Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

New BF2 Strategic AI System, An alternative approach to SAI scripting
Void
post Jun 8 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #1

Otaku

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 7,463

My attempt to replace the default BF2 strategies turned into the project this post describes. In short, I have tried to improve the BF2 AI Commander, and due to all the positive feedback from the members of this forum, I believe I have succeeded.

The name of this project is "Enhanced Strategic AI",or simply ESAI for short. If you are impatient, the download links are at the bottom of this post.

New (8/20/2013) ESAI now supports Battlefield 2142. See the downloads section

New (8/20/2013) Wilson212 has written a GUI application to make ESAI patching easier. See the downloads section.

NOTICE

ESAI is FREE SOFTWARE. It has no copyright or usage license. The only restriction on use of this code is that you may not redistribute it for a fee unless you need to cover the marginal cost of distribution media. The key word is "cost" of the media. You may not use that as an excuse to turn a profit.

So what exactly is ESAI? It is an alternative approach to BF2 & BF2142 Strategic AI scripting. It gives the AI commander many more strategy options. ESAI is designed to enhance each team's cohesiveness and overall effectiveness.

The ESAI package is not exclusive to any particular mod. It has been tested with dozens of them.

Here are the answers to the most frequently asked questions about ESAI. Please, restrain yourself - I will no longer respond to queries regarding the information below:
  • Yes- it works with patch 1.5.
  • Yes -it runs smoothly on a dedicated server.
  • No- it will not make bots climb ladders.
  • No- it will not make bots better drivers.
  • No- it will not restore Arty requests to patch 1.5.

INCOMPATBILE MODS

There are none. All mods will work fine with ESAI; I promise.

STABILITY - CRASH ISSUES - SUPPORT

Standard ESAI has now been tested extensively, and it is known to be stable. If you have any crashes related to ESAI, you have almost certainly made a mistake setting it up. Get help from someone who is already using ESAI.

ESAI Features

ESAI includes 4 default strategy sets for use with different styles of maps. Strategy Sets are assigned to specific maps on a per game mode basis,using a specially crafted 'Strategies.ai' file. This file loads the ESAI core code,any required plugins,and the strategy set that is to be applied to the game mode. ESAI does not override the default strategies of any mod. If ESAI is not activated inside a map, then the default strategies are loaded as usual.

New (5/13/2011):

The ESAI core now contains over 30 working strategies. The default Strategy Sets assign 12 strategies to each team, and there are more complex strategy sets available in the user directory tree.

ESAI uses a plugin system to allow coders to craft new strategies without reinventing the wheel. A user written plugin can create a strategy by making use of the conditions and prerequisites already defined by ESAI. Plugin authors can also create their own conditions,prerequisites,or strategies as needed. If you need help using ESAI in your own strategy scripts you are welcome to post questions.

DOWNLOAD LINKS

Note: All ESAI versions may be installed and used at the same time. If you are new to patching zip files try the application below:

ESAI Manager Gui (by Wilson212)

Download here. Very easy to use and intuitive program. No installation needed; just unpack into a folder and run it.

NOTE: Maps containing invalid characters in "info.desc" cannot be loaded into this fine program. This is a known issue. These maps can still be ESAI patched manually. Most maps should open just fine.

ESAI v4.25 Public - This is standard ESAI. If you have never used ESAI before download this one.

Download ESAI 4.25

ESAI Embedded - This version is based on standard ESAI, but can be embedded into maps instead of a mod folder:

Download ESAI Embedded

ESAI Infantry Edition - A somewhat beta version of ESAI that pushes the bots even harder towards the front lines. Made with infantry only maps in mind but you can use it with any map.:

Download ESAI Infantry version

ESAI Infantry Embedded - can be embedded into a map without mod folder install:

Download embedded ESAI Infantry version

New (8/20/2013)

ESAI for BF2142 - Based on standard ESAI. ESAI now supports Battlefield 2142!

Download ESAI 2142

ESAI:2142 Embedded - can be added to a map without installing ESAI to a mod folder

Download ESAI:2142 Embedded

New:

All non-embedded versions contain a simple method and instructions on how to make ESAI the default strategy provider for your mod.

When I first created this I thought I would be the only person to ever use it; I was mistaken. A huge Thanks goes out to all the good people at BFSP who have donated their time and energy in testing my work and giving me the feedback I needed to make it better.

This post has been edited by Void: Apr 2 2014, 06:53 AM

--------------------
Do what you want, just don't do it around me.

All my moddb stuff: http://www.moddb.com/mods/esai-enhanced-st...c-ai/downloads/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
15 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
MasterChiefRulZ
post Jun 8 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #2

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 48

Hello Void and welcome to Battlefield Singleplayer. smile.gif

Fascinating work. Looking forward to future developments.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Void
post Jun 8 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #3

Otaku

Yeah, that was a real mouthful for my first post in this forum. I hope there are indeed future developments,but I need to first see if there is any community interest in what I've written so far.

