IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Implementing new weapon into bf2., Advanced modding help needed.
Scyther
post Oct 9 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #1

Enlisted

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 7,658

Hello nice Forum-users! smile.gif

First a little bit information about me:
I need help with emplementing a weapon from AIX into normal battlefield 2. I don't want to steal the weapon, I want it to use it for personal use only.
I want the incredibly nice "aix_tavor" (the israeli tar-21) correctly implemented in bf2. I am quite experienced with modding bf2 through notepad, My experience with modding: I made it so that every weapon from "Special Forces" and "Euro Force" are added to the US,ch,mec classes through ItemIndex's and adding the new weapon lines to the "Kits". Also I added the Fpsbanana's; Noobkiller's her: "USSNI_M82A1" animation add-on. (The weapon featured in bf2 but never used). And some other modding I forgot...

But now I only want is one weapon from AIX be coded into bf2, i've done the following already:
I've copied the following files to bf2:

Objects folder -> \Weapons\Handheld\aix_tavor\Info: and their corresponding WeaponIcon image. (+weapon.desc)
menu_client -> ...\HUD\Texture\Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud: aix_Tavor_menu and tavor_mini
objects_client -> ...\Weapons\Handheld\aix_tavor: and their corresponding meshes, sounds, textures folders.
objects_server -> ...\Weapons\Handheld\aix_tavor: and their corresponding ai, animations, meshes, tweak file, con file and inc file.

Now, i've changed the US medic kit his weapon to aix_tavor, but when I start the game, and the desired map loads, it crashes when the load bar reaches
just the end. The load bar correctly runs through animations, meshes, textures and all that. (So probably that's fine, no crash there) But crashes right at the end.

I personally think I need to adjust the "aix_tavor.tweak" file to some default settings of bf2 and not aix. I think aix has some weapon stuff that is not compatible with the normal bf2, but what stuff? and how do I fix this? Also maybe I forgot something to copy to the archives.

I hope someone can help, I would be very pleased to be helped by an official aix-modder... ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Kanuc
post Oct 9 2010, 09:18 AM
Post #2

Major

Member No.: 7,308

I have had this myself and i think youl find its a weapon Icon or eye piece (ie red dot) Icon missing.

+Quote Post
Scyther
post Oct 9 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #3

Enlisted

Okay, where is this "red dot icon" located? I already got the weapon icons in the objects folder and the menu_client folder correctly copied, am I further missing something else?

+Quote Post
clivewil
post Oct 9 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #4

meh.
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 3,545

i'm looking through the mesh and i can see that aix_mk14ebr_c.dds is also needed (and it has to be kept in the right folder in the mod you transplant it into, too)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scyther
post Oct 9 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #5

Enlisted

I have found the aix_mk14ebr_c.dds file at Objects_client\Weapons\Handheld\aix_Mk14EBR\textures I go implent it right away.
This is a very useful answer thank you, I go try it now and post any statements on the progress.

P.S: Thanks for moving this topic to the appropiate section, I need to open my eyes more.

- Edit - Well, it still doesn't work but I got good news; the game completely loads. When I start choosing a class and got deployed it still is working, When I try to swap to the weapon (or any weapon in this class) it crashes. The weapon has itemindex 7, and is given to the medic class. But when I give it itemindex 3 and replace the usrif_m16a2 with the aix_tavor it crashes in the class selection screen, I think a menu picture of the tavor is missing, but when I look into the .TWEAK file of the tavor it says I need:

ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.weaponIcon Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\aix_Tavor_menu.tga
ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.altWeaponIcon Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\tavor_mini.tga
ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.selectIcon Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\aix_Tavor_menu.tga <- Same image as line 1, in bf2 they use the Selection folder for this extra image which makes 3 images instead of 2, maybe I need to make an extra image for this?

All 2 images listed above are present in the right folder; namely:
Menu_client -> \HUD\Texture\Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud

So it is present but doesn't work, hmm?

So I've tried different things to let it work like replacing "aix_tavor_menu.tga" for a renamed "eurif_famas.tga" in the menu_client but the outcome was the same. (I did this because the length and width of the tavor is bigger than normal icons, but that doesn't seem to matter).

This post has been edited by Scyther: Oct 9 2010, 12:23 PM

+Quote Post
imtheheadhunter
post Oct 9 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #6

Debug assertion failed! Text:people == stupid!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,609

You should also have a look through the list of important modding threads thread.

I moved a weapon/vehicle from one mod to another, and the HUD files won't work?! - Answer, See below....

