New selection pictures
Milleuros
post Jul 7 2008, 02:04 PM
Post #1

Major

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 4,604

Hi !

Do you know where I can find some new selection pictures, for the BF2 M4, M16a2 (without GL), AK101, AK47, AK74u ?

No, I don't know how to create them

--------------------
Hoping the English was correct
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (15 - 27)
frank_beans
post Jan 8 2009, 10:24 AM
Post #16

Master Sergeant

Member No.: 3,008

you should pm kysterama, in order for him to provide the 3dsmax scene he uses for the AIX icons. Once you have the scene, all you do is load up your weapon .con file, apply the correct textures, re size it, render & save it.

This post has been edited by frank_beans: Jan 8 2009, 10:25 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SatNav
post Jan 8 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #17

Cesar

Group: Banned
Member No.: 752

bootyshake.gif

This post has been edited by SatNav: Apr 1 2009, 03:07 AM

+Quote Post
Exoman
post Jan 9 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #18

Major

Member No.: 1,919

Thanks for the replies smile.gif

Tried the above method and eventually got it to work but my results are slightly worse than my earlier attempts which is most likely due to my lack of experience with PS. They are still good enough to use in game though.

Can I clarify the first instruction "render it large with it as close as possible" please?
Do you mean, go as high resolution as 3ds max will let you or do you mean have the model in the perspective viewport be as large as possible or do you mean select a resolution that "fits" the model as close as possible to the desired icon resolution without adjusting the aspect control? I assumed the last one and I also had the model as big as possible in the viewport.

I ask as when I reduce the size in PS to make it fit my icon size of 140 x 40, the resolution really drops off (which would make sense I guess). I used the free transform function to make it fit.

Also I made the original render in 3ds max with a white background this time, so I could use the magic eraser tool in PS (with contiguous set to off), to remove the white background, resulting in the weapon layer to be on its own. I have not yet mastered the layer mask approach.

Thanks once again smile.gif

This post has been edited by Exoman: Jan 9 2009, 11:54 AM

+Quote Post
SatNav
post Jan 9 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #19

Cesar

Group: Banned
Member No.: 752

bootyshake.gif

This post has been edited by SatNav: Apr 1 2009, 03:08 AM

+Quote Post
Exoman
post Jan 10 2009, 12:23 AM
Post #20

Major

Member No.: 1,919

Now it's looking better smile.gif

The "magic wand tool/layer via cut" is definetly a better method to isolate the weapon.

Thanks for the tips smile.gif

+Quote Post
GroovyDawg
post Jan 13 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #21

Groovy, you are GJ.
Group Icon

Group: BFSP Team
Member No.: 5,410

For those without 3DS Max, you could also use the BF2 Editor for 3D icons, although at far inferior quality, and a bit more work in PS.

The quick and dirty way.
1.Simply load the weapon in the editor, position it the way you want, take a screenshot, and clonestamp away XYZ positioning on the weapon in PS.
2.Then use the "Layer Via Cut" method SatNav prescribed above to isolate the weapon. Open up an existing BF2 icon file, duplicate a second layer and clone the background to remove the weapon.
3. Paste your new weapon icon onto a new layer over the newly cleared background.
3. Go to your black alpha channel in the channels tab, and black out the old white shape of the previous weapon.
4. Go back to your newly pasted weapon layer, and select the outside area of the weapon with the wand. Right click the selection and select "Select Inverse" to select the gun.
5. Go back to the black alpha channel, paint/white out (within the gun selection) the shape of your new weapon on the black alpha layer.

Go back to your weapon, save as DXT5.

Works much better for simple recolours that you need to match with your selection icons. smile.gif

--------------------
~I salute you, the AIX gentlemen.~

U MAD? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Asus G73JH-X3| Intel® Core™ i7-720QM | 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM | ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 1GB GDDR5 | 2x320GB Seagate 7200 RPM | 17.3" LED 1920x1080

+Quote Post
northener69
post Jan 30 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #22

Major

Member No.: 1,434

you can use these ones i created with the help of kysterama. the .rar file includes most of the vanilla bf2 weapons.