--------------------

All my moddb stuff: http://www.moddb.com/mods/esai-enhanced-st...c-ai/downloads/

+Quote Post
Bubbles
post Jun 9 2010, 08:49 AM
Post #4

General

Member No.: 1,539

I'm downloading and will test it in my own mod to see how it affects the bots! bigthumb.gif

+Quote Post
Mr. S
post Jun 10 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #5

Major

Member No.: 1,243

I like the concept. Used it on AIX Iwo Jima and Aberdeen, and it seemed pretty intense, some flags that weren't usually getting capped did get capped, although it may be a freak incident. requires more testing!

+Quote Post
Void
post Jun 10 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #6

Otaku

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to test ESAI. Mr. S, your comment is encouraging.

I've added a basic plugin author's guide to the main download package. 
Between the plugin guide and the code comments, there should now be enough documentation available for folks to write their own AI modules using the ESAI code base.

This post has been edited by Void: Jul 22 2010, 12:34 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Void
post Jun 15 2010, 12:39 AM
Post #7

Otaku

ESAI has been updated to version 2.7b. The download link is in my first post. I won't go into a detailed change log here, but I will say that I think the new version achieves some desired effects.

The new version is backwards compatible with the initial release. You can install 2.7b without breaking any maps that are already hooked to ESAI. This will always be the rule when ESAI is updated. As always, comments and feedback are welcome.

--------------------

+Quote Post
korben_dallas
post Jun 16 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #8

Classic Rock? no.. classic BF2

Member No.: 262

Interesting work, Void.

Do you find these strategies help squad cohesiveness? Or just stream the bots more efficiently?

--------------------
Thanx!

~Keith "Korben Dallas"

+Quote Post
Void
post Jun 16 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #9

Otaku

One of the major design goals of ESAI was to stream the bots more effectively. I think I may have accomplished this to some degree.

I've also tried my best to create strategies that result in sane Commander orders,though this is highly dependent on the quality of the map's design - particularly with regard to well planned SA neighboring.

In my tests I've noticed a higher level of overall action. I've also seen more CPs getting capped that usually don't get touched when I'm running the Vanilla default strategies.

ESAI seems to also increase "squad cohesiveness",as you put it.I think this is a side effect resulting from better management of the team as a whole.

It has never been my intent to produce perfect strategies.Just as important as my other design goals is the desire to create a framework that others can expand on, and that inexperienced SAI scripters can learn from.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bubbles
post Jun 25 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #10

General

Member No.: 1,539

Well I've seen that the bots seem to be much more aggressive which required that I turned down the difficulty to .9 as they seem to head-shot me much to quickly.

Has made it much more difficult to grab flags without an immediate counterattack happening. bigthumb.gif

+Quote Post
Void
post Jun 26 2010, 12:56 AM
Post #11

Otaku

ESAI is now at version 3.0. The biggest change is that the SA temp multipliers used in the core are now constants defined in a seperate file. There are some other minor improvements as well. This release works with all maps hooked to previous versions of ESAI. 

Download link is in my first post.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spartan117gw
post Jul 3 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #12

General

Member No.: 1,696

GONA ETEST!~

CAN SOMONE explain how i install this. do i drop most of the foldser into the mod directory. and just put the map files into the ai folder in each gamemode?

This post has been edited by spartan117gw: Jul 3 2010, 11:19 AM

--------------------

You've been GD'ed.

+Quote Post
Void
post Jul 3 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #13

Otaku

CAN SOMONE explain how i install this. do i drop most of the foldser into the mod directory. and just put the map files into the ai folder in each gamemode?

Sure. The easiest install is just to copy the ESAI directory into [bf2Directory]\mods\bf2, so you end up with \mods\bf2\ESAI.

After that you add your choice of map file to \[level]\server.zip-->\GameModes\[gameMode]\[numPlayers]\AI\.

You can add the ESAI map files to levels in any mod, regardless of where you put the ESAI folder. If you install ESAI to a directory other than \mods\bf2\, you will need to edit the paths inside the default map files before you use them.

If you still need help, feel free to PM me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spartan117gw
post Jul 3 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #14

General

Member No.: 1,696

so i throw the file named STRATEGIES. from what ever strat i choose and just dump it in an ai folder? in a map game mode

--------------------

You've been GD'ed.

+Quote Post
Void
post Jul 3 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #15

Otaku

Yep. Just pick a `Strategies.ai` file from \ESAI\MapFiles\default\[strategy]\ and put it in the AI folder for the gamemode you want to test. (Same place in server.zip where the file `StrategicAreas.ai` lives.)

--------------------

+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2017 - 12:19 AM