 01:59 AM
Post #29

Captain

Member No.: 9,114

QUOTE (Apache Thunder @ Aug 3 2012, 07:19 AM) *
Finally got it uploaded. V4.0 is here and it's the final release. Currently uploading a new promotional video for the new release.

Pity it's the last version, i would have loved to see the Modern Weapons in-game.

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Aug 6 2012, 10:51 AM
Post #30

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

In Apache's thread at the BFH forums, he stated that he had not plans to add the modern weapons anyway. He felt they took away from the WWII feel of the mod and the limited ability to customize in BF42.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 11:36 AM