What are the proper file format settings for HUD pics? - Answer, You need to save the HUD pics as an "ARGB 8.8.8.8 with no mipmaps".DDS file. The game will not read .tga files. You could also rename the file from .tga to .DDS, however this can cause problems.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scyther
post Oct 9 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #7

Enlisted

I know that the HUD icons doesnt need mipmaps, since they don't decrease in texture from far distance (since they ofcourse are icons and not skins), but I didn't know that the mipmaps change when copying the images from a mod to another. (/Or that you need to create .dds files instead of the more commonly found .tga files).

Thanks for this answer, I'll go try it.

- Edit - Omg, It works!!! Thanks Clivewil and imtheheadhunter! It finally works in-game! <3

This post has been edited by Scyther: Oct 9 2010, 03:00 PM

+Quote Post
EzPiKnZ[ONT]
post Oct 10 2010, 07:13 AM
Post #8

Are you the Gate Keeper?

Member No.: 271

A little off-topic
QUOTE (Scyther @ Oct 9 2010, 03:54 PM) *
I know that the HUD icons doesnt need mipmaps, since they don't decrease in texture from far distance (since they ofcourse are icons and not skins), but I didn't know that the mipmaps change when copying the images from a mod to another. (/Or that you need to create .dds files instead of the more commonly found .tga files).

Mipmaps are not only used in accordance with draw distance but tie in to the users graphics settings as well. Any hud graphic should not use a mipmap so it does not become distorted on a machine using lower settings. I've seen this in a few mods before with weapon icons and ingame maps. I don't now exact calls for BF2 but for example: A machine on high will read as high as mipmap 0 (highest detail), a machine on medium may be capped reading as high as mipmap 3 and a machine on low may be capped at reading as high as mipmap 5.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
F-15C Eagle
post Apr 17 2013, 01:41 PM
Post #9

Enlisted

Member No.: 9,558

Hey there! Good day!

Im also attempting to add a gun from AIX to BF2 which is the Mk.14 EBR, also for personal use only. I also did what Scyther did, and experienced the same problem.
I made some adjustments on the .tweak file, but the game keeps crashing.

Also, I want to add the M1A1 Abrams tank in BF2. How do I do it? Can you please help me? Thanks!

This post has been edited by F-15C Eagle: Apr 17 2013, 01:43 PM

+Quote Post
Kanuc
post Apr 17 2013, 02:53 PM
Post #10

Major

One thing at a time.Where does it Crash with Mk.14 EBR? At start of count down, in the middle, at the end,or at Join Game? Did you archive folders like Scyther? Is the Mk.14 EBR still number 3 choice? Did you change Mk.14 EBR icon into dds?

+Quote Post
F-15C Eagle
post Apr 17 2013, 02:59 PM
Post #11

Enlisted

It crashes with the Join Game. I also archived the folders. I think its with the HUD since I did not change the icons to dds. I'll do it then. Anyways, any info on how to add the M1A1? In the US Intervention mod, there is an M1A1 there in which I want to add. I really love that tank so much.
Thanks! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Kanuc
post Apr 17 2013, 04:09 PM
Post #12

Major

Right click on your BF2 icon.click Properties. and Add this abreviation to your BF2 Icon address at top. Make sure there is a space then (restart +menu 1 +fullscreen 0 +szx 1280 +szy 768) This will let Bf2 give you an ERROR code,so you can find out whats crashing your game.As for the Abrams its the same procedure. This tank is alot more work then i first thought. Eagle you have a Pm.

This post has been edited by Kanuc: Apr 18 2013, 06:20 AM

+Quote Post
F-15C Eagle
post Apr 18 2013, 03:14 AM
Post #13

Enlisted

Ok then. Thanks for the help! The Mk.14 now works fine. Now, for the M1A1. I did already put the M1A1's zip files from the USI to BF2 and edited the GameLogicInit.con but the game crashed. What should I do then? Is it again with the HUD? Thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kanuc
post Apr 18 2013, 06:24 AM
Post #14

Major

If you read my first line of my reply, it will help you fix whats wrong.Just make a copy of your BF2 Icon, Call it whatever,I call mine BF2 FIx. Right click and choose Properties.Then add the line i gave you.

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Apr 18 2013, 10:19 AM
Post #15

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

M.Combat posted a video tutorial for installing his weapon ports, worth a watch if you're trying to figure out how to install a weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ1U6-xFb0A

The key is to get all files necessary and pay attention to file structures (where everything goes). It just a matter of identifying and properly replicating the pattern examples set throughout the game. Put everything in it's proper place and it'll run. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2017 - 04:29 PM