IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

How to change the "ROF" of your firing sound, change the ROF in your weapon, and the sound doesn't match?
imtheheadhunter
post Jun 1 2009, 03:16 PM
Post #1

Debug assertion failed! Text:people == stupid!
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 1,609

Ok, so you've just changed the ROF(Rate Of Fire) of a weapon, and now the firing sound doesn't match. Here's what you do,

First, you'll need to have the program "Sony Sound Forge" installed. I've heard that "Oh so-and-so has used this other program...", but in my experience, Sound forge is the only program that can actually do what is needed.

Next, you need to open up the sound file in Sound forge, and then edit the Region markers. (see pic bellow) (1) Right click on one of the 2 green markers(if there are none, select a bit of the sound, go to special/insert Region, and now there will be), then (2) click on "edit".

Now in the menu box that pops up(see pic bellow), you can edit the start point and end point and the length. You can completely ignore the length, that will take care of itself. And you can pretty much ignore the start point too, and for nearly all sounds this should be left at 0. Now change the end point to end when the next shot would be fired. For a weapon with a ROF of 600 RPM, this would be at point 0.1. for a weapon with a ROF of 900 it would be 0.066, etc. Just to make sure it's all working correctly, make sure the "play looped" box is checked, then click the "play" button, and you'll get to hear how the sound is looping. No, it's not necessary to do this, but you can catch mistakes much sooner by doing this. When your done, save the sound, package it into your mod, and then your done.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
imtheheadhunter
post May 3 2010, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Debug assertion failed! Text:people == stupid!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,609

Another good tut for how to do this in case mine wasn't good enough for you.

Originally posted by CrazyIvan1745

First you will want to start off by selecting a small portion from the beginning of the sound file. You will then want to right click on the blue bar that shows what is selected, and select "Insert Region"

That will create little green flags on each end of the selection. Right-click one of those flags and then select "Edit".

You don't need to name it, however you will need to know the fire rate of your gun. This was for an AK-47 so it's firerate will be 600 rounds per minute. To find when you will want it to loop for each shot you will need to find the amount of shots per second which can be calculated as 60seconds divided by the rounds per minute (In this case 60/600). That comes out to a nice 0.1 seconds per shot. so you will set the length of the Region to 0.100 seconds.

Hit OK and you should be all set. The only time a region won't be at the start that I can think of is something like a Start_Idle_Stop sound. The Idle will be your looping region.

A side thing to note:
1p Sounds should be all Stereo 16-bit, and I would suggest 44,100 Hz

3p Sounds should be all Mono 16-bit, and are normally 22,050 Hz but if you have the mod space you can go ahead and make it 44,100 Hz

--------------------

+Quote Post
cheese chisel
post Apr 7 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #3

Major

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 9,922

I had this problem recently, and I was able to align the sound with the ROF by slightly changing the pitch of the 1p and 3p weapon projectile looping effects in the weapon/vehicle tweak

it didn't work for every sound/weapon, but most of them lined up fine with a little pitch tweaking

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Apr 8 2014, 03:48 PM
Post #4

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (cheese chisel @ Apr 7 2014, 08:03 PM) *
I had this problem recently, and I was able to align the sound with the ROF by slightly changing the pitch of the 1p and 3p weapon projectile looping effects in the weapon/vehicle tweak

it didn't work for every sound/weapon, but most of them lined up fine with a little pitch tweaking

I usually try to do tweaks of sound in 'quarters.' Like halving a reload and tweaking the sound up 50% (easy peezy). Keeping the equation simple keeps the tweaks simple. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bobthedinosaur
post Apr 8 2014, 06:55 PM
Post #5

Dictator

Member No.: 7,896

there was a special utility made just for this. Let me upload it.

here try this Attached File  BF2_Add_Sound_Regions.zip ( 1.15MB ) Number of downloads: 34

--------------------
Not doing modding right now, so please don't ask.