Attached File  vanillakits.png ( 355.5K ) Number of downloads: 30

Hi guys, i downloaded the icons.rar file from post 9 but can someone tell me how to install them or where to put them. I'm very rusty, i can install skin packs satnavs addons but can i install these buggers.........no!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not desperate, but it's just that i just recently reinstalled BF2 and forgot how much fun it was. I then began tinkering with my old mod and updated with all the recent fixes, skins etc that i found and i just liked the look of these. I tried then ran out of ideas :-)

This post has been edited by northener69: Jan 30 2009, 10:34 AM

+Quote Post
frank_beans
post Jan 30 2009, 04:58 PM
Post #23

Master Sergeant

QUOTE (northener69 @ Jan 30 2009, 08:31 AM) *
Hi guys, i downloaded the icons.rar file from post 9 but can someone tell me how to install them or where to put them. I'm very rusty, i can install skin packs satnavs addons but can i install these buggers.........no!

all weapon icons are installed into the menu_client.zip. open up your menu_client.zip (back it up) then dump the files into HUD\Texture\ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud for the spawn screen and HUD\Texture\ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\Selection for the in game weapon select menu.

you also need to open up each weapons .tweak file in the Objects_server.zip\Weapons\Handheld\weapon_name & edit these lines to reflect the new icon name:

ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.weaponIcon Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\new_icon_name.tga
ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.selectIcon Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\Selection\new_icon_name.tga

hope this helps.

--------------------

+Quote Post
northener69
post Jan 31 2009, 06:22 AM
Post #24

Major

all weapon icons are installed into the menu_client.zip. open up your menu_client.zip (back it up) then dump the files into HUD\Texture\ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud for the spawn screen and HUD\Texture\ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\Selection for the in game weapon select menu.

you also need to open up each weapons .tweak file in the Objects_server.zip\Weapons\Handheld\weapon_name & edit these lines to reflect the new icon name:

ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.weaponIcon Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\new_icon_name.tga
ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.selectIcon Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\Selection\new_icon_name.tga

hope this helps.

Thanks frank.....i love you.......COUGH! No seriously mate, thanks for replying and helping me out. I was originally on the right track but what i was also doing wrong was not editing FFolkes unlock zip that i had in my mod folder.

I'm happy now. bigthumb.gif

frank_beans, you have a nice day mate!

+Quote Post
northener69
post Jan 31 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #25

Major

Next problem, when i try and change the wrench and claymore it doesn't work. But the rest are fine, any ideas. sad.gif

Couldn't find the wrench or claymore folder in my FFolkes unlock.zip so i copied the two folders from default BF2 mod and copied to Objects_Server.zip\Weapons\Handheld\ in mod location and edited the tweak file as i did with the rest and they don't show up. Does that suggest there's another tweak file somewhere that i've missed? The defib, ammo, grenade, mine, medpack etc work fine so why not them...........hmmm.

This post has been edited by northener69: Jan 31 2009, 11:59 AM

+Quote Post
GroovyDawg
post Jan 31 2009, 12:05 PM
Post #26

Groovy, you are GJ.
Group Icon

Group: BFSP Team
Member No.: 5,410

I had similar problems when even though renamed it still doesn't work. There are two ways to resolve it. (In my experience)

1. All I did to fix it was re-rename wrench.tga to Wrench_AIX.tga, and reflected the changes in the tweak.
or
2. Move the problematic icon to somewhere else. Like "Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\Selection." Then reflect the changes in the tweak. ie. ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.selectIcon Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\Selection\Wrench_AIX.tga

--------------------
~I salute you, the AIX gentlemen.~

U MAD? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Asus G73JH-X3| Intel® Core™ i7-720QM | 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM | ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 1GB GDDR5 | 2x320GB Seagate 7200 RPM | 17.3" LED 1920x1080

+Quote Post
frank_beans
post Jan 31 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #27

Master Sergeant

like groovy said, all you really need to do is rename the icon image to something different & also update the .tweak file to show the new name.

--------------------

+Quote Post
northener69
post Feb 1 2009, 06:34 AM
Post #28

Major

I had similar problems when even though renamed it still doesn't work. There are two ways to resolve it. (In my experience)

1. All I did to fix it was re-rename wrench.tga to Wrench_AIX.tga, and reflected the changes in the tweak.
or
2. Move the problematic icon to somewhere else. Like "Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\Selection." Then reflect the changes in the tweak. ie. ObjectTemplate.weaponHud.selectIcon Ingame\Weapons\Icons\Hud\Selection\Wrench_AIX.tga

Just tried it and it worked straight away. Thanks GroovyDawg for helping me out and you too frank_beans. Much appreciated guys. bigthumb.gif

Guess i have to love you both now eh! COUGH!!!!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2017 - 04:29 PM