Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Battlefield Heroes'42, The mod that started it all.... :D
Apache Thunder
post Apr 6 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Interdimensional Spy

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 3,722

Ever wanted to play BFheroes in first person? Ever wanted to play it with bots?

Well this mod is for you! This is the first complete conversion mod that I have made. My DCU mod is more of a enhancement of DC, BF242 isn't of my creation, and GCN_Mario_Kart still leaves a lot to be desired. tongue.gif

Anyways here are some of my videos that show the development of this mod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXTHChjyQBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y6i-Qb-xzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uznM7-2ZviU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnnsrIk3-eM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyjbaTLGDWU

Features:

1. All vehicles ported.
2. All maps since 1.25 update ported.
3. Jetpacks ported.
4. Most standard issue handweapons ported. No supers/ubers and no I have no plans on porting them!. tongue.gif
5. Features TurboJet and RippinRocket customization items for jetpack kits on Midnight Mayham. All weapons and items found in this mod are free and do not require purchase of any kind!
6. Features a modified HUD to look like the real game and sound effects too!
7. Doesn't lag as much as the real game. biggrin.gif
8. Many other things to long to fit in this post.
9. Update from December of 2010 brought over soldier meshes. Now has a few customization items and the classic soldier meshes from the early closed beta phase of BFHeroes.

Download Links:

https://github.com/ApacheThunder/bfheroes42...leases/tag/v5.2

Changes in v5.2:

1. Add ability to trigger Troop Traps/Kegs with guns. Troop Trap and Kegs can now be detonated by most weapons. (excluding sniper rifles because their fire velocity is too high to work with proximity fuses and slowing them down would compromise the usefulness of these weapons)
2. Troop Trap trigger radius reduced. They aren't quite as overpowered now. tongue.gif
3. Fixed broken vehicle icon on Greenwood vehicle.
4. Lowered mass of Sticky TNT.
5. Made tracer projectile for shotguns visible. They have better bullet visibility now.
6. Also added new camera view for jeeps for a BFH style third person view. (for the most part)
7. Enable more then 64 bots in Singleplayer mode (via Instant Battle menu only). Note that some maps will lag pretty bad if you go over the standard maximum. Use with caution. tongue.gif

Requirements:

1. Battlefield 1942 v1.61b
2. Last version of Punkbuster for online multiplayer if you wish to go online with this.
3. No other mods required to run this mod!

I will continue to update this mod with new stuff once it becomes available and can be ported in a reasonable amount of time.

This post has been edited by Apache Thunder: Jan 30 2017, 10:00 AM

--------------------

I have cameras in your head!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
razza779(the bfh...
post Apr 9 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #2

Enlisted

Member No.: 7,959

Looks amazing, seen your vids on youtube. Can't wait to play. I know it says you wont be putting supers/ubers on but will you add modern wepons?

Like M95,M16,M21

Also the modern wepons from punk heros (rocket launcher etc.)

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Apr 12 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #3

Interdimensional Spy

I currently have no plans on porting over the supers or modern weapons. BF1942 already has mods like DesertCombat and such that have weapons like those.

I don't want to go down the same path that EA has gone with the real BFH game. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Apache Thunder: Apr 12 2011, 12:06 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
McMick
post May 5 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #4

Major

Member No.: 1,135

Apache Thunder, are you supposed to look like Heisenberg from Breaking Bad in that avatar pic? Just curious.

This post has been edited by McMick: May 5 2011, 11:06 PM

--------------------
Intel P45/ICH10R, Core2 Q6600@333MHzx9, NVIDIA GTX 460 1GB, 4GB 1066MHz 5-5-5-15, Win7 64-bit, Acer 22" 1680x1050@60Hz

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post May 6 2011, 10:50 AM
Post #5

Interdimensional Spy

I made that avatar quite a few years ago and was likely before that show even existed. Any similarity is a coincidence. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
McMick
post May 11 2011, 12:51 AM
Post #6

Major

Member No.: 1,135

Well, you should watch the show sometime, it's one of the best on TV! Actually you should get the DVDs because the shows need to be watched chronologically. Sorry to hijack the thread, btw.

As for BFH, I downloaded both mods, and while the soldiers look right in BF1942, in BF2 the soldiers are just the stock ones. Did I do something wrong?

This post has been edited by McMick: May 11 2011, 12:54 AM

--------------------
Intel P45/ICH10R, Core2 Q6600@333MHzx9, NVIDIA GTX 460 1GB, 4GB 1066MHz 5-5-5-15, Win7 64-bit, Acer 22" 1680x1050@60Hz

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post May 11 2011, 07:10 AM
Post #7

Interdimensional Spy

No. The BF2 version of the mod does not yet feature any of the handweapons or soldiers from Battlefield Heroes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Jun 12 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #8

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 46

just now trying ver 2.5 and it rocks! awesome job. The bots are very challenging. This mod is a lot more fun to play than online gameplay with the original game.

--------------------
No, my Avatar is not my dog.