+Quote Post
CHOPPERGIRL
post Apr 8 2014, 08:58 PM
Post #6

Enlisted

Member No.: 10,033

cool

This post has been edited by CHOPPERGIRL: Apr 8 2014, 08:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Apr 8 2014, 09:31 PM
Post #7

You know the drill...
Group Icon

QUOTE (bobthedinosaur @ Apr 8 2014, 08:55 PM) *
there was a special utility made just for this. Let me upload it.

here try this Attached File  BF2_Add_Sound_Regions.zip ( 1.15MB ) Number of downloads: 34

Another one of Bergerkiller's tools, correct? I use this myself for firing sounds.

When I tweak sounds with pitch, it's usually when I'm adjusting reloads (longer or shorter I break it up in quarters).

--------------------

+Quote Post
post Apr 10 2014, 05:59 AM
Post #8

Major

Member No.: 9,669

It is very useful for me. Thanks~ bigthumb.gif

+Quote Post
cheese chisel
post Apr 13 2014, 12:08 PM
Post #9

Major

thanks for the extra tool, I love stuff like this

I can't seem to get it to do anything besides open a wav file and show the sound spectrum though

it asks me to direct it to a WAV and then about RPM and start/stop times, but then stays on this screen with no controls or options - anyone else having this problem?

--------------------

+Quote Post
bobthedinosaur
post Apr 13 2014, 01:19 PM
Post #10

Dictator

Member No.: 7,896

It is a weird program, but when it gets to that screen you can exit it. Check to see if the wav file has been modified. But I think that's what it shows after it adjusted the sound file to the ROF you selected.

This post has been edited by bobthedinosaur: Apr 13 2014, 01:20 PM

--------------------
Not doing modding right now, so please don't ask.

+Quote Post
cheese chisel
post Apr 13 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #11

Major

I just tried a few different WAVs and it's not changing the files at all - maybe I'm missing something

does this program also play the WAV? so far it's been silent and as soon as I select the ROF/time it goes to that screen and then I have to start over - I was expecting a playback step and a save step somewhere after the ROF/time thing

thanks for the help, looking forward to getting this working

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Apr 13 2014, 07:55 PM
Post #12

You know the drill...
Group Icon

does this program also play the WAV? so far it's been silent and as soon as I select the ROF/time it goes to that screen and then I have to start over - I was expecting a playback step and a save step somewhere after the ROF/time thing

Sounds like you have it working correctly (BADOOMP TISH).

You just open up the wav file, tell the program what the desired Rate of Fire for the sound is, then hit enter. Done. Only way to test (that I know of) is ingame with the weapon of choice.

The purpose of this program is to add a 'sound region' for firing sounds. This allows you to create your own firing sound (using another program, like Audacity or something), then using this program add a proper sound region to the firing sound according to whatever the fire rate of the weapon is.

Without a sound region firing sounds only run once when you hit the button to fire. With a sound region they repeat at the rate the gun fires at (like 600 round per minute, 900, etc). People have found work arounds but they don't work as neatly/efficiently as proper sound regions.

The sound region tool does just that, only adds sound regions, nothing more. Once you add the region successfully it should tell you you're done.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cheese chisel
post Apr 13 2014, 08:17 PM
Post #13

Major

haha thanks - that's one of the worst cases of operator error I've done in a while

I've been playing the sounds back with VLC expecting them to sound different - it makes a lot more sense now ... I'm off to shoot some Kubra Dam residents to test it out - thanks!

the sound region thing is new to me but it seems much better than playing with the pitch, which doesn't always work - very nice that these programs are still floating around the internet

by the way - there are some really good weapon sound effects in the 2142 Sound_client for those willing to cross that line ... the EMP and vehicle effect sounds work good for a few things too

This post has been edited by cheese chisel: Apr 13 2014, 08:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MasterChiefRulZ
post Apr 13 2014, 08:43 PM
Post #14

You know the drill...
Group Icon

Great sound samples are everywhere. From the sound files of your favorite PC game, to youtube. I've downloaded sound packs off youtube to use for my personal mod, and you can use FRAPS to record sound of videos as you watch them. Like say an actual M16 being fired, record with FRAPS, convert the video to sound using Windows Movie Maker, edit with Audacity, sound regions with the sound region tool...

Now your virtual M16 sounds just like a real M16. Of course you want to get a good sound sample (clean crisp sound).

Usually I use sounds from other favorite games though. The above is just an illustration of how one can sample new sounds. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 04:49 PM