Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Eve of Destruction Redux, bf1942, vietnam and BF2 mod is standalone
sgtsev3n
post Oct 9 2016, 08:44 AM
Post #1

Captain

Group: Soldiers
Member No.: 10,626

remember the BF1942 mod "EoD" ? It was also developed and released for vietnam and BF2. It is now a standalone title and was released on may 31st, 2016. Some of you might already saw it, but i want to share it and hear your opinion about it.

Here is a video from jim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0osl8l-9gok

It costs 20 euros and can be bought on steam or on eod-game.com shop (non-steam version).

It was made by only Lotte (the main dev of the mod) and was developed 3 years long i think.

But there are many things wrong and IMO it would have been better if lotte continued his mod for any BF title than working alone on a game.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Dnamro
post Oct 9 2016, 10:46 AM
Post #2

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 46

I see some great potential and I support the indie development of the game.

There are a lot of different maps covering a wide variety of environments, with a huge of vehicles and weapons.

As a multiplayer focused game, the problem is the difficulty in getting a large group of people to play online at the same time. I am hoping with the game being released on Steam that there will be more players. Multiplayer has a lot more game modes than singleplayer. With the Photon Cloud server integration someone has to start a game and then wait for others to join. Unlike battlefield servers, where servers are up all the time, a Photon server does not start until a player starts up a game and then waits to see if anyone else is looking for a game. Which is almost hopeless, unless you happen to get really lucky, without someone coordinating events. There is now a weekly event coordinated for the EU side, but nothing so far on the American side.

The HUD is very simple. The spawn selection is automatic, like in the BFP4F game.

The singleplayer is very basic. They will capture flags and and attack, but that is about it. Infantry only and vehicle only battles are decent, but infantry currently don't attack vehicles, which makes for boring battles with infantry and vehicles. The lack of a strong multiplayer base for new players to join, means that most new players will only try out the game in singleplayer and be disappointing. I am afraid that without more singleplayer development, which is a huge undertaking for one person, that the game will never develop the player base if needs to good multiplayer. Game engines don't provide good FPS AI. That has to be developed by the game designers because it is so specific to the game.

There are also a variety of different arcade style target shooting modes. Some modes, like the sniper mode, work well for shooting practice. Others, like the one where you shoot an RPG at aircraft isn't useful for target practice, because RPGs are not designed as Anti Air weapons. The bombing run is arcadish and doesn't help with developing skills for use against other players or playing against bots. With these modes being mixed in the map list, it is unclear that these are target practice modes. This should be cleaned up with a seperate tab just for target practice modes, and dropping the arcadish modes that don't help with target practice for the main game modes.

I would love to see this game fully developed with strong singleplayer support. I believe that with the work done so far, that it would be possible to get some development funds to continue this game.

--------------------
No, my Avatar is not my dog.

+Quote Post
ridgeraiser
post Oct 10 2016, 08:17 AM
Post #3

Major
Group Icon

Group: BFSP Team
Member No.: 9,097

QUOTE (sgtsev3n @ Oct 9 2016, 08:44 AM) *
remember the BF1942 mod "EoD" ? It was also developed and released for vietnam and BF2. It is now a standalone title and was released on may 31st, 2016. Some of you might already saw it, but i want to share it and hear your opinion about it.

Here is a video from jim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0osl8l-9gok

It costs 20 euros and can be bought on steam or on eod-game.com shop (non-steam version).

It was made by only Lotte (the main dev of the mod) and was developed 3 years long i think.

But there are many things wrong and IMO it would have been better if lotte continued his mod for any BF title than working alone on a game.

By all my work, i had forgot to ask, is this game modable? Is there any mod editor made by Lotte? That would be exciting, if he could after delivered?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dnamro
post Oct 10 2016, 01:04 PM
Post #4

CinC (for now)
Group Icon

Group: Mr. Admin
Member No.: 46

In a news article, Lotte mentions that he was able to mod the game into a paintball game in about 4 days.

http://www.eod-game.com/newsarchive.htm

Also, on the first page of his news section, he mentions that he is working on smarter AI.

--------------------
No, my Avatar is not my dog.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2017 - 02:46 PM