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Jun 12 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #9

Interdimensional Spy

Thanks! After I had disabled prone (quick explanation as to how, I remed out all references to prone in the handweapon tweak animations and a few other things. Feel free to take a closer look if you want), the bots appear to be more active then they used to be. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Apache Thunder: Jun 12 2011, 11:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Aug 30 2011, 07:40 PM
Post #10

Interdimensional Spy

Update:

Got done doing a re-render of Riverside Rush Nights with color light sources and DDS format lightmaps. Here's some before and after shots: (click to enlarge)

Before: After:

Much better yes? I plan to redo those with less bright settings on the lightsources. They are a bit too bright with current settings, but overall it came out very good. But overall this shows the big benefit of using DDS lightmaps. It allows full color in the textures and as a result you can have lightsources with different colors. This allows for more control over the lighting colors that more advanced games like BF2 offers and makes the map look much better. If it wasn't for the limited terrain quality, one could mistake the map for a BF2 map if done good. biggrin.gif

The statics were rendered at twice the resolution as before. Large statics use 1024x1024, medium statics use 512x512, and small statics use 256x256. biggrin.gif

I also redid the clouds. The map (and probably all the other rain maps) will now use a new skybox that has an animated BIK texture. I made scrolling clouds with a fog border on it so it will blend with the horizon. The skybox itself is simply a large flat plane and so far it looks just as good if not better then the cloud plane on a rotational bundle that I had used earlier. I made the animation in GIMP by the way. biggrin.gif

Once I do a final re-render of the lightmaps with adjusted brightness settings for the light sources, I will post a video showing the final result. I plan on redoing Victory Village with new lightmaps as well. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Aug 31 2011, 04:09 AM
Post #11

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Awesome-ness!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Sep 1 2011, 10:46 AM
Post #12

Interdimensional Spy

Thanks. biggrin.gif

Here's a video of the final render of lightmaps for Riverside Rush Nights. New DDS format lightmaps with proper color light sources + new skybox mesh with animated clouds texture instead of using cloud mesh + new Fog color means that the atmosphere of this map has improved greatly. tongue.gif

Video of the final result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3opbDbwcqMY

This post has been edited by Apache Thunder: Sep 1 2011, 10:46 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Sep 1 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #13

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Apache,

Excellent work!

I have noticed some gameplay issues on infantry maps.

One thing I noticed as far as gameplay on the infantry maps is that the bots tend to bunch up together fighting each other. The 42 bots stop moving when they meet enemy contact, which is part of the reason for the grouping of bots. So, I really not seeing bots more aggresive by removing prone capability. So instead of a goal of run and gun gameplay, instead we have the bots rush around until they find something to shoot at, then they stop until they or the enemy is dead. Since it's harder to kill the enemy, this results in bots standing around a lot.

What about making the weapons more powerful? It's really not much fun to have to empty a smg clip into an enemy at close range to kill him. This may be the way that BF heroes is set up, but it's not as much fun with bots, since they don't run away when they are injured, like players do.

Also, how do you get healed with a kit that does not have a health pack? Can bots use health packs? How about adding some first aid kits around the map that you recover health when you are close? Or just have the heroes slowly recover health automatically.

Midnight mayhem does not play well with bots with on one central CP. Riverside Rush has more running around with bots, but Midnight mayhem has all the action focused on the center CP and the bases. It needs at least one more CP to fight over.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Sep 5 2011, 01:40 PM
Post #14

Interdimensional Spy

I'll think about adjusting the damage system. As for healthpacks, the soldier kits all have them and they operate in a manner similar to the vanilla medpack. (soldiers now have wrenches as well) There's not much I can do about Midnight Mayhem. That map is really small and there isn't anywhere else to put flags. tongue.gif

Also, I finished my redo of Victory Village Nights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAAe4Yn9xbg

biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Apache Thunder: Sep 5 2011, 01:40 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Apache Thunder
post Sep 7 2011, 11:24 PM
Post #15

Interdimensional Spy

Redid Midnight Mayhem and I think I outdid my self with this one. It's very close in appearence of the BF2 version of the map quality wise if not better: (click to enlarge)

BF1942's BFH mod with my lightmaps:

BF2's version with BFH's stock lightmaps: (basically how it looks in Battlefield Heroes)

Looks like the same color scheme as the BF2 version of the map which was just about impossible to achieve using the standard pallet and grayscale TGAs typically used by BF42. tongue.gif

Basically what I did was use a image editor to get the RGB value of of the pixals in the skydome texture and used that as the sky light color in max. Then used one of the pixels in the moon on the texture as the moon light color. Well it appears I was dead on. Before I had tried using settings derived from BF2Editor's light settings for the map, but it resulted in a map that was too bright and lacked enough contrast from the lit and unlit areas. Turns out settings used from the sky dome texture used on the map provides more accurate results. biggrin.gif

Ha ha, just wait till I try one of the day maps in 3DS Max. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 12:03 